22-250 Rem with Carbon Fiber barrel.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: liliysdad

As for why...weight and rigidity. You get the all the benefits of a bull barrel without the weight, while actually gaining a stiffer barrel than comparable diameter SS or CM. Couple this with reduced heat sensitivity and significantly lower harmonic vibration...there really isnt a downside other than cost.

This is their claim to fame but many gunsmiths and barrel makers dispute it. They have a certain "cool" factor and I think they look good especially when used with a muzzle brake that's the same diameter. I'm considering putting one on my 6.5-284 that has a Sendero size barrel contour, because I'd like to shed some weight out of that gun and going to a smaller contour barrel while using the same stock with a larger barrel channel would look like a hot dog sitting in a canoe.

The stiffer barrel bit is usually coupled with fine print that reads when compared to a carbon wrapped barrel of equal weight so if that's how they do the test, comparing the stiffness of a carbon wrapped barrel to say the weight of a Sendero contour barrel the carbon wrapped barrel would be how many inches in diameter??

I think the biggest benefit they provide, is aesthetics.

Originally Posted By: B23I think the biggest benefit they provide, is aesthetics.

thumbup.gif

I would consider weight saving to be more beneficial than aesthetics. Temp control is another big asset of the CF barrels....but yes, they do look cool.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI would consider weight saving to be more beneficial than aesthetics. Temp control is another big asset of the CF barrels....but yes, they do look cool.

They only really save weight when you compare them to an equal diameter all steel barrel but compared to a smaller contour barrel like a #3 or #4, then I think it's a pretty minimal difference. Like I said before, I'm considering one because I want to keep the same stock on the gun that currently has a Sendero contour barrel and if I put a #3 or #4 in that stock the barrel channel makes the setup look like sh1t.

As for the temp control you speak of, there is soooooooo much debate on that going both ways depending on which barrel company you talk to, to be honest, it's not even a factor for me and in my opinion it's more marketing than anything else.

I do agree that they look cool and for my application, I see it as worth taking a chance.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelThose all 20 inchers?

No Sir they are all finished @ 18".

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntr

Skinney- In your opinion what justifies paying the premium for the carbon wrapped barrels when steel barrels shoot the same style groups?

For a hunting rifle, IMHO it's a no brainer. Think about it, especially in a Big game rig, whether it's a truck gun or a mountain rig, you're putting minimal rounds down range annually, maybe, MAYBE 50-100, why not (it's going to last you 10-20yrs at that rate), it's lighter, shoots just as good or better than SS, You can run a heavier contour that's more rigid and just as light than that of the pencil contour. For precision and accuracy, that's always a benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I run Rifles with 18"-22" AMU and M24 SS contours that weigh about 13+lbs wet, and LOVE them. Carbon has it's place, and they may just spoil us by cutting LBS off our platforms while giving us the same precision, and possibly better performance, and benefits.

I know one thing, my fingers aren't going to lose any skin on a carbon wrapped barrel, like they have on steel in 0 degree temps
wink.gif

Worth 800? LOL, you know where that road will take us. I know the time and labor that's put into them by the manufacturer they are, and I know to us they are as well.
I've got a lot of details on the these barrels that will be coming out in our video review of these new MK1's we designed, some won't appreciate but most will.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
I just read a post on the hide and they were saying prices were around $690. Sounds better than the prices I saw.

Don't get your hopes up, that guy was selling barrels on a demo plan from Hardy Engineering and is no longer a dealer, best price you are going to get is around that 800 to 850 mark.

Thanks Skinney for your input. Everyone has their own idea so I appreciate you sharing yours. I may have to follow you down this crazy rabbit hole.

Originally Posted By: skinney
Don't get your hopes up, that guy was selling barrels on a demo plan from Hardy Engineering and is no longer a dealer, best price you are going to get is around that 800 to 850 mark.

So Dallas Rifle isn't a Hardy dealer but has them for sale or???

