Jet Sled

Hunter55

Well-known member
Have any of you guys used the jet sled for packing out deer?
Looks like it might make a difficult job a lot easier.
Thanks!
 
they do. i have an aortic aneurysm and not allowed to lift anything heavy or drag anything that would be difficult. i have used it to drag two deer at a time on snow and its easy. it also improves dragging deer on dry ground but sometimes, not so much. i also use one of those trailer hitch deer lifts to hoist the deer up and into the truck bed.

IMG_3302.JPG
 
I haven't dragged a deer out in a long time. I use the gutless method to skin, debone, and quarter my deer on the ground where they fall. All the goodies go into game bags. Those go on the Mystery Ranch Pop Up or Eberlestock F1 Mainframe for the hike to the truck. In the bed of the truck is a 150 qt. outdoor cooler where the meat will go and be covered in ice. Then I have a couple of days before I process it. If I can hike into a place to hunt, I can hike my deer back out with me.
 
I haven't dragged a deer out in a long time. I use the gutless method to skin, debone, and quarter my deer on the ground where they fall. All the goodies go into game bags. Those go on the Mystery Ranch Pop Up or Eberlestock F1 Mainframe for the hike to the truck. In the bed of the truck is a 150 qt. outdoor cooler where the meat will go and be covered in ice. Then I have a couple of days before I process it. If I can hike into a place to hunt, I can hike my deer back out with me.
I used to use my Badlands meat pack when I was elk hunting to quarter things up, it worked great.
But I can use my ATV where I'll be hunting and figured I'd just drag him out on a jet sled, then winch him onto my ATV trailer and off to the processor... sounds easy enough ;);)
 
Have had a bad back for many years. Fortunately hunted flat country where vehicles can get within a few hundred yards of just about everything I need to. Early years used a telescoping davit I fabricated from 1 1/2 & 2" pipe and a boat trailer winch. First mounted on old 61 Ford hunting car, later moved to my pickup. The 1 1/2" pipe slips into 2" to reduce overhead clearance.
1789922369575.jpeg
1789922550047.jpeg

Later added an electric winch in bed of truck, then moved to back of jeep when quarry got a bit larger and too often would wind up in areas inaccessible to vehicle. Had to cut numerous mesquite limbs/small trees to drive in and pick up the nilgai cow on the left. Others expired in areas where thorns prevented driving close, so added several hundred yards of of 1/2" poly rope to access those. White spot in center pic is belly of nilgai about 200 yards out in roller chop. Rt hand pic we rigged a snatch block to use the rope on another out in a muddy roller chop after first burying the truck in attempt to reach it.
1789922929293.jpeg
1789955517284.jpeg
1789923350797.jpeg

The jeep came next and doctored up the tires w/slime got into a lot of brushy/thorny areas the larger truck could not; put an ATV wInch on back bumper and used it in conjunction with the boom to "fish" a few out of the really thick stuff.
1789923622601.jpeg
1789923749153.jpeg
1789923849624.jpeg
 
Have had a bad back for many years. Fortunately hunted flat country where vehicles can get within a few hundred yards of just about everything I need to. Early years used a telescoping davit I fabricated from 1 1/2 & 2" pipe and a boat trailer winch. First mounted on old 61 Ford hunting car, later moved to my pickup. The 1 1/2" pipe slips into 2" to reduce overhead clearance.
View attachment 33135View attachment 33136
Later added an electric winch in bed of truck, then moved to back of jeep when quarry got a bit larger and too often would wind up in areas inaccessible to vehicle. Had to cut numerous mesquite limbs/small trees to drive in and pick up the nilgai cow on the left. Others expired in areas where thorns prevented driving close, so added several hundred yards of of 1/2" poly rope to access those. White spot in center pic is belly of nilgai about 200 yards out in roller chop. Rt hand pic we rigged a snatch block to use the rope on another out in a muddy roller chop after first burying the truck in attempt to reach it.
View attachment 33137View attachment 33158 View attachment 33139
The jeep came next and doctored up the tires w/slime got into a lot of brushy/thorny areas the larger truck could not; put an ATV wInch on back bumper and used it in conjunction with the boom to "fish" a few out of the really thick stuff.
View attachment 33140View attachment 33141View attachment 33142
Any more pics of the hunting car, that's sweet!!
 
I think that is the only picture left, but I'll see if I can find any more. It was a 61 Ford 6 cyl standard. I was a friend's old fishing car and body was rusted out badly. Even had to weld a patch on the frame, but the engine was OK as was drive train. Overhauled the brakes, generator & starter and took a torch to the body. Towed it to the ranch and left it under a mesquite tree for 15 years.
After the floorboard in the trunk rusted through and dropped one band holding the (21 gal) gas tank, I put an outboard gas fitting and carried my 6 gal outboard tank w/me every trip. Had to carry gas up for it anyway, was actually more convenient that way. Would run several days on 6 gal. Taught my son to drive there and hauled a lot of deer over the year.

That gas tank fiasco was a hoot. I was about 5 miles from camp when I heard something dragging. One corner of that 21 gal tank, it was full & dragging the ground. I didn't want to walk back to camp and always carried a tool box. Fortunately there was a hole in the flange where the two halves of tank were fused so I took a screwdriver and opened up the hole where strap had been bolted, ran a wire loop though the hole in tank, up through floorboard and picked up the tank with my davit. Left the jury rig hooked up until I ran that tank dry enough to handle, several weeks later, then rigged the boat tank for the next 7 or 8 years.

Lots of memories racked up in that old car. :)
 
I think that is the only picture left, but I'll see if I can find any more. It was a 61 Ford 6 cyl standard. I was a friend's old fishing car and body was rusted out badly. Even had to weld a patch on the frame, but the engine was OK as was drive train. Overhauled the brakes, generator & starter and took a torch to the body. Towed it to the ranch and left it under a mesquite tree for 15 years.
After the floorboard in the trunk rusted through and dropped one band holding the (21 gal) gas tank, I put an outboard gas fitting and carried my 6 gal outboard tank w/me every trip. Had to carry gas up for it anyway, was actually more convenient that way. Would run several days on 6 gal. Taught my son to drive there and hauled a lot of deer over the year.

That gas tank fiasco was a hoot. I was about 5 miles from camp when I heard something dragging. One corner of that 21 gal tank, it was full & dragging the ground. I didn't want to walk back to camp and always carried a tool box. Fortunately there was a hole in the flange where the two halves of tank were fused so I took a screwdriver and opened up the hole where strap had been bolted, ran a wire loop though the hole in tank, up through floorboard and picked up the tank with my davit. Left the jury rig hooked up until I ran that tank dry enough to handle, several weeks later, then rigged the boat tank for the next 7 or 8 years.

Lots of memories racked up in that old car. :)
That's awesome, Having stuffed deer and coyotes in many cars over the years I can appreciate a fine machine like that.
 
Back
Top