12ga 3shot Black Cloud to the back of the leg

So no news from me here is good news, I've been back home in the woods with barely enough service to send a text out.

So it turns out in the flurry right after I misunderstood what I was shot with. It turns out it was a 3.5" BBB Black Cloud jammed into a 3" Stoeger, not 3" 3 shot black cloud. Two of them didnt quite exit my shin and can be seen and felt just under the skin and one wild ricochet went high into the back of my knee and stuck. But its 16 holes in the leg I believe counting exits with 3 staying in.

I was wondering why it hurt so much... I will never complain about the 3.5 killing on both ends again though, I would rather put the butt against my teeth and pull... well maybe. It's really not too bad I'm walking/gimping on it, hurts like heck but it's just muscle wounds stretching with each step. The only pain meds I've been on since 4am monday are 4 advil so count my blessings and have a heck of a story...

The door depending on exactly where I was standing and depending on how you look at it ether cursed me or saved me a heck of trouble. The door had a tight 3 or 4 inch hole blasted through, my leg has a roughly 14 inch pattern printed on it counting the high flyer and I was only around 3 feet away from the door so the door certainly dispersed the pattern quickly ether leading me to be hit instead of a clean miss or it desperced the pattern enough to keep wounds minimal instead of blasting a 3 or 4 inch hole in my leg.

And thank for all the get wells and good wishes, I never expected to be on the recieving end and it is good to hear... I will be better about sending good wishes in the future.

And thank for all the get wells and good wishes, I never expected to be on the recieving end and it is good to hear... I will be better about sending good wishes in the future.

ya.. im pretty sure that door defiantly saved you.

at 3-4 feet the uninterrupted dispersion pattern would have likely been like a flying softball at best. at worse it would have probably been closer to maybe golf ball sized.

had it made contact with you unimpeded id have to guess you'd be in a whole lot worse shape right now than a few pellets.

I've seen quite a few shotgun wounds, you got off easy. Hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Just curious, were the pellets that didn't go through your leg round steel pellets or the FLITESTOPPER pellets with the Saturn ring around them?

You may have been lucky that it was a small amount of large pellets that most of the pellets went through, instead of being hit with 3 times more smaller pellets and none of them went through.

Hang in there and get better soon!

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobJust curious, were the pellets that didn't go through your leg round steel pellets or the FLITESTOPPER pellets with the Saturn ring around them?

You may have been lucky that it was a small amount of large pellets that most of the pellets went through, instead of being hit with 3 times more smaller pellets and none of them went through.

Hang in there and get better soon!

I'm not sure, I have wondered the same thing. I do know that what is in my leg doesnt show up on xray, CT scan only. I figured the steel shot would have stuck but that should show on xray, I'm not sure what the Saturn ring stuff is made of.

I tried asking questions but in the trauma area it was always the next person showing up to look at me that could answer. I only got a brief look at the CT scan on a small monitor across the room.

Originally Posted By: tractormanSo crazy question here, do they leave the shot in or remove it?

in my case they removed the ones that were easy to get to, like just under the skin. they said digging for the deeper ones would do more damage than just leaving them. so they left them.

i asked about lead poisoning. they told me lead poisoning dont work like that. he11 if i know. lol

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: tractormanSo crazy question here, do they leave the shot in or remove it?

in my case they removed the ones that were easy to get to, like just under the skin. they said digging for the deeper ones would do more damage than just leaving them. so they left them.

i asked about lead poisoning. they told me lead poisoning dont work like that. he11 if i know. lol

at least in the OP's case... lead poising shouldn't be a concern as black cloud is either steel or steel/tungston combo from what i can tell.

waterfowl ammo is all lead free afaik isnt it?

Yeah I was happy to hear I was hit with black cloud because the only shell my buddy knew he had on him was an old paper hulled 2 buck. My first thought was that I was hit by a horse (I work with horses, getting kicked in the calf can happen easy)an instant later I realized no horses here and my next thought was that I was hit with that antique.

First time I saw a bullet by x-Ray, was a retired guy in for his chest x-Ray. I was in college, worked part-time in radiography dept(I was taking radiography classes besides my biology). The staff asked me to do the chest workup, then at small hospital, you developed after the x-Ray. I saw it, looked like an intact 22 rim fire bullet. Obviously no surface wound. Later the radiologist called us all in, asked the group what they saw on the film, no one but me said anything. I said looks like a 22 bullet, the radiologist then told us the story, 60+ years before the man and his brother were playing, on the farm with their 22's. The guy got shot, he and his brother were afraid of getting in trouble, because it didn't bleed much neither told anyone. We were the 3rd, different, x-ray unit to see his chest film with bullet.

Glad your okay, that could've been a lot worse
I was always taught to never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
I know people try to say the Remington trigger fiasco was just from people adjusting their triggers but I know first hand that isn't true.
I had a .270 that went off twice. I had never touched the trigger and had kept it clean. The first time I had just reloaded and as soon as I closed the bolt it fired. I chalked it up as maybe I accidentally did aomething. The next time it did it I had a coyote come up to the back of the house and the .270 was the closest gun I could grab. I cocked it and As soon as I took the safety off it fired. I knew it was the gun.
I didn't shoot it any more for a couple of years. I was happy when they come out with the recall.
Always be aware of where you point a gun. You just never know.

In the middle of the day, after getting stretched out and before being worn out I can walk with hardly a limp for short bursts but walking still hurts, that's the worse part though, weight is no problem.

I plan on trimming hooves on a horse or two tomorrow, so things couldnt have gone any better really.

Back