1/4" all day long rifle's.....

Brad, Good Idea!

I will try to print some crappy 10fp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif groups on one of those Hide targets for ya.. you know just to be a team player and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heck, maybe even a remmington too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dont be expecting .2's though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Uncle Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, (DAA)

re: Bryant built Nesika 22BR

I suppose you are referring to the "Fire breathing dragon" rifle ... correct ?

That rifle is a laser-beam and a p-dogs worst nightmare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hope all is well with your family

Best of luck to you and Tim this season as I can't wait for another DVD

Tell Blaine I said hello.

cb {

1/4" all day long is not going to happen. The top benchrest shooters in the world with money is no object rifles, and years of reading wind flags can not do it. Total BS.

Jack

Here's one I posted a while back. Savage 12FV 223 with an aftermarket B&C Medalist stock. Everything else is original, no bedding, no custom barrel, no trigger work. Ammo is my reloads using H335 and 40gr Vmax @ 3650fps. Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40SF scope w/standard recticle.
Shot at 100 yards lasered from a Caldwel "The Rock" front rest and rear bunny ear bag from my portable bench.

This rifle is a lot more accurate than I am, I am not a benchrest shooter and never have been. But the rifle is pretty consistent and it clearly deserves better glass. It's not sub 1/4" though!

(I was testing the COAL of my load on this target and each group has a different COAL by .010")

5c4fd306.jpg

Even with the fliers, the groups measure:
A- 0.778"
B- 0.467"
C- 0.703"
D- 0.504"

I don't always have fliers, but when I do I've called them. It's not the gun or the load, it's my technique. I'm working on it...

c7c7d4b4-1.jpg

Also, this is my 40gr Vmax hunting load. My 69gr SMK load is a little more accurate.

brdeano's aggregate was .695" and mine was .613". Relatively close if you're just looking at the numbers.

But look at the pictures. Clearly one set of groups is better than the other, no question about it. Agg numbers don't tell the whole story...

100_2833-1.jpg

5c4fd306.jpg

Jack you must not have been to a really big BR match. Must of the guns there will do a sub 250 agg any day of the week. That's in early morning calm. But when you add a 10 to 15 mile wind, and marage that's when it becomes the shooter and not the gun that wins. I have been to mtches where a 250 agg will not get you in the top 20 much less win. It takes a sub 200 agg to win most matches at 100 these days some time much less.

Quote:
here is the target with no dimes on it

I was just fun'n you. As tight as the groups were, the dimes were to far away to be "covering" fliers.

I think some people are missing the point here. Just because you shoot one raged hole 3 shot group doesn't mean your rifle will always do that. Shoot multiple groups (as Crowpop & Stiff, thanks). They got the good side of the "good & bad", that is a result of mass production.

Multiple groups will tell what you can expect from your rifle in the field. It's average preformance...

I like pics bring them on!!! (I was expecting much more today as many "all day long rifles" as there are here, so far we havn't even broke the .5 barrier yet)

I did a little research. I got my new NBRSA magazine, and took all the 100 yard aggs in it it was 10 matches from across the USA. So that's 20 aggs which means 100 targets. It came out to be a .2189 average. That's with 20 differnent rifle because no one won both aggs at a match. So some one is shooting a sub 250 rifle some where.

The fact remains, if you and your rifle are consistently turning sub 25 groups then you are BR quality. I have never competed in the 100 or 200 yard matches. I have competed in the 1000 yard matches, at least until the money ran out. Normally my rifles were in the .3-.5 MOA range prior to a match. I have never won a major match, but I have placed in a few.

Don't get me wrong, I like it when fellas tell me they have a rifle that will shoot sub 25 groups or they routinely kill yotes at 750+. I really like it when I can talk them into a match for a few bucks, especially on our mountain top range where the wind howls most of the time. No, I do not win all the time, but the percentages are in my favor.
John

Quote:
I really like it when I can talk them into a match for a few bucks,

That's good stuff right there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wish I hadn't aquired that flinch from my hard kicking 22 LR. Otherwise I'd be kicking y'alls butts at my 30 yard range.

Really you need to look at your Rifles use. I used to have all those heavy barrel rifles that shot great but I lacked the money for a trailer to haul them while hunting. A good hunting Rifle should never need to shoot over 3 rounds accurate with emphasis on that 1st cold bore shot.

well i gave it a try , rifle is fine need to work on the me part.....shot a 7wsm prone bipod and rear bag....
sh2003-1.jpg

Last edited:
I gave it a try too. This is the first time I've shot at 100 with this rifle, it did ok, but it shoots better at 200 yards (in MOA). I averaged .696" excluding a flyer.

There is a part of the statement that is not being brought up in this thread nearly enough. Its the "if I do my part".
The statement as a whole has three parts to it - 1) My gun will shoot (fill in tiny amount here) 2) all day long and 3) if I do my part. On #1 we all know that there are rifles and shooters capable of small groups. #2, while it can be taken to literally it also gets thrown around too easily so it doesn't really matter. Now for me # 3 is the rub as "if I do my part" seems like an out that the shooter can take if they don't do what they claim, kind of an insurance policy. I cannot count how many people I have shot with that put two touching and then a third about an inch away and mark it off to a flinch or a flyer. Truth of the matter is that if you take the width of average crosshairs at 100yds it would be very difficult to tell a sub-inch flinch. Even if it was a flinch then that counts into the aggregate average of the shooter/rifle combinations. Now flyers are a different deal. If I chalk something up to a flyer then what caused it? Ammo, rifle, wind? Hard to prove sometimes. What if it is just what that rifle does with that ammo. Bottom line is that it is easier to get groups small by writing things off.

I decided to play. The rifle is a Remington VSF. The rifle is factory stock except I did a skin/skim bedding job and I installed a Rifle Basix trigger. The rifle has a lot of miles on it, but it still shoots. Caliber is a 22-250 and the ammo is a 60 V-Max over Varget. I went to the heavier/longer bullets due to throat erosion. The 1-14 twist does a decent job of stabilizing the bullet. Here's the target:
PM target.jpg

Now for the obligatory excuses as to why the rifle won't shoot 1/4 all day long. It's because I didn't do my part. Before I left the house, I told myself to be sure to foul the barrel. I cleaned the bore last night. I also told myself to be sure not to mix ammo. I had 20 rounds of old ammo and a bunch of new ammo with a different make of primer, different lot of powder, and a different lot of bullets.

As you can see from target One, I forgot to foul the bore. Still, I am amazed the cold/clean bore shots were only a tad low. On target four I fired the five rounds, then I dug out the new ammo while the barrel cooled. I promptly sat down and fired a sixth shot on the target. Note the shift in impact on the last target (lower) due to changes in primers and lots of powder and bullets.

Using the philosophy of "you shoot it you own it", the results show an avg./agg of .713. Without the senior moment and extra shot, the agg. drops to .637. Does anyone see a pattern developing?

Back