Thursday night was 1 day shy of the full moon, but it sure did not look like it. Clear skies with a brisk NE wind made it feel like November. Forecast said mid 40's with 2-3MPH winds and that is how I dressed. I got COLD! Got back to the SUV, it said 35 and the wind was at least 6-8.
The coyote I killed last Sat was one of the fastest and these were not the longest but darn near it at 78minutes in set.
This was the 3rd set of 4 set night with a lot of miles between farms. About a half mile walk back the ridge and I had a feeling that it would not be pastured when I got there which it wasn't. Looking 'down into it' it would be huntable as long as they weren't on my hillside. Call is downhill about 60yds N of me with NE wind.
About 15-20min into the set I get a group answer from across the hollow maybe 800yds away. About 20min later I get a single howl answer into a fight from my side of the hollow. I go silent for a while. I am playing a pup fight when I catch a glimpse of heat 3-350yds away. In a little bit it shows up again closer as a coyote mousing then 4 then eventually 5. I know that the fence they are in front of is just shy of 300 and want them closer so am 'biding' my time. I went from the pup fight to a pup distress, then a rabbit, a bird, and finally another rabbit before they decided to come my way.
I was hoping they would get closer (I had muted because of the bright moon and me not being in a shadow), but they must have smelled something else cause they took the quick left, so I shot. Young male DRT 215yds per onx. The other ran into a very thick briar patch about 50yds down the hill that my light would not penetrate more than a few feet. Landowner called me a bit ago and said it stinks
. From the video it looks like it should have crumbled. I think I will be leaving these 55NBTs in the rearview and loading 58vmaxes in the next day or so. My 16" barrel is giving me 3050fps at an accurate load-trying faster opened them beyond what I accept. It was the 4th runner that I have had that was hit with either the quarter away or broadside double lung. The other 3 were pass throughs--I had very few pass throughs with the vmax but out of my other gun though they were running faster. I will have to chrono my already worked up load then do some coyote testing.
This is a kinda long vid but thought some might enjoy watching the younguns learn how to catch mice or bugs--I can't think there were that many mice there. I watched them for over 10 min. before shooting.
The coyote I killed last Sat was one of the fastest and these were not the longest but darn near it at 78minutes in set.
This was the 3rd set of 4 set night with a lot of miles between farms. About a half mile walk back the ridge and I had a feeling that it would not be pastured when I got there which it wasn't. Looking 'down into it' it would be huntable as long as they weren't on my hillside. Call is downhill about 60yds N of me with NE wind.
About 15-20min into the set I get a group answer from across the hollow maybe 800yds away. About 20min later I get a single howl answer into a fight from my side of the hollow. I go silent for a while. I am playing a pup fight when I catch a glimpse of heat 3-350yds away. In a little bit it shows up again closer as a coyote mousing then 4 then eventually 5. I know that the fence they are in front of is just shy of 300 and want them closer so am 'biding' my time. I went from the pup fight to a pup distress, then a rabbit, a bird, and finally another rabbit before they decided to come my way.
I was hoping they would get closer (I had muted because of the bright moon and me not being in a shadow), but they must have smelled something else cause they took the quick left, so I shot. Young male DRT 215yds per onx. The other ran into a very thick briar patch about 50yds down the hill that my light would not penetrate more than a few feet. Landowner called me a bit ago and said it stinks
This is a kinda long vid but thought some might enjoy watching the younguns learn how to catch mice or bugs--I can't think there were that many mice there. I watched them for over 10 min. before shooting.
Last edited: