My first “nice” coyote gun

price

Member
Im a fur hunter… I’m having a bolt action (likely) 22arc “built” as a dedicated coyote gun. I wanted to use a tikka action but that would take some work since they don’t make a .445 bolt face.

What action would you recommend??

I’m planning to send it to Drews Precision and have him slap it all together with one of his barrels. Although, I’d be open to other builders as well…

20Practical, 22GT are also on the list. Vast majority of my shooting is under 200 yards.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8127.jpeg
    IMG_8127.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 29
Are you calling at night or sitting on baits? Fringe hits are more likely when calling, making bullet/velocity selection more important to save sewing. As is whether you are setting up in cover or open areas. Under 200 yards its hard to beat a 52 gr Speer varmint, need enough case/powder to have 3400-3600 at muzzle for .224 rifles. Shorter barrels need more cartridge to counter the velocity loss.
 
The little Mini Howa is sweet. I like the DIP bottom metal and a bobbed factory mag, mine is a 6mm ARC but daydream about a 20" slow twist 22 ARC. Athlon 2-12 scope
.
The Remington Model 7 Predator makes another really nice rifle. I keep looking for one but nobody wants to give them away

A Rem 700 in 20P I built one with a little 20" carbine barrel, a sweet little fur friendly rifle Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20

I just put together a 16.5" Savage 10 in 223 for testing a can this season, Leupold VariX-3 1.5-5x20 with a German #1.

300 and in I'm a big fan of the .224 Speer 52gr Varmint bullet also and run it in just about everything from 222 Rem to 22-250AI, it just works for me

Good luck on your build,

Suggestions for a build.

Action: Rem 700.or clone. Barrell mid weight 20" (shorter intending to use a suppressor), Cartridge 223, 22-250 1-10 or 1-12 twist, 1-9 will work, Scope: something with at least a 50' FOV on the bottom end with a bold reticle for day hunting.
 
Last edited:
I have an impact precision 737 to start PRS I never wanted to send the parts to a smith and wait a long time. I heard the pre-fit barrels were really good and tried one on that action and it’s the most accurate rifle I’ve ever fired. Defiance makes an action for $1,000 and it takes good prefit barrels. You might prefer to spend the extra money and get a custom action, $100 barrel vise and your off to the races, without waiting months on a gunsmith. 223 rem is pretty boring but hard to beat inside 200 yards
IMG_4920.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Love my Howa mini 6.5 G action and accuracy.
Also like my T/C 22-250 for accuracy & stated purpose.
My choice would be Howa mini in 223 or 22 ARC.
Can't beat 223 for ammo availability, options, and price.
 
I agree with BOB, I'm pushing 80 and the heavies are now pretty much bench guns or relegated to close to the truck varmints. There is a big BUT there, the Howa Mini 20" heavy barrel is about 6.5# empty and makes a dandy rifle for calling preds, I have two and am looking at a 223 or 22 ARC, wish I could find one of the early 222 Rems.
 
I did some trading a few weeks ago for a Howa mini in 6 ARC. It has the carbon barrel and is in a plastic stock. Not real keen on the stock but I will say its more like what comes on a Tikka so there isn't a lot of flex in it. I can't comment on accuracy as I have only shot a few rounds through it. But it is very light and easy to carry. But that being said, if I was looking for a coyote rifle and using a Tikka action, I'd just buy a new T3x in 223 or 22-250 and call it a day. I think there are some rebates going on right now that would save you some money.
 
What he said…….

They are Coyotes, use a .243, .223, 22-250, 220 Swift - Coyotes aren’t fussy, they will take a regular caliber, why get crazy especially when YOUR shots are 200 yard and in?
It’s not that you have too, it’s that you want too lol. I like playing with unique calibers or just something different. I agree a 223 is great and I’ve killed a few with 223 but a 20 cal is especially fun. With even less recoil you can watch everything through the scope even at 100 yards.
 
unique calibers are all fine and dandy until another ammo shortage / crisis comes along.

unless you reload and stock up on all the components while they are readily available.

i'm a factory ammo guy and buy a little here and there and stick to common calibers as a just in case type of thing
 
Back
Top