12 gauge dead coyote 3" 1.5 ounce T shot range for coyotes?

jasecoyote85

I have a 12 gauge that I just bought a full choke & a box of dead coyote 3" 1.5 ounce T shot and with as expensive as they are don't want to shoot too many at boxes so am wondering has anyone tried these and what range would you consider a safe shot as has to be at least 60-70 yards right thinking should be further but any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

If you don't want to waste your expensive ammo, you had better be thinking closer than 70yds. Lots of holes in the pattern more than likely at that range. A coyote can take a lot of misplaced lead (or whatever it's made of).

Last edited:
It kinda depends. If they're coming in and they stop at 60-65 yards facing you, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot. If they've busted you and they are running away, I'd have to say they better be within 30-35 yards. A coyotes backside will soak up a lot of lead. I've seen several take multiple shots in the @$$ and never slow down. I'd say if you keep your shots under 50 yards, you should be safe. I agree with Bernie P., for anything beyond that a rifle is what you want. I use a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 Scope on my rifle, and I set down at every stand with the scope set at 2.5 magnification. If I see one coming in at 200 plus yards, I have time to adjust my scope up. But if I see one pop up at 50 yards, I don't have time to turn my scope down. It's very effective. The last 4 dogs I've shot were all under 100 yards, and 2 of those were under 50. All with my rifle. Yes a shotgun has it's place, but I prefer to have my rifle in my lap when I make a stand. To make it fair, my buddy and I will change every other stand. I'll carry my shotgun and he'll carry his rifle, and we'll switch on the next stand. We also like to switch who gets the down wind side. We call a lot of areas that get called a lot, and have some smart dogs. It never fails for them to come in on the down wind side. So we always fight over it. Lol.

Originally Posted By: PowellSixOIt kinda depends. If they're coming in and they stop at 60-65 yards facing you, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot. If they've busted you and they are running away, I'd have to say they better be within 30-35 yards. A coyotes backside will soak up a lot of lead. I've seen several take multiple shots in the @$$ and never slow down. I'd say if you keep your shots under 50 yards, you should be safe.

I agree, if the coyote is coming toward you you stand a much better chance of a kill shot.

When Kentucky went to night hunting last year we have to use shotguns with lights. I started to look for a good load/choke for myself. I went with the 12 ga Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote 3 1/2 "T" shells and the Carson's Dead Coyote choke. The first time I patterned it I couldn't believe how tight it was at 50 yards and for the first time I patterned it at 70 yards just to see and 40% of the pellets were in the target. I kept myself limited to 60 yards and under. So far every coyote I've shot dropped on the spot with the farthest shot was right at 62 yards. Of course that 3 1/2 inch will also knock you on your butt if your not ready for it.

I have patterned #4 buck until it has almost broke the bank. If anybody is getting honest 70 yard killing patterns, my hat is off to them. I have used all my factory chokes and a number of aftermarket. Dead coyote on average patterned the best but I am not convinced they are worth the extra money. If you get a good pattern out of your first box and only shoot at coyotes from then, they may be worth it to you. I just came from the range this morning, I've settled on either Winchester 3 1/2 4 buck (54) pellets or Federal copper plated 4 buck 3in. (41) pellets. If you only pattern 2 or 3 times you on average will not get a true average. Shooting 10 patterns per load will show you a better average. I have had some that shoot on or two out of ten that I would pay a $1000 to do it every time. But that same load will throw 3 or 4 patterns at 50 yards that will put 2 or 3 pellets in a coyote silhouette target. I am almost convinced that patterning buck shot is black magic

Simple solution is to use Modified choke and buy the Hornady ammo that is $15 per 10 vs. $30 and then don't worry about it and test fire it see where your group is, and where it fails.

Boils down to the pattern produced by the gun, choke and load. If you don't pattern then you really don't know. Patterning your shotgun is the equivalent of sighting in your rifle.

yeah the topic kinda went void for me until I can get a different shotgun they kick so hard that it's halfway pumping the gun for me and made it to where even at 50 yards some of the BB's didn't even have enough power to go through a box so going back to the 22 mag for my night hunting until I can find the shotgun that will shoot them a little bit better any recommendations? Why is it on the topic 22 mag at night everybody seem to be saying the shotgun was the better route to go and that they only would shoot a coyote out to 50 yards with the 22 mag? well I'm holding awful good groups at a hundred with a 22 mag what is the opinion on shooting that far with the 22 mag? Needing to head shoot them to kill him or why is it that everyone so afraid to shoot 22 mags that far? I shot one at 70 yards in the top of shoulder & dropped in it tracks but after that one I got addicted & always hunted them during the day with my 223 and never calling, this is the first year of calling and trying the night hunting and I'm just curious as to why everybody wants to say 50 yards or under for a 22 mag it seems like it would easily kill them out to 100? Wouldn't it? Thanks guys for the help!!!

