200 yard range was the only thing that was open and since I was just checking for speed and functionality of the powder above and 8208 it was fine. Was pretty windy, so I'll really be looking forward to what this load can do when it is calm
This was the AR COMP, the top right was a 31.5 load to check for node speed.
Both 8208 and ARCOMP cycled fine, had no pressure signs FPS were as follows:
30.8gr of 8208XBR 3 shot average of 3053
30.5gr of ARCOMP 3 shot average of 3123
I'll be loading more up of the ARCOMP and heading back out soon
After being disappointed by my reloading skills yet again using the 67gr GSCustom bullets (106% case capacity or OAL is causing some problems I'm trying to figure out) I broke out my proven load when helping set up for a local 3-gun event. At 250 testing a swinger setup I put down a two round set that are touching. The guy who built the targets asked where I hit because you could see the target swing on the second shot and hear the hit, but no other paint blot was missing. get down there and you can see where the hollow point hit first.
You can see where I jerked the second shot at the 300 yard target
Shot some rounds through water jugs after I figured our my loading problems with the GS Customs (compressed load+ less surface area= bullet sliding forward) and got some pretty cool bullet pulls out of water bottles. While maybe not the best way to capture bullet deformation at least we stacked containers up in the same order. The local grocery store somehow got sold out of drinkingwater 1.5 gallon containers.
Anyway after having to seat the GS custom to 2.16 OAL, I'm thinking of calling the owner and asking what the extra length would get me in weight since I'd like something heavier than 67gr for deer. Either way I really liked the expansion and uniformity of it. Grouping was pretty good too.
I also weighed them. The game king weighed 33.9gr of the 90gr
original weight. Being that it started as a varmint round I'd
like to try it again and try to catch more bits of it. The GS
Custom weighed in at 66.9 of the original 67grains it started
I purchased a box of 22 Nosler ammo and pulled the bullets. As far as I could tell with prints and measurements, these cases could be used to make 25 DTI cases (with 223 case heads). I assembled some ammo in my SSA cases and Nosler cases using 32 grains of LeverEvolution, 100 grain Sierra BT and Winchester primers. I had done a rough check on the case capacity with the powder and they appeared close enough.
I shot them at 100 yards and the Nosler cases shot a nice 3/4 in group. The SSA Cases where slightly over an inch, but these cases have been used numerous times without annealing.
The Nosler cases showed slight wipes. Also checked the velocity and the the SSA cases averaged 2750 fps and the nosler cases averaged 2780 fps.
I resized both brands, cleaned in a sonic cleaner, cleaned the primer pockets and uniformed the lengths.
The control SSA group of 10 cases had a weight variation from 111.0 to 113.5 grains. The water capacity varied from 35.8 to 36.3 grains with an average of 36.0 grains.
The Nosler cases (20 of them) had a weight variation of 107.6 to 113.7 grains. The water capacity varied from 35.2 to 35.6 grains with an average of 35.4 grains. The variation of case weight could be attributed to turning the case head down to 223 dimensions.
Whole point of this exercise to see if the 22 nosler case COULD be used. I am not sure how strong the Nosler case head is, but the SSA case has a nice hard head.
Oh --- I just used a bolt carrier with a 223 bolt from another rifle. Worked like a champ.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to try out the 22 Nosler cases.
It is nice to know that we have options in chooseing cases and bolts for that matter.
25 DTI owner