22 Nosler

Jerdogger

I'm thinking about a new Ar-15 upper build. Looking at the
22 Nosler.
My concern is I don't reload. With a quick internet search there doesn't seem to be alot of manufacturer currently loading this caliber. Should I stay away if I'm not a guy that reloads.
I like the AR platform fast follow up shots and I usually hunt surppresed. 224 Valkyrie also crossed my mind.

if you buy a quality barrel with the the extended gas system (if barrel is longer than 20") and appropriate twist rate the factory ammo choices at hand will work great.

the Valkyrie will not gain much over a hot 223/5.56 round

For hunting I believe the Nosler would be the way to go. After getting my hands on some Valkyrie brass I found the capacity is barely more than much of my 556. I'd rather shoot a 223 in that scenario as you wouldn't be throwing 90 grain pills at them. At least with the Nosler the extra capacity is there with the same overall length as the 556.

Greg

I save fur also. My worry is availability I think and no extra
Gitty up. I chronographed my stag arms with 16" barrel and sig 7.62QD suppressor. Used Hornady superformace 53gr. Average was 3150.
What would I gain from factory 22 Nosler.

I like my 22 Nosler. It has a 22”’ WOA barrel w/ the +2 gas and I run factory 55 grain ballistic tips. It’s got a little more speed than a regular 223. For me, I wouldn’t consider the 224V for a hunting cartridge. We can’t shoot deer with it in Virginia, and for varmints and predators, I think lighter/faster bullets are where it’s at. I’ve shot the Nosler trophy grade 55 BTs and the Varmageddon 62 gr FBHP both with good accuracy. I did pick up dies and brass, but haven’t felt the need to load any of my own yet.

I would go with the 22N, or another 223, over the 224V for a predator/varmint rifle.