.22-250 for deer?

The Marlin 336 in 30-30 does not kick bad. if that's still too much for a youngster, you could always put a pad on it.

The 22-250 is pretty popular around here for deer, but I've never shot one with mine.

My personal opinion is that if a youngster is going to shoot a .22-250 on deer, they should have a perfect broadside shot, no greater than 100 yds, and understand that good bullet placement is the difference between killing and injuring game. While a .30-30 is a geat deer caliber, I would advise more towards a .243, 7mm-08, or .308 bolt action rifle. There are less moving parts to have to think about operating, and the weight of the rifle would absorb the recoil better than a light weight lever gun. You can shoot a heavier bullet in these calibers for better penetration than the little .22-250, 55 grainer. Good hunting to you and yours!

It is illegal to use anything under 243 cal here

Must use expanding bullets that weigh min. 70 grains for deer, pronghorn
and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact energy (at
100 yds.) of 1,000-ft. pounds as rated by manufacturer.

Check your regs

I would think most youngens could handle even a 243 it is not that much more pop compared to a 22-250

My mother got a weatherby eyebrow from a 243win. With good training a youngster could avoid such things but youngsters, like my mother, dont fit our guns the way we do and in the heat of the moment, a youngster could get hurt like my mother did..
Most of the kids in my hunters education classes kill their first deer with a 223 but one lil girl I remember most was one that went on to kill her first deer with a 22-250rem. her father told her that if she killed a deer with his 22-250rem "first shot" she could have the rifle as her own. Her first deer was a 300lb mulie with 7 points on one side and 9 on the other and a 28" spread.
Her load was a "factory" rem (pointed soft point?) in 55gr. She shot it through the heart and it died within 20 feet of where she hit him. The range was 225yds according to her father and now he's the owner of a new 22-250 because his daughter owns his old one.
Since my mothers accident, she's gone on to kill lots of deer with a 223 and my father, son,myself and wife have all killed deer with the 223 as well. My cousin killed the biggest deer of his life with a 222rem and factory loaded ammo. My largest antalope was killed with a 22-250 in the middle of a prairie dog town.
In my opinion, a 22-250 and 223 is about perfect for deer. If a lil girl can kill her first deer (a trophy I might add) with a 22-250, anyone should be able to.

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote My mother got a weatherby eyebrow from a 243win. With good training a youngster could avoid such things but youngsters, like my mother, dont fit our guns the way we do and in the heat of the moment, a youngster could get hurt like my mother did..

With a little bit of proper training, anyone should be able to avoid Weatheyby eyebrow from a 243. Even a mother....

-BCB

Yeah, if she can get her face close enough to the scope to see properly while shooting a rifle built for a man. She made the mistake of putting the butt of the rifle in her arm pit because she couldnt get a good eye picture on her small framed body with the butt properly possitioned..

My first deer was shot with a Remington 760 in 308. (Hence my user name) While I don't deny the 22-250 is more than capable for deer, I would prefer more gun. Especially for younger shooters who may not get too much "Buck Fever" and rush or take a 'marginal for caliber' shot. My wife prefer to shoot my 7mm Rem Mag. She shoots it best of all of my rifles. She will be carrying it this fall after her first white-tail. I wish I could be there, but Uncle Sam has other plans for me.

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote Yeah, if she can get her face close enough to the scope to see properly while shooting a rifle built for a man. She made the mistake of putting the butt of the rifle in her arm pit because she couldnt get a good eye picture on her small framed body with the butt properly possitioned..

That sounds like a classic case of someone not being trained as to what not to do.

Plus, if they're gonna' be hunting, get them equipment that fits their size. There's lots of youth size rifles available in good deer calibers at very reasonable prices.

-BCB

point is, the 243 can split the skin bad enough for 6 stitches, I highly doubt the 22-250 would.

She was young when it happened, she's been educated thuroughly since then.

You sound extremely knowledgeable about these things....

How many stitches do you estimate a 22-250 might cause if held the same way...? Relatively speaking of course...

Provide proper fitting equipment and a child or women can effectively shoot a cartridge/rifle combination that isn't marginal for the task. And you won't have to estimate how many stitches they might get...

-BCB

Most states here in the east have a .24 cal minimum for deer. Even if they didn't I'd never use any centerfire 22 for deer because where I hunt many weigh close to 200 lbs. Regardless of bullet brand or construction I wouldn't be confident with a 22 centerfire.

IMO a 243 is a much better dual purpose predator/deer round than a 22-250.

Isnt marginal!!!!!!!!
And since your so Knowlegeable, just how big of a gun do you need to shoot deer?
I just told you that lil boys and girls kill deer every year with nothing more than a 223. Are you saying a 22-250 isnt big enough? You need to practice a lil.

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote Isnt marginal!!!!!!!!
And since your so Knowlegeable, just how big of a gun do you need to shoot deer?
I just told you that lil boys and girls kill deer every year with nothing more than a 223. Are you saying a 22-250 isnt big enough? You need to practice a lil.

LOL..!!

Well.... now I know since you told me... Whoopee..!! Getting that information from you is invaluable. I bet it and $1.25 will get me a cup of coffee where I live

I generally shoot deer with a BB gun or a sling shot.... Sometimes I use a large caliber blow gun with poison darts I get from a secret place in the Amazon River Basin from a primitive tribe. I trade them Camel cigarettes for the darts. LOL..!! OK..?

You need to work on not taking yourself so seriously all the time...

-BCB

Im a serious man
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote Im a serious man
smile.gif

No doubt about it....

Lighten up and you won't maybe have a coronary lugging a 22-250 after deer....

-BCB

Originally Posted By: MRhinefieldMost states here in the east have a .24 cal minimum for deer. Even if they didn't I'd never use any centerfire 22 for deer because where I hunt many weigh close to 200 lbs. Regardless of bullet brand or construction I wouldn't be confident with a 22 centerfire.

IMO a 243 is a much better dual purpose predator/deer round than a 22-250.
The 223 is legal for deer in MD. I know people who have been using a 223 very successfully for years.

Jack

You might consider finding out if you can get a second barrel to use when your son is old enough. As I understand it most Savage rifles are set up to allow the barrels to be switched.

Originally Posted By: chris112You might consider finding out if you can get a second barrel to use when your son is old enough. As I understand it most Savage rifles are set up to allow the barrels to be switched.

Why would you change the barrel? Many guys that actually use a 250 for deer have told them how good they are for that purpose. Others that dont use the 250 for deer try to change his mind because the believe it wont work. IMO your son will have an outstanding rifle and cartridge for deer when hes old enough to get after them. Good luck

Back