2-3 K Thermal

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWell thought out Isu. For some predator hunters an investment of many thousands of dollars is pocket change, but for others it is a major outlay, and still others completely out of reach.

Before investing what I personally call big bucks (running into the thousands), one should know they are serious about this and intend to stick with it. As others have said, being successful and committed during daylight or using lights (if legal) increases the likelihood that it isn't just some fad to try.

The rewards are great for the committed predator night hunter, but it is not for everyone. Some good hunters I know just can't get past the eerie feeling of being out in pitch dark all alone. I will tell you there is far more danger in night hunting not especially from animals, but it is easy to drive into a bad place, fall while walking, and generally most anything you easily attempt during daylight is much more difficult in the dark including shooting.

Great points... one needs to evaluate their desire to hunt at night before making large purchases. For me, I started out slow but realized fast this game is certainly for me... so dropping 7K-8K in a thermal and support gear was an easy decision.

It's a great challenging sport I can do all year long. The costs are in-line with a small Jon boat, 10hp motor, trailer, etc., but I don't fish lol. Expensive set of golf clubs, golf cart, trailer, greens fees... same thing.

As far as hunting with others at night, I generally only hunt with two other individuals who are serious like I am. It's not that I don't mind taking someone, as I have in the past, but "wanting" to go night hunting and then putting in the work to do it sometimes differs.

I'd say I do 90% of my hunting at night alone... I like it that way. I don't have to worry about someone else's schedule, their problems, etc. I hunt certain areas and tell my wife if she wakes up in the am and I'm not there, you know where to start looking...lol. Hunting alone lets me do things on my schedule, the way I like it, and that makes the hunts better IMO.

Bottom line... like mentioned, quality gear for night hunting makes it all worth while... that is, if you feel the sport is for you.

I'm south of Council Bluffs if you ever get that way. I can show you a 2k scope, and a 6k scope. And let you pick my brain with any questions.

I have at least 2 guys that hunt with me at night very regularly. They are very dependable, safe, and fun to hunt with. If I had to go by myself all the time I would not do it. But that's just me. It is a lot for one guy to do at night and be successful. Also, as someone mentioned, lots of holes and ditches and fences to mess you up. I like having someone else there in case something would ever happen.

Last edited:
This is the first year for thermal with my two partners. It's definitely different hunting in the pitch dark. As far as I know neither of my partners have hunted alone but I have quite a bit. I prefer to have one of them with me but I'll go by myself, I'm a long time bowhunter and I work in a fairly solitary job etc so I'm used to being alone I guess. But it is definitely more fun and more successful with a partner. As previously said, it's a lot to do by yourself.

You should defintely NOT plan on shooting 4-5 coyotes per night, that will not happen. It might happen once, but you will have alot more nights when you will make 4-5 stands and see nothing.

Your land will dictate how many you can "potentially" put down a night. I don't have all that much land, so putting down 4-5 a night, is never going to happen. But I'm apart of a lot of groups where guys can kill 20 a night, but they are usually in Texas with ten's of thousands of acres to hunt.

Back