I agree with all who say pattern your gun. When that round first hit the market, I snatched up a box and went hunting at a target rich piece of property. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think I shot at three critters that day and came back empty handed. (there is a thread on here somewhere about it) After not killing the bobcat I shot at, and being able to see the pellets,from my elevated position, completely encircle it where they hit the dirt, I did some pattern tests. I think I got rid of the rest of the box I had and started shooting regular ol' Remington #4 buck! Do yourself a favor and pattern that round in your gun so you will know better what to expect.

Originally Posted By: jasecoyote85yeah the topic kinda went void for me until I can get a different shotgun they kick so hard that it's halfway pumping the gun for me and made it to where even at 50 yards some of the BB's didn't even have enough power to go through a box so going back to the 22 mag for my night hunting until I can find the shotgun that will shoot them a little bit better any recommendations? Why is it on the topic 22 mag at night everybody seem to be saying the shotgun was the better route to go and that they only would shoot a coyote out to 50 yards with the 22 mag? well I'm holding awful good groups at a hundred with a 22 mag what is the opinion on shooting that far with the 22 mag? Needing to head shoot them to kill him or why is it that everyone so afraid to shoot 22 mags that far? I shot one at 70 yards in the top of shoulder & dropped in it tracks but after that one I got addicted & always hunted them during the day with my 223 and never calling, this is the first year of calling and trying the night hunting and I'm just curious as to why everybody wants to say 50 yards or under for a 22 mag it seems like it would easily kill them out to 100? Wouldn't it? Thanks guys for the help!!!

You can easily hit a coyotes lungs at 100 yds, even 150 yds.(my long is 225 yds) with a .22 mag. and kill a coyote. There are two problems though. If you don't have a good broadside angle and only get one lung, the coyote can run for more than a mile, maybe even survive a couple days. Even if you get both lungs, the coyote can easily run 200 yds. Ask me how I know. Now if you hunt wide open terrain and can/don't mind tracking a sparse blood trail 200 yds., take the broadside lung shots. As far as shooting high shoulder or head shots with a .22 mag, both are DRT if the shot is well placed being close to center head or connecting with the spine. Both of these shots have very close to the same target size and it is no bigger than a tennis ball. You pretty much have to be dead on the money.

I have shot a few with a .22 mag and have some hides and some ah sh$t memories to show for it. The very first time I used an electronic call, I shot a coyote dead center frontal chest at 35 yds and lost the coyote due to heavy cover and the Texas size down pour that cut loose less than a minute after I shot. That shot will haunt me for a yet undetermined time.

100 yd noggin DRT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jasecoyote85 even at 50 yards some of the BB's didn't even have enough power to go through a box

Well there ya go! Your head is in the right place with this statement. 99% of guys talk about pattern, pattern, pattern. Well guess what? You can hit a coyote with 100% of your pellets but if none of them PENETRATED far enough to damage a vital organ the coyote still runs away. Stamp that.

Heck, I shot a coyote with my rifle one time and upon skinning him out I found a few #4's in his back side. Hmm, wonder how those got there????

Sure, you could drop a coyote at 50-60 and perhaps 70 yards. But to get them down a higher percentage of the time I try to call them in to the sub 40 yard range with a shotgun.......regardless of what the shot manufacturer or internet hunters might claim.

I shoot maybe 50 coyote loads a year, that's 'bout $300 bucks if I shoot 3 1/2 DC shells. I reload a killer load of lead "F" shot candle sticks (3 1/2" ) with an 1 1/2 load. There going as fast as I can push them out of the 870 with out a major problem. That's around 1400 fps. I do use an extended ported dead coyote extra full choke and it'll pattern at 60 yards very nice. I like a good profile shot under 60 but have killed MANY over that out to 70 yards. Most require a second shot out that far, but I have had very few get away if I hit them before they turn around and run.

PS I have a limb saver and pistol grip stock to help tame the horrific recoil.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI thought you had to use a more open choke like a modified to use #4 buck...? Not sure... just read that somewhere....Hmmmmm....

Old wives tail!
Depends on how it patterns...

jetman I've been thinking of getting some nickle plated F shot myself.I've got quite a few once fired 3" hull's on hand.Did you try loading some 3" F shot loads-see any improvement over 3" 4 buck?

YUP !
The boy and his wife don't have a 3 1/2 " we use a 1 1/8 oz. load of f in a 3" Smoking around 1450 . There is SO much difference between the #4 and F. The Kill ratio is very noticeable.
In the prime season the hair gets SO thick that the 4 buck seams to be hindered and not penetrate and there is a LOT more pellets with F.
We use "Steel" powder.

Back