.17 Hornet

Originally Posted By: SShooterZ

What will make the 17HH so successful when the 17FB is ballistically in the same league and we're see that round slowly removed from factory chamberings?

That's a very good question. That's not a good sign, IMO as the 17FB is a very nice case. I have an improved version, luckily I bought a bunch of brass when it was around, but it is a little disconcerting about the factory chamberings being discontinued.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

Move away... but to what case??? There are few small center fire cases that are suitable, that haven't already been tried.

The 4.6x30 for one. Little less capacity, sans the rim.
2012-02-17081934.jpg

Originally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: reb8600There will be an accuracy advantage and power advantage over the 17 HMR. The 17 HMR is not even in the same class as the 17 Hornet, no comparison at all.

Yeah but the 17 fireball is. In fact you can probably push it faster. So why is it fading and the 17HH is so great?

What will make the 17HH so successful when the 17FB is ballistically in the same league and we're see that round slowly removed from factory chamberings?

There were problems with the introduction of the 17 Fireball.

The 700 action is about 10 sizes too big for the case - they did not eject reliably. The Fireball really needed a smaller action, but Remington does not have one.

Also, the chambers on the Remington rifles were cut large (probably to make sure that there was no conflict with the 17 MK-IV that the Remington was taken from - the over sized chambers did not help accuracy.

Bringing in a new cartridge takes more planing than many companies want to do... and the varmint cartridge field is getting pretty crowded right now.

I "think" that the 17 Hornet will fill the place that the 17 HMR couldn't fill - the colony rifle, and the small farm (crows and woodchucks to 250 yds) rifle.

When the CZ entry shows up, it will be a tack driver out of the box.

Model 7 action for the fireball seems to work well. And I have read about the sloppy Rem chambers, so I think you're right in there.

As for the CZ, they're all tack drivers. Well all of mine sans my .22H, but it wasn't too bad.

Is there any logic to greater success when a round comes from an ammo manufacturer (Hornady) vs. a rifle manufacturer (Remington)?

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: reb8600There will be an accuracy advantage and power advantage over the 17 HMR. The 17 HMR is not even in the same class as the 17 Hornet, no comparison at all.

Yeah but the 17 fireball is. In fact you can probably push it faster. So why is it fading and the 17HH is so great?

There were problems with the introduction of the 17 Fireball.

The 700 action is about 10 sizes too big for the case - they did not eject reliably. The Fireball really needed a smaller action, but Remington does not have one.

Also, the chambers on the Remington rifles were cut large (probably to make sure that there was no conflict with the 17 MK-IV that the Remington was taken from - the over sized chambers did not help accuracy.

Bringing in a new cartridge takes more planing than many companies want to do... and the varmint cartridge field is getting pretty crowded right now.

I "think" that the 17 Hornet will fill the place that the 17 HMR couldn't fill - the colony rifle, and the small farm (crows and woodchucks to 250 yds) rifle.

When the CZ entry shows up, it will be a tack driver out of the box.

I agree Cat. Big Green didn't handle the FB very well, but everything costs money... Can't wait to see how the CZ's do. I don't know what has taken Savage so long, I heard they had feeding design issues...hopefully CZ will get it right before they release anything.

The Ruger would be the cat's meow. The rifle feels like a rifle, solid and strong, smooth action, 3-position safety, good looks. Well, that's what I will wish for.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The Ruger would be the cat's meow. The rifle feels like a rifle, solid and strong, smooth action, 3-position safety, good looks. Well, that's what I will wish for.

I love my CZ, but I will be buying a Ruger once they come out....
thumbup.gif

One of my 17AH's

-1.jpg

It's an old style Cooper M38. Shoots 1/2 MOA. Think I'll keep it. Photos taken before I installed a Lupe VX3 4.5-14X50 scope on it.

I wonder if anybody is toying with the 5.7x28 necked down to 17 yet? It is becoming popular thanks to the FN pistols. Again, Remington won't have anything for it unless they can do something with their mini-mauser 799 actions. I wonder why they don't push that more for their small varmint actions?

Originally Posted By: claimbusterOne of my 17AH's

-1.jpg

It's an old style Cooper M38. Shoots 1/2 MOA. Think I'll keep it. Photos taken before I installed a Lupe VX3 4.5-14X50 scope on it.

you don't actually take that thing outta the house do ya?!!?! That'sway too pretty for that!! LOL! Nice stick.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyWoot! Woot!
w00t.gif

That's the one I was looking for. Wonder when available?

Knowing Ruger, probably around the next election......the one where Hillary finally gets to run for president!! LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: reb8600Rugers price seems a little high to me.

Your getting a 24" barreled stainless/laminate rifle, plus their really sweet rotary designed clip! Quality does not always come cheap.

grin.gif

Back