45 Auto or 22 Hornet........

William Suter

......in a T/C Contender. I swapped the AR upper for an older Contender yesterday. I went to buy parts for the upper I had recently acquired. Really had no plans on keeping it but thought if I got some cheap parts that a complete rifle might sell better than an upper needing a BCG and charge handle. Anyway, all the advertised parts weren't in stock but the guy offered me $100 for the upper. I had $50 in it. I saw a Contender on a sale table for $300. Its got a stainless 45 Auto barrel on it and Pachmeyer furniture but the hammer has the thumb part broken off. I ended up with the pistol for $250 OTD. A friend that has a bunch of Contenders and barrels offered me a blued barrel in 22 Hornet for my barrel. I'd like to have the Hornet barrel but after putting a few rounds through the 45, I like it as well. Both barrels are 10". I love the little Hornet round and bet it would be fun but that 45 is a hammer. I bet it would make a sweet pig gun. Just curious, which one would you choose???

P.S.Got a new hammer kit coming next week to repair the Contender.

William,
Is the .45 a round barrel or Octagon?
I shoot a Contender carbine in .22K Hornet and it's boring accurate.
It's a cheap deal to get your barrel reamed to K.
I see .22 Hornets in the $300 area-don't think you can do a .45acp for that.
Soup

"Down South 68-69"

Its a 10" SS round barrel with sights in VGC. Are you saying the 45 barrel is worth more? The 45 is fun to shoot and recoil is mild but the pistol it heavy and I'm sure that helps. My smith has a K reamer so it would be easy to make a K Hornet.

Its a 10" SS round barrel with sights in VGC. Are you saying the 45 barrel is worth more? The 45 is fun to shoot and recoil is mild but the pistol it heavy and I'm sure that helps. My smith has a K reamer so it would be easy to make a K Hornet.
See if he'll sell you the hornet for a reasonable price and keep your 45.

He said he has it posted somewhere for $300. As much as I like the Hornet, if I have to spend money I would probably get something with just a little more juice.

Back