.22 Long Rifle for close work

Originally Posted By: case-nhGuess I'll pass at eating at the table of the guy who can separate the fly poop from the pepper. Always intelligent to deny the facts when presented with them and be told your full of crap.

Might just be that particular guy has a whole bunch of coyote experience under his belt also?

I've shot, killed, and recovered a few 3-4 coyotes, with a 22lr. All ear shots and with-in 20-30yds. Thinking any farther, their gone!.....Regards, Drop

I've killed about twenty coyotes with a .22 Long Rifle. All shot with high quality high speed hollow points. I've experienced mixed results. No way I'd consider it a primary calling rifle.

One of a pair. Both shot, both killed, this one recovered and the other crawled into a clear cut log jam and I couldn't reach it.

Back before high school a well known regional trapper took me under his wing to get started.
He asked if I had a firearm or a club. I showed him my .22 marlin rifle and he replied "oh a nice club, let me help you get a used .22 magnum rifle so you can shoot them."
Well I kind of thought he was joking but no he was actually as wise as his rep.
That was decades ago and not much has changed.
I am glad it's not our annual HMR thread

The good thing about a 22LR is they are very fur friendly... a lot of 22 holes just heal up within a short time..
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice looking rifle GC.

Thank you. I have others, semi-autos and bolt guns but that little Marlin is my favorite. Slipping through the timber looking for a few bushytails the little lever with aperture sight is just plain old fun.

Originally Posted By: case-nhGuess I'll pass at eating at the table of the guy who can separate the fly poop from the pepper. Always intelligent to deny the facts when presented with them and be told your full of crap.

I am sorry you took it that way, because that was not the way I meant it. I was just relating my experiences and there are lots of variables that would have an impact.

I have had them run off when shot with a 22 magnum, 40g Win HP when shot at distances of 65-85 yards when they were hit in the back of the lungs, they died shortly there after. Animals can vary in their stamina especially with size and how pumped up they are. I killed a lot of coyotes with a Ruger 22 mag all weather skeleton stock rifle in AZ while hunting off of gaited horses. Usually, a hit right on the back edge of the shoulder will put them down hard, but you rarely ever get perfect shots when they are coming in to a call. I had to shoot quite a few more than once, especially between 100-125 yards which would indicate a hit behind the diaphragm and they were moving(running away, circling fast indicating that they were just checking things out).

When I moved to Az, I started off hunting around those new subdivisions off horse back, and used a custom Ruger 10/22 loaded with cci mini mag HP, and distances were close as this was thicker dessert terrain with shots usually 30 yards or closer. There was a NOTICABLE difference in killing ability of the cci mini mag with a MV of 1270 fps and the sub sonic stuff at 1030 fps. I started having longer shots, thus went to the 22 Magnum which I dearly love. That Ruger is so accurate, that I could connect very reliably out to 150 but they would run off all most all of the time at that distance. I was trying to use a rifle with less report within closer proximity of the housing so as not to upset the residents, and I hated to waste a Deputy's time when they got a call to come and check on "shots fired".

I think to get an accurate picture, you have to kill 50 coyotes or so to gauge the reactions over a larger sample as perhaps 10% will have very strange reactions to very good hits. IN any case, if you hit one in the lungs, he will usually die within 150 yards.

Later on, I went to a 17 Ackley hornet(20g Berger MEF at 3550), shot 4 coyotes in one morning, only found one of them and he ran about 110 yards. All of the shots were close in and they never acted like they had ever been hit. I went to a 22 K Hornet on that same Ruger action, that was THE END to the running coyotes shot in front of the diaphram, 40g Speer spire point(~3000fps) will shoot through shoulders, max load of H110. A best friend just had to buy that Ruger with both barrels. I replaced it with a Remington package rifle 223 from wal mart and duplicated that K hornet load with 12g of Blue dot and the 40g Speer spire point.

The sub sonic stuff I was shooting in the 22RF was 1030 fps out of my 20" bbl, and shots were 35-40 yards on an average, not all ran off, but(70%) the vast majority did, how far varied from 10 yards to 40 yards and some just were never found till the buzzards started circling. Ammo, individual barrels, distances, age and size of coyotes vary a lot.

One major issue with sub sonic ammo is the amount of antimony or Tin that is in the mix of the bullet, if any. A soft bullet that is pure lead will expand and the harder alloy bullets will not. This one thing may explain why the Aguila sub sonic ammo kills much better than the cci sub sonic, and this would be a huge factor.

After I sold the 17 Ackley hornet/22 K Hornet to my friend, he started using 25g Hornady HP in the 17 Ackley hornet, and he started killing coyotes with the rifle with out run offs, hot load of N120. Some little minor details can sure change the results.

Last edited:

Great info Ackleyman. Always good to hear experience talk.

I have always liked the looks of the older model Marlin lever action rimfire with the 3/4 magazine tube. If I recall correctly it may be the Mountie model, but it's been a while and I have forgot. I think those are not so common but I remember seeing them when I was a boy. Just something about the look that is pleasing to me, but all those Marlin lever rimfires are great rifles.

The wife told me that I need a nice 22. Does the 39 or 39A have the squirrel on the stock? I have been looking at the cz and browning t bolt and blr22. These old marlins look nice too.

Back