I'm not trying to start any sh1t so if you choose to reply by pm, please, feel free. I was going to buy one of two of them on their group buy deal but if they aren't legit or you get some kind of run around where they tie up your money for months and offer no product, I'm not interested. You sound like you know more than I do about this so a little insight would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: skinney

So Dallas Rifle isn't a Hardy dealer but has them for sale or???

I'm not trying to start any sh1t so if you choose to reply by pm, please, feel free. I was going to buy one of two of them on their group buy deal but if they aren't legit or you get some kind of run around where they tie up your money for months and offer no product, I'm not interested. You sound like you know more than I do about this so a little insight would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't say that, I quoted physcodog, and he said someone on the hide was selling them for 690.00, I can assure you, anyone selling them at that price is not a dealer, and if they are, they won't be tomorrow.
As far as I know Dallas Rifle is selling them right around MAP for the group buy, IF it is seen it below that, my above statement stands, they won't be a distributor much longer.

Would love to order a 243 tikka prefit in light varmint at 20" for a nice multi purpose rifle. Slide that bad boy in a manners eh1 midnight camo, da*m that'd be sexy

If you go to Dallas Rifle dot com and put in the group buy code they are $690 and regular price on their site says $790.

For me, I don't like the fact they not only don't have a store front but the only communication is through email, there is no phone number on there site and that's one of those little things that always makes me go hmmm or I'd probably already have one on its way.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI dont find it misleading at all...Surely no one would think the entire barrel is CF?

As for why...weight and rigidity. You get the all the benefits of a bull barrel without the weight, while actually gaining a stiffer barrel than comparable diameter SS or CM. Couple this with reduced heat sensitivity and significantly lower harmonic vibration...there really isnt a downside other than cost. how many people voted for Hillary ,and you don't think any one would think that. lots of dumb people.

I see you went with the Bighorn SR3 actions. Any reason you decided to go with those instead of the TL3?

What exactly are the differences between the two?

Originally Posted By: Clocked92I see you went with the Bighorn SR3 actions. Any reason you decided to go with those instead of the TL3?

Yes sir, that was my personal choice, the TL-3 was to tactical for us
wink.gif

Just kidding, the TL-3 and SR-3 are identical except for the ejection port, the SR-3 is quite a bit larger allowing top feeding if necessary, personally I like it because you can get into and clean the action, raceway, much easier. These are also a special edition SR-3 with the OPS logo, engraved on the rear of the action.

I will have complete details and specs on the rifle in our HD video review, once we get our glass equipped!

Originally Posted By: B23I think the biggest benefit they provide, is aesthetics.

To say a wrapped barrel isn't more rigid than a similarly contoured barrel (as in the steel beneath) is silly. I don't think it may fully be as rigged as a full diameter steel tube, but it is definitely more rigged than a sporter tube without the wrap. The way I see it is this...totally speculation on my part with a limited knowledge of carbon fiber:

An MTU contoured wrapped barrel has roughly a sporter barrel inside and has the same rigidity and reduced heating factor of a Varmint contour, saving a great deal of weight. It is most assuredly there for more than just aesthetics.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Clocked92I see you went with the Bighorn SR3 actions. Any reason you decided to go with those instead of the TL3?

Yes sir, that was my personal choice, the TL-3 was to tactical for us
wink.gif

Just kidding, the TL-3 and SR-3 are identical except for the ejection port, the SR-3 is quite a bit larger allowing top feeding if necessary, personally I like it because you can get into and clean the action, raceway, much easier. These are also a special edition SR-3 with the OPS logo, engraved on the rear of the action.

I will have complete details and specs on the rifle in our HD video review, once we get our glass equipped!

Thanks. I do like that the ejection port is opened up a little more but it also looks like they opened up the TL3 this year compared to the TL2 from years past. I'm assuming there's a slight weight savings between the two as well.

Decisions, decisions on picking an action for my build haha.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17What kind of stock are those?

These are the Manners T5A with the carbon shell, about a lb lighter than normal T5A's. They also flaunt the newer Gen 2 MCS-DBM mini chassis.

Back