220 Swift and 53gr. V-Max

daisy2007

New member
Anyone tried to load 53gr. V-Max in there 220 Swift. I really wanna shoot these outta my rifle. I have tried three different powders now, several powder charges, magnum and regular large rifle primers, and I cannot get anything to even be remotely excited about.
This rifle shoots 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips (IMR 4831) anywhere from .4 to .7 groups on the reg.
 
Yes, I have tried them and had absolutely no luck. My Ruger M77 does not like any Hornaday V-max at all. I know that every gun shoots different, but my Swift loves 50,and 55 gr Sierras. If you really want to get accurate, go for the 52/53 gr HPBT Match bullets. I have best luck with IMR 4064 or Varget.
 
Welcome to the board iayote!!!
grin.gif


Jack
 
Try the 52 grn. Amax. Just as explosive and they shoot much better out of my rifle. As previously stated above, it's hard to find a sierra bullet that doesn't shoot well........... IMR 4064 is also my powder of choice for the Swift.

Aaron
 
It's not the exact bullet you stated but my swift loves 55 grain v-max with 37.2 grains of 4064. Mine is a remington 700 VSF.
 
Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSIt's not the exact bullet you stated but my swift loves 55 grain v-max with 37.2 grains of 4064. Mine is a remington 700 VSF.

I had a romance w/ Varget once, then a wise old man introduced me to 4064. Glad it worked out for you as well BOBTAILS!
 
Last edited:
AA2700 with 9 1/2 primers will be a hands down winner for you at 3900 fps+.

AA2700 is a whole lot easier on barrel life compared to 4064!
 
Originally Posted By: ackleymanAA2700 with 9 1/2 primers will be a hands down winner for you at 3900 fps+.

AA2700 is a whole lot easier on barrel life compared to 4064!

I got no reason to doubt you Ackleyman as you are a long time reloader as I am, but I have not heard that AA2700 was easier on barrels than IMR 4064 was. Is there some data on this that I could read up on? Might want to make a powder swap if I like what I read.
 
Not sure about AA2700 but have used 55 grain bullets with 37.3 grains IMR 4064 and fed 210M primers for years. This load shoots right at 3700 fps. It has not shot out a barrel yet. It might wear out your barrel faster if you load 38 grains or more for you speed demons. I found this load and daily cleaning has given me good long life on my barrel and a tack shooting load. This has been my experience. Good luck shooters.
 
Back
Top