204 powders

Originally Posted By: 07yzrysderi got benchmark as it was what he had in stock. so ill be testing that in the SD upper as well.

Benchmark works well with the 35gr Bergers. Can't say for the 39's. Never used them. Good luck!

This is the custom 204 I built last year.

It likes R10x real well.

Not the best way to test powders but I loaded a max charge up, 5 rounds each: W748, H322, H335, Benchmark, H4895. All shot 1/2" or better but R10x turned in the best groups. I had Krieger make this 1/10 twist specifically for the 39 SBK. I used a PTG match reamer that eliminated the typical jump to the lands for this cartridge.

Man youre bullet was deformed going through the target! Jk excellent shooting there. I am curious about coal as well, with the ar mag do you jist load to mag length and make sure you work up slow?

Since this a bolt gun I started .005" off the lands. I'm not much of an expert on the AR platform. Maybe OT will chime in. I certainly don't advise anyone else starting off at max charge, maybe middle of the scale. You definitely will want to test the full range in small increments before drawing any conclusions for any powder tested.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:I loaded Varget, Benchmark, and W748 pushing some 34 grain Dogtown's....How many did you load of each charge, in what increments, and what kind of working range??

My reason for asking is that if you are taking a 'Hail Mary' approach and only loading a single powder charge, or increasing in large increments, you will very likely wind up wasting your components, without achieving any real information...

I've found that the .204 also responds differently to standard or magnum primers in the accuracy department...

I don't have any experience with the Dogtown bullets in the ..204, but in my .223s, they didn't provide the consistent accuracy that my Sierra or Nosler bullets did...

I loaded three of each load but after shooting them I think I should have went with 5 of each load. What would you recommend in powder increments? Also which primers have you found to be the best magnum or standard?

I load my test loads for .204 and .223 in .1gr increments due to the small case size and start a full grain below published max load from a couple of sources...Usually the bullet and powder manufactures respectively...

I put together 10 rounds of each charge weight and only fire five until I get the best group from a really stable firearm set up, using a lead sled, where all I'm touching is the trigger...Once I find the best accuracy, I'll use the other five rounds as verification for the load and tear down the others to reset the components...

I run magnum primers in both of my .204s, CZ and AR..Using 39gr SBKs, I get the same degree of accuracy out of both rifles with the same load...

The load below was worked up in 2007 and I've never found a reason to change it...Most of my really acurate loads will fall between .4gr and .7gr below published max..

This is a couple of good loads that came up for a .223

Obviously, only change one component/factor at a time when working up test loads...If, for some reason, I don't get an acceptable group at first, then I'll start working with seating depth in very small increments, but usually that's the last factor I consider...

This is my set up for using a lead sled,,,The sled is strapped to the concrete bench and the rifle is lightly strapped to the sled to keep it from moving once I get my sight picture...

Last edited:
So few reoccurring things ive noticed with 204, small increments as the velocity can change quick and i keep hearing magnum primers help.

Also just to note if you go below the min powder make sure the bullet left the barrel, wether you seen a splash or a hole in the target. Prob 1 in 1000 where you go a hair below and the round gets stuck but it can happen.

Thanks for all the info, I have my reloading supplies tomorrow so ill be trim chamfer debur flash hole uniform and primer pocket uniforming as well as loading a test batch to mag length since i wont be able to do any longer. and if the jump requires shorter ill amke it happen. Cant wait to put this gun on paper and then to fur!

I had very good results pushing 32gr and 40gr V-maxes with H322 and Benchmark.

That said, I pretty much use only 40gr now and burn more BLC2 than anything else.

I have lots of TAC on hand. I may give it a go eventually........

Reloader 10, X-Terminator, Tac, W748, Benchmark, H4895 have all produce good groups. Rifles are differant but any one of these should work great.

I worked with a rem 700 and it didnt like benchmark at all. I shot some 32gr v max and 39gr bk's, ended up shooting some 1/2moa groups at 300yds with H335.

The last loads I used with the 39 gr. BK was X-terminator. 25+ grains. I remember my 12FV liked benchmark but I was loading 40 grainers for the 223 with it. 32 v-max's I load with TAC.

Back