What’s Working for You Guys This Season?

Iris

New member
Curious what everyone’s been having success with this season.

What calls, setups, or tactics have been working best for you guys lately? Are you mostly calling coyotes at night, during the day, or a mix of both?

Always interested in hearing what other predator hunters are doing and picking up a few new ideas.
 
Season doesn’t start until October here in NY, but I’ll take a stab at it…

My guess is that day or night, success is coming from heading out into spots that have coyotes, choosing a setup location that favors the hunter with emphasis on wind direction and assuming e-call being used, call placement. I would guess success will come from making sounds that mimic small animal distress and coyote vocalizations will be what is bringing in hungry or curious coyotes. That’s what I’ll be doing anyways come October, although I will be adding sounds from my hand calls and diaphragms as well.

What’s been working for you so far? I’m always curious myself! 😉
 
Curious what everyone’s been having success with this season.

What calls, setups, or tactics have been working best for you guys lately? Are you mostly calling coyotes at night, during the day, or a mix of both?

Always interested in hearing what other predator hunters are doing and picking up a few new ideas.

Mostly night hunt . Always a lot of coyotes breeding around the area's I hunt here. I find that some are pretty educated because they see people, and den around populated area's . Also coyotes if out in the AG area's I pretty sure that they will get shot at occasionally also .
I find myself doing little more watching and listening on spots I hunting. I will go out with my gear, and If I run into a non planned opportunity I will Pop a dog. but my main priority some nights is just scanning and listening to that area I am hunting, or going to hunt..
Watching and listening you will pickup where packs are located when they start lighting up in group howls at least once or twice in a night.
Also just watching scanning you will visually pickup dogs running there routes that are Way Out of your shot/call range in distant pastures and fields. You will see dogs that are trotting it's route in far directions, they just look like their on a mission with something specific goal on it's mind, and I like seeing just how much coyote movement is just going on around there . Watching and Listening for me, helps me make good decisions on where to make set-ups on calling or ambush.

Friday night at a new location that i never been on before, and did pop one there. There are definitely high coyote population to work on.
-

9-18-26.jpg

-
 
Season doesn’t start until October here in NY, but I’ll take a stab at it…

My guess is that day or night, success is coming from heading out into spots that have coyotes, choosing a setup location that favors the hunter with emphasis on wind direction and assuming e-call being used, call placement. I would guess success will come from making sounds that mimic small animal distress and coyote vocalizations will be what is bringing in hungry or curious coyotes. That’s what I’ll be doing anyways come October, although I will be adding sounds from my hand calls and diaphragms as well.

What’s been working for you so far? I’m always curious myself! 😉
That sounds like a solid plan. I’m especially curious how much difference you find between the e-caller and hand calls once the season gets going.

I also like your point about setup location and wind. Seems like getting those basics right can make a bigger difference than the specific call itself sometimes.

Hope you have a good season once October rolls around! Let us know how it goes.
 
Mostly night hunt . Always a lot of coyotes breeding around the area's I hunt here. I find that some are pretty educated because they see people, and den around populated area's . Also coyotes if out in the AG area's I pretty sure that they will get shot at occasionally also .
I find myself doing little more watching and listening on spots I hunting. I will go out with my gear, and If I run into a non planned opportunity I will Pop a dog. but my main priority some nights is just scanning and listening to that area I am hunting, or going to hunt..
Watching and listening you will pickup where packs are located when they start lighting up in group howls at least once or twice in a night.
Also just watching scanning you will visually pickup dogs running there routes that are Way Out of your shot/call range in distant pastures and fields. You will see dogs that are trotting it's route in far directions, they just look like their on a mission with something specific goal on it's mind, and I like seeing just how much coyote movement is just going on around there . Watching and Listening for me, helps me make good decisions on where to make set-ups on calling or ambush.

Friday night at a new location that i never been on before, and did pop one there. There are definitely high coyote population to work on.
Sounds like you’ve really learned to read an area before setting up. I like the idea of spending some nights just watching and listening rather than immediately making a stand.

When you’re scanning those distant fields and watching dogs move through their routes at night, what kind of optic or setup are you using?
 
Sounds like you’ve really learned to read an area before setting up. I like the idea of spending some nights just watching and listening rather than immediately making a stand.

When you’re scanning those distant fields and watching dogs move through their routes at night, what kind of optic or setup are you using?

I use hand held Therm spotter w/LRF

I see far off dogs all the time jogging a route that act like they already have a hard game plan pre set in their heads on their destination. Sometimes you can stop them with a quick sound. But a lot of times they stick to the action they got in motion, and they will Not vary at all.
So you got to take in consideration also, that if you just start blasting a call every time you see coyotes out moving way off. That has no intentions of ever turning around and come your direction. You are just educating and also dirtying up the place you hunting.

BUT... I not saying I will sometimes if I see a spot I like, never been to. I will just step into it at night and just quick blindly set-up and then call to see what comes in. I will do that also . But places that I will rotate/hunt around during the year. ' I invest ' little more time in spotting and listening .
.
 
I usually start when cornfields are being harvested. I ask friends when fields will be worked at night. I call the ends when equipment is running on the road end half of the field. Coyote are trying to catch the rabbits being moved around by the combines. So I run cottontail distress, don't over think it when lots of pups are learning to hunt.
 
Back
Top