.17 Predator,,,looking for some information

Dultimatpredator

I am interested in this round after doing some research on the .17 Rem. The questions I have is dose someone readily produce preformed brass for it? How about loading dies? I read somewhere that someone was using a different caliber die to load this round, it that because no one offers a caliber specific round for it? I have a friend who is a smith and I havent bugged him yet on this round but thought I could have him rebarrel a short action for me. Is there anything special I should no about this round? I read the predator is Coyote thumper way out to 500 yards producing over 500fpe. from a 30g bullet with around 4100 muzzel velocity.(providing I can hit em at that distance). I'm just looking for something a little more fur friendly with enough smack to DRT em.

I have brass and dies both for a 17 Rem. Might be interested in selling them if you go that route. I have a friend who thinks the 17 Rem. and the 17 Fireball in as good as it gets. I tried them, wasn't overly impressed but thats why they make different calibers. You will find many here that like them alot. I just prefer a bit more horsepower. Neet little caliber, but just not for me.

Pyscodog

I too got the .17 caliber wildcat bug and the thing that seems to be causing the most distress is the forming of brass. Right now I'm leaning towards the .17-.204R. Figure I can just neck down using bushing dies and a .17FB seater to simplify the forming process. Gave some thought to the .17 Tactical too. Check out www.saubier.com for more info. Good luck and post lots of pics.

The link duckdog provided is GREAT info and exactly what I found while searching for same...

From all I've learned from reading & speaking with fellow hunters about it, the .17P is flat out WICKED, both terminally & ballistically! Not many calibers can hang with that little devil inside of 400 yds as a flat shooting death ray! It makes the trajectories of my 25 and 7 Wizzers look like catapoult throws...

Hopefully, my .17P build will be done before too long so I can get after the "chore" of fireforming those cute little cases. Still can't believe what a hammer job those 30gr Golds do on yotes!!! Check out Varmint Safari IV and see for yourself...

Quote:
I didn't really understand the forming process, would someone care to elaborate on that?

There's nothing to it. Just neck 'em down, leaving a false shoulder to hold headspace with some crush (zero headspace) during fireforming. Fireform (kill something during this step). Done. Very simple, as far as wildcats go.

- DAA

setting a false shoulder means you neck the brass down but not clear to the shoulder you only neck it to create a crush fit. Where you neck to then becomes the new shoulder it simply holds the headspace while the brass fireforms. Its really a simple process although Im never patient enough to hunt with fireforms loads Im usually too excited to shoot them. Fireforming is much easier if the preadator reamer is ran deep and 204 brass is used to make the case it not only gives a little more case capacity but also doesnt require a forming die like the 223 case does.

Here is a pic of some 17 Cal.s..
From left to right: 17 HMR, 17-221, 17 Mach-4, 17 Rem., 17 Pred., and a 22-250 ackley for size comparison...

P.S. if anyone needs help or more info on the 17 Pred. feel free to ask me or DAA.. Oh i'm not sure if DAA has a Reamer for the Pred. but my gunsmith does and he does good work (SGR custom Rifles)

IMG_2020.jpg

I have a 17 P and absolutely love it.. Its a wicked little feller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and then came the 17 POS no its not what ya think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It stands for predator on steroids LOL its a 17- 204 just flat out NASTY.. Ive yet to crono it yet im still fire forming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

here is basicly the same principle
second from left is a 270 win. case, third is a 270 necked to a crush fit in a 6.5 Gibbs chamber (notice the false shoulder which holds the headspace until the case is fireformed)
far right is a 270 case after fireforming in a 6.5 Gibbs chamber, left of it is a 270 round for comparison, notice how the shoulder is sharper and moved foreward.
100_0293.jpg

Hope this clears it up
RR

If I understand it right, you neck down the .223 to .17 and leave a false shoulder, then fireform, and your done. With the .17-.204 you do the samething just with a .204 case right?

I also went with the 17-204, no real fireforming just neck size your 204 to 17 and your ready to go, I believe it has the slightly more case capcity than most other 17 wildcats. Mine is very accurate with the 30grains and also does well with 20's.

if it was a true 17-204 you would neck the entire neck to the shoulder as the 17-204 would headspace as the 204 does so there is no need for the false shoulder. Carvercalls rifle uses a 204 case with the predator reamer so it needs the false shoulder. So the answer is no you dont need a false shoulder unless the wildcat cartridges headspace is longer than the parent case.

.196 is pretty tight mine is a .199 and it still requires turning in with the 223 case with the 204 case your good to go though.

Back