found one in my effective range

jmeddy

Well-known member
I have been out 7 nights for 23 sets so far this month. Been really slow with only 3 howlings and none seen except this one.
We were to get rain starting around midnight and last on and off for most of the week, so I figured to hunt till it started. It started just before 2 as I was getting ready at the 4th property/set of the night.
I killed this adult female on the 2nd set and was the only action of the night-sight or sound. I had walked about a half mile to the top of this ridge, got set with the call about 30 yds E with a SE wind. I started TT cottontail candy and IMMEDIATELY she comes around a bend on the right side of this narrow field. I mute, drop the scanner, hit record while getting into the gun then try to get her stopped by barking and "yelling". I think the fastest response I have ever had.
Shot was about 40yds and just unzippered her chest. I guess I was lucky to connect the way she was bounding through the knee- high hay. Felt good to finally connect as I haven't shot one since late July.

 
Glad you found a cooperative one, Mike! At least she was a head on non stopper. I much prefer those to a broadside non stopper! Lol... Thanks for sharing the hunt.
 
Way to go Mike, perseverance paid off. You can immediately see her "innards" being deployed during her short trek!
I had my last kill on August 7 and we are told by the always correct meteorologist to begin a cool down tomorrow, highs upper 80s lows mid to low 60s. Hope to make up for all the time lost to excessive heat since mid July.
 
Way to go Mike, perseverance paid off. You can immediately see her "innards" being deployed during her short trek!
I had my last kill on August 7 and we are told by the always correct meteorologist to begin a cool down tomorrow, highs upper 80s lows mid to low 60s. Hope to make up for all the time lost to excessive heat since mid July.
That wasn't innards Mag, the 10ft blood trail looked like someone emptied a bucket.
Good luck in the "cool down".
 
Back
Top