Handheld scanner vs weapon mount: What’s your preferred routine?

Quick question for you guys—when you’re out scanning, do you mostly use a dedicated handheld thermal/optic, or do you just rely on whatever is mounted on your rifle?

I tried doing everything off the rifle last weekend and my neck was screaming at me by the end of the night. Curious how you guys balance carrying both vs keeping things lightweight.
During daylight hours, do you scan with your riflescope while traveling to/from a stand or use a binocular ?
Same premise during the night.
Spotters have a wider field of view for a reason and because it isn't mounted on a bangstick that weighs in excess of 10lbs you'll be less fatigued using one.
If a person doesn't have a spotter when they're going hunting with me I'll lend them one or they don't go hunting with me.
Even when spotting on stand a dog could approach from an unsafe direction and using a scope mounted on a firearm will limit its use.
Many times I'll keep track of a dog coming in from my buddies direction while he's getting a bead on it.
Not gonna be able to do that with one mounted on a rifle.
Chest pack or lanyard.
SJC
 
I tried scanning with the thermal on a neck cord. It caused my arm and shoulder to tire quickly. P-mack built a bracket for my Pulsar 19 to be helmet mounted and it worked very well. Then I went to the Bering Optics Phenom and built a homemade bracket that worked great. Now I'm using the Infiray Finder V2 and built another homemade bracket that also works fine on the helmet. I tried the selfie-stick and just never could get comfortable with it, but I may not have given it enough time as I found the hands free so much more liberating. I should add that I shoot seated with a tripod and a chair which allows me to rotate 360 degrees when scanning.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)
 
Last edited:
Helmet mounted, dual MH25's works pretty good.
 

Attachments

  • 20221031_222445.jpg
    20221031_222445.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top