Dispatch pistol?

Spidicus

Active member
Who carries a pistol to dispatch dogs that are still alive after hunting with rifle? I've had a couple that a pistol would be handy to finish them off once I locate them. What caliber pistol do you use?
 
I carried a 22short on the trapline for dispatching large critters. Predator calling I carry lightly loaded rifle ammo for the job. In the .224 I load 33gr HPs over a light load of 800x, 25 cals 86gr cast bullets mostly for putting rabbits and grouse in the pot. The only one I don't have a load for are 6mm's but I don't use it for pelt hunting so it is of little consequences to use a full power load.
 
Hey Bob when we do go Gopher Hunting don't leave your .22 at the house works great for when ya walk the fields and they are down the "little buggers" will pop up to see what is going on...Fun time.
 
I have rifle with ( 2 ) sub,Vel's on a card holder on stock, and I working on main coyote rifle now for it with a Sub load.
But that what I doing for 'dispatch' . If you already have a Rifle running a Can on the Muzzle . ( No need to carry a pistol ) . Just workup and carry a couple subsonic Rounds . No Need to even workup anything accuracy either . All it has to do is stay under the 1100 fps speed limit . It real quiet and you not dirtying up the area with a Big Bang.
.

subs.jpg

.
 
Last edited:
I already have a gun and too much chit to carry already :)
That's where I'm at as well.

Several years ago I shot two 15 minutes apart. After the smoke cleared, I left everything at the set, & went out to drag one to the other for the hero pics. As I was dragging him by the hind foot, I looked back to see his head was up. Back to get the gun 150 yards away, & back again to put the finisher in him

After that, I bought a Taurus T-22, mounted a Holosun RD on it, and picked up a suppressor. Now it sits at home as I don't want to pack the extra weight.:unsure::unsure:
 
mr smith 9 mil to dispatch if needed , plus self defense if ever needed .. i live and hunt in a rural area , some of my hunting stands are 2 to 3 miles from the nearest house , the 3 nearest small towns are 15 to 20 miles away .. the problem is the drug epidemic in this and surrounding counties .. in the past i coon hunted 35+ years and never had anyone bother the parked truck .. in the past 10 years or so i cant get far from the truck on a coyote stand , on about 1 in 5 of my stands the dope heads riding around looking for something to steal will stop at my truck or go up the road about 50 yards , stop and start jumping out and running back to my trk .. so far with some gentle encouragement i have never had any trouble convincing them to leave empty handed !
 
Anytime I'm hunting, coyotes or big game, I carry a Smith model 60; 1st two chambers loaded w/#7 1/2 shot for social interaction w/rattlesnakes and last three w/158 gr SWC for whatever. Surprisingly, the little snubbie patterns well at normal snake-encounter ranges (range 2 paces).
1787678418845.jpeg
1787678555382.jpeg

1787678342560.jpeg
 
I don't carry a dispatch firearm as mentioned but hunting along the border I carry a Glock 19 if I'm hunting alone and am carrying a combo gun or BA.

I've been lucky only running into bad actors once but between my dog and my drilling they decided to exit instead of a confrontation, Trooper didnt care for disreputable looking strangers. AZ between Parker and Wickenberg.
 
You will need premium 22 lr ammo for any sort of body shot on coyote, out of handguns. I have carried a GSG firefly for several winters, mainly at night sitting on baits. I also have stalked and shot a few coyote during the day(getting inside 25 yards is not easy). First few I was using some CCI seconds I picked up from a LGS. Required several body shots to finish. After cleaning raccoon out a few grain storage buildings, I installed the high velocity spring in the pistol and use high velocity ammo. Works great with green laser at night for skunks and occasional down but not out coyote(headshots).
 
I don't carry a dispatch firearm as mentioned but hunting along the border I carry a Glock 19 if I'm hunting alone and am carrying a combo gun or BA.

I've been lucky only running into bad actors once but between my dog and my drilling they decided to exit instead of a confrontation, Trooper didnt care for disreputable looking strangers. AZ between Parker and Wickenberg.

That's why I carry my G19. For a time I even carried handcuffs and my work radio.

Not only have I arrested multiple people at night who walk up on me trespassing, I also unknowingly had a dead body dumped a few hundred yards from where I was hunting. Eventually they solved the murder but just goes to show you when you're out in the middle of nowhere things can still happen... when you think you're alone, you just might not be...
 
Back
Top