Quick battery question for night sessions

Bastain

New member
Quick question for you guys—what’s your go-to backup plan for power in the field?

I keep getting paranoid about my thermal and rangefinder dying right in the middle of a good spot-and-stalk session when the temp drops. Do you guys carry a pocket power bank, or just stock up on extra 18650s?

Feel like I always forget to check levels before heading out.
 
I carry a power pack for my scanner & scope, AA's for my remote, and an extra battery for the ecaller.
on occasion the ecaller power button was on, unbeknownst to me, so I got a spare battery.
Also an 18650 ... I feel like "batteries plus"... but it works .
 
Last edited:
i carry two extra batteries for my pulsar axion scanner and have the thermal scope hooked up to an external power bank from JL metal works

 
I have extra 18650s in my pack and more in the truck. Both my scope and binos (Nocpix) have battery level indicators in the display, so there's really no excuse for letting it die. They're quick to swap out, but I always do it preemptively in the truck between stands.
 
I’m pretty anal about keeping things charged up, but I carry a power bank and cable in my chest pack as a last resort solution. I also carry extra aa’s for remote, extra 18650’s for my scope. An extra battery pack for my e-caller rides in the truck. If that dies in the field I just run my hand calls.
 
I have a couple rechargeable handwarmers that double as power cell backup. Carry a couple extra batteries in my pocket on cold nights( I can swap with gloves on). Below zero is a problem with some electronics(diodes, battery discharge).
 
I run my Thermion on an Anker 6700 which takes me thru an all nighter in PA winters. If it wouldn't or I forget to charge it, the 2 Pulsar batteries in the scope are my back-ups.
MY ST6 scanner and Nighteyes headlamp run on 18650s. I keep 2 of them in my shirt pocket.
I also keep spare 18650s, a 6700, and an APS2 in the SUV.
 
keeping spare batteries from draining in cold weather might be an issue. who wants to buy spare batteries and have the cold weather drain them before you use them...get rechargeables.
 
I use auxiliary battery banks.
I've never had a issue with my Anker/ JL Metalworx hunting winter all nighters in the negatives on any of my thermals. My Anker battery(same as my scopes) for my NOX18 scanner will last over 14 hours.
I have hunted multiple nights in a row without charging the scope battery.
I have 4 of those battery banks that I try to rotate every weekend.
They are all charged immediately when it get home if i hunt over 5-6 hours. If I don't charge them I ALWAYS unplug battery from scope/scanner.
 
That’s right. Cold weather and continuous recording will drain the battery of a thermal imager or night-vision device faster than you might expect.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top