22 hornet and speer 33 gr. tnt

I tried Lil'gun and w297 with the 33 gr speer. I gave up shooting them out of my Browning. 3" groups were the best I could get. Hope someone can point you in the right direction.

I shoot 12.5 grains of Lil Gun, 40gr Hornady V-Max's, Remington cases, and Federal match small pistol primers, in my Savage M-40. On average that load is good for 3/4 MOA any day all day, out of that rifle. My buddy (we bought our M-40's at the same time) shoots the same load and his shoots just a little better than mine.

I'm shooting 33gr. TNT's over 12.5gr. of Lil Gun. One of my Hornets is OK with the load the other won't stay on the paper. A freind of mine is shooting some of my loads and the results are hoo-hum at best. I won't be buying anymore of them.

With 13.5 grns. AA1680 I'm getting 1" groups at 100 yds. Which is about as good as the gun does with any bullet. It's a Ruger 77/22 hornet. But only getting 2800 fps. With the #9 getting over 3000, but getting 3" groups. I want to use these bullets on Coons, and Foxes.

ghjacobs,
I've been using the 35grn Vmaxs with .750moa or less in a CZ with 11.5 grns of h110 and just at 3000 fps. Been there done that with the same ruger. Got some nice groups...but they would never repeat! If you're getting 1" moa with her "repeatably" you're doing about as good as you're gonna get IMOA. Some claim to get better than .5" moa with the little ruger all day but every rifle is different. On mine I lightened the trigger (lapped and lighter springs),floated barrel,shimmed bolt,made/fitted a larger bolt retaining pin,lapped bolt lugs, and bedded the action (that was interesting)etc. I even went as far as neck turn the fire formed Win. brass! IMO the two peice bolt is the biggest problem? Traded her in on a CZ one week before a PD hunt in SD. Tryed the Lilgun did'nt like it for some reason...have to check my notes. Do remember it being awful dirty. I have pushed the fps max...at around 3200 maybe 3300 don't know exactly without my notes at hand. And yes you can push a load to the point that the velosity will acually DROP OFF! Couldn't beleive it! Glad I've got a crono. And this was with a published load! no cracked cases,blown primers or stuck bolt either. Never did make it to the published max before I stopped! Though the primers did show signs of some flattening. Called Sierra and talked Dave(?) about what I was seeing and he enlightened me on this phenominum. He also was resonsable for the reloading data of the hornet for Sierra. BTW it wasn't Sierras data I was following either. So be careful with ALL PUBLISHED DATA and start lower than max. Small changes, small cases can make for big results. I'm not familure with the AA1680 but I would think 13.5 grains of anything in the little hornet case would be at least compressed?
Love the hornet...the PDs loved it, and had some nice kills out to 200 yrds with it. Just remember it's not a 22-250 but a hornet. Hope that helps, be careful and just have fun with it!

ghjacobs,
BTW welcome to the forum! Great people...great info. Sorry about the windy reply. I like the 70grn TNT bullets in my 243 (the PDs loved it as well!). I popped more than a few porcupines with them (some twice). They puff up for just a mila second, shed a few quills and then cash it in. (Tough little critters though) No exit hole...they absorb it all. Coons can get pretty big around here...don't know if I'd use the 33grn TNT on em? Maybe a sp. Fox is like shootin cats, thin skin small bones. Just pick the right bullet for the task at hand is all I'm saying.
Welcome!

I have evrry thing from a 17hmr, to a 243 ackly. With a couple of 17 center fires thrown in. So the Hornet is just some thing to play around with. I shot a fox with my 204 last night was not pretty. 13.5 grains is a compressed load. It is the max in the Accurte Arms book, not because of pressures. But it is all that will fit.

Hey guys ,I have used 13.3 grs. of AA1680 for the last few years with a Nosler 40gr BT and Rem 5.5 Small pistol primer (fired from a Contender Carbine with 21" barrel).
This load was very accurate but not that fast. Cronoed at 2600 but once you buy a can you got to shoot a lot of shells to use it.I still have some but I have gone to 12.6 grs of lil-gun . I haven't cronoed it but it prints higher than the AA1680 so I think it's a little hotter .

I think that Lil-Gun works best with the heavier bullets in a 22 Hornet. I have two 22 Hornets, and have shot hundreds of different bullets experimenting, trying to find an accurate load. Unfortunately, the 22 Hornet is NOT an easy cartridge to load for, to find excellent accuracy. My Step Dad had a Winchester Model 54 in 22 Hornet and the best group I ever saw him shoot was 3/4" at 100 yards for 5 shots, using IMR 4227 powder.
Both of my Hornets, a Ruger Number 1, and a Ruger model 77, shoot best with H-110, with Lil-Gun second, as far as accuracy goes. I use small pistol primers and crimp bullets after seating. Somewhere around 10.0 grains of H-110 seems to be best for my two rifles. But, I have read posts by guys who get good accuracy with heavier charges of H-110. Your rifle will dictate what charge is best.

Martyn

I had better luck with the Berger 30 grain hp and Little Gun in more than one hornet, and a couple fireballs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Back