22 Nosler? Have the Brass issue(s) been resolved?

Been thinking of another AR upper in 22cal variant and was wondering if the 22 Nosler cartridge issues with tearing up brass have been resolved or have most people just given up on it?
It would be nice to still be able to run the 223 bolt vs. having to go to the bigger bolt for the likes of the 22DTI, 224 Valk and the other various 22's.
My intent would be to run the lighter 22 bullets...50-60gr and get an honest 3500-3600fps with a 20"bbl. It appears that the 22 Nosler would do this with the least amount of "trouble"...cheaper dies, available brass and factory ammo, standard 223AR magazines...but if the brass issues are still a problem and then maybe ending up having to go to an adjustable gas block and possibly having to change out buffers and springs...is it really worth the trouble?
So, has the 22 Nosler come and gone or is it now gotten straightened out? Thanks

The second run brass I am shooting is doing very well. I am not concerned with it now like the first run of garbage. I've been shooting quite a bit of it and am happy.

I would run an adjustable block simply because so many barrels are severely over-gassed from the maker. I've had some that were so over-gassed it was like an gas well blow out in South Texas.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe second run brass I am shooting is doing very well. I am not concerned with it now like the first run of garbage. I've been shooting quite a bit of it and am happy.

I would run an adjustable block simply because so many barrels are severely over-gassed from the maker. I've had some that were so over-gassed it was like an gas well blow out in South Texas.

Greg
Thanks GL.
Ya, the adjustable gas block is probably something that should be done on most AR's anyway. I read a lot of information on the 22 Nosler from past posts on various forums and people still ended up going to a heavier buffer and spring. Was hoping that with maybe just an adjustable block, being able to just jump in and start shooting without any other issues...nothing worse than having a finicky AR and trying to get it to run reliably. Thought about the 22x6.8 and changing out the bolt, but just cannot make up my mind. Want to keep it as simple as possible, run lighter bullets(55gr Sierra #1390) and have some good speed. Would like a 10 or 12 twist, 20" barrel. I'll just have to keep chewing on it awhile.

FYI it does need 6.8 mags, not 223. Just to clear that part up. There's lots of good options these days, the factory rounds are the easiest and cheapest I suppose. 22n would be a no brainer imo if they would have left the rim full size. Getting a 6.8 bolt isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and should result in more case capacity. Of course you can use hagar brass, but then just as well go with rpg's new 22 nxs. That might be the best one for light bullets.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: GLShooterThe second run brass I am shooting is doing very well. I am not concerned with it now like the first run of garbage. I've been shooting quite a bit of it and am happy.

Greg
Thanks GL.
Ya, the adjustable gas block is probably something that should be done on most AR's anyway. I read a lot of information on the 22 Nosler from past posts on various forums and people still ended up going to a heavier buffer and spring. Was hoping that with maybe just an adjustable block, being able to just jump in and start shooting without any other issues...nothing worse than having a finicky AR and trying to get it to run reliably. Thought about the 22x6.8 and changing out the bolt, but just cannot make up my mind. Want to keep it as simple as possible, run lighter bullets(55gr Sierra #1390) and have some good speed. Would like a 10 or 12 twist, 20" barrel. I'll just have to keep chewing on it awhile.

A ten would be fine if you stick to 69 or less. There's enough extra horse power to not require a nine. I'm shooting an eight twist and it handles the 55's very well but I wanted something to do 77's with.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 204 ARFYI it does need 6.8 mags, not 223. Just to clear that part up. There's lots of good options these days, the factory rounds are the easiest and cheapest I suppose. 22n would be a no brainer imo if they would have left the rim full size. Getting a 6.8 bolt isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and should result in more case capacity. Of course you can use hagar brass, but then just as well go with rpg's new 22 nxs. That might be the best one for light bullets.
Thanks 204, I forgot the 22 Nosler does take the 6.8 mags.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: GLShooterThe second run brass I am shooting is doing very well. I am not concerned with it now like the first run of garbage. I've been shooting quite a bit of it and am happy.

Greg
Thanks GL.

A ten would be fine if you stick to 69 or less. There's enough extra horse power to not require a nine. I'm shooting an eight twist and it handles the 55's very well but I wanted something to do 77's with.

Greg
Yes, I plan to just keep this in the 50-60gr bullets...may try some 70's just to see if they would stabilize. I know you and Rich have worked on the 22NXS but not sure I want to go there just yet...where does the 22x6.8 come into play say between the 22 Nosler and 22x6.8?

The 22X6.8 is,a tad faster than the Nosler thanks to the higher pressure. It also benefits from being shorter do bullets can be seated longer. You are not tied into single source brass and if you like variety the same dies will load from 20 cal on up to the parent case.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 22X6.8 is,a tad faster than the Nosler thanks to the higher pressure. It also benefits from being shorter do bullets can be seated longer. You are not tied into single source brass and if you like variety the same dies will load from 20 cal on up to the parent case.

Greg
Given that I am wanting to run the lighter bullets...50-60gr and primarily looking at the 53vmax and 55gr Sierra...longer seating depth shouldn't be an issue unless the reamer is throated for the long heavy bullets would it? What weight/type of bullet was the reamer ground for?
If PM'ing is better than taking up thread space, please feel free to PM me. Thanks

Gene

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe reamer is cut for light bullets and has a short free bore. The main ones we've been shooting are in the 50-55 range.

Greg

Sent you a PM

I have read a lot about and some have told me that it would help to run the rifle length gas system +2" for the 22 Nosler to help with some of the swiping on the brass. My dilemma is that I can get a new barrel right now that is just the standard rifle length gas system...if I went with an adjustable gas block could I essentially get it adjusted to perform like the +2" system and still operate reliably? Or is the +2" system the right way to go? Hate to pass up this opportunity to get this barrel now as opposed to having to order one and wait, but don't want to jump into something I would regret. Thanks

Gene

I visualize it as the +2 gas system delays the action timing rather than reducing pressure. Distance between the gas port and crown of the barrel is relative to gas port pressure.

If the barrel is any longer than 18" then it would be beneficial to have a +2" gas system .

In theory a faster burning powder would result in peak pressure happening before the bullet reaches the gas port resulting in reduced port pressure and allowing the brass to shrink back before the action takes event. Which is counter productive when trying to achieve maximum velocity. So an extended gas system is the only way to optimize speed with a slower powder and reduce brass fatigue at the same time.

BB,

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueIf the barrel is any longer than 18" then it would be beneficial to have a +2" gas system .

So are you saying that a 20 inch barrel would be better with a rifle length gas system +2 inches?

I have a JP adjustable gas block on my Colt 6721 ("16" Carbine gas length)

I have it set up to "just barely" cycle/lock bolt back reliably suppressed. I can shoot it without blinking it is so smooth.

I got lost in the fast powder, short gas tube problem myself. Ironically through a little testing i found H4895 to be the softest shooting powder ever. Who would have thought huh??

Have had no issues with the brass my cousin is shooting. He is pushing 60gr noslers, at 3325FPS out of an 18" barrel. Half a grain more primers start blowing out. He is pushing them hard and believe he is using nosler brass.

Back