Jet Sled

Bet they'd work OK on thick pasture grass, but we got no snow down here. Keeping blood out of truck bed is a big +, too.
We use them for all seasons. Archery season in the fall,it's much easier to pull a sled over downed trees and over brush than having the deer get caught on everything.

Friend just used his jet sled to recover a black bear . Loaded in the truck and packed with bags of ice, the mess is contained !
 
Last edited:
I think that is the only picture left, but I'll see if I can find any more. It was a 61 Ford 6 cyl standard. I was a friend's old fishing car and body was rusted out badly. Even had to weld a patch on the frame, but the engine was OK as was drive train. Overhauled the brakes, generator & starter and took a torch to the body. Towed it to the ranch and left it under a mesquite tree for 15 years.
After the floorboard in the trunk rusted through and dropped one band holding the (21 gal) gas tank, I put an outboard gas fitting and carried my 6 gal outboard tank w/me every trip. Had to carry gas up for it anyway, was actually more convenient that way. Would run several days on 6 gal. Taught my son to drive there and hauled a lot of deer over the year.

That gas tank fiasco was a hoot. I was about 5 miles from camp when I heard something dragging. One corner of that 21 gal tank, it was full & dragging the ground. I didn't want to walk back to camp and always carried a tool box. Fortunately there was a hole in the flange where the two halves of tank were fused so I took a screwdriver and opened up the hole where strap had been bolted, ran a wire loop though the hole in tank, up through floorboard and picked up the tank with my davit. Left the jury rig hooked up until I ran that tank dry enough to handle, several weeks later, then rigged the boat tank for the next 7 or 8 years.

Lots of memories racked up in that old car. :)

You have some of the coolest stories !

Thanks for sharing !
 
It made a handy "pickup", but as it turned out, removing the trunk lid was a mistake. Sitting under the mesquite tree, leaves would gather and hold moisture which rusted out the trunk floor. Caused a bit of concern that day, but actually worked out OK.
 
I use one(large) for road kill deer. I can load a large whitetail in the sled and stand it up on the tailgate to slide it into the bed. Largest critter so far, 350+ plus frozen hog. Getting the hog 200 yards from the blind in knee deep soft snow was not easy. But I know I couldn't have even moved the pig without it.
One year we had early snow, I helped my buddy(paralyzed from waist down) into a medium sized one and pulled/pushed him into muzzleloader range of a young buck). He made the shot, than I pulled him over to the deer, he tagged it. I pulled him to the truck, went and got the deer. Bit over 1/4 mile from the road. I wouldn't use mine on bare ground, it's actually an ice fishing sled.
 
Any more pics of the hunting car, that's sweet!!
I went through all the pictures I can find that survived our recent move and unfortunately no pics of the old Ford. Cut the top off, including windshield but left half of the door panels in place because the seats were so close to the ground.
Looked something like this:
1790039864447.jpeg

Used the car at least 15 years and gave it to the fellow that took my place when I moved on (about 1995 or 96). He used it a couple of years and last I heard, his dad had it on a quail lease in N. Tx.

While scrounging thrugh all the old pics, did find this picture of a buck my son took off that ranch around 1970 and a picture of my first buck in 1957 IIRC. Was very happy to find this old picture because it has a favorite beagle mix dog in it.
1790040441897.jpeg
1790040501182.jpeg
 
I went through all the pictures I can find that survived our recent move and unfortunately no pics of the old Ford. Cut the top off, including windshield but left half of the door panels in place because the seats were so close to the ground.
Looked something like this:
View attachment 33174
Used the car at least 15 years and gave it to the fellow that took my place when I moved on (about 1995 or 96). He used it a couple of years and last I heard, his dad had it on a quail lease in N. Tx.

While scrounging thrugh all the old pics, did find this picture of a buck my son took off that ranch around 1970 and a picture of my first buck in 1957 IIRC. Was very happy to find this old picture because it has a favorite beagle mix dog in it.
View attachment 33175 View attachment 33176
Nice Bucks !!
 
Back
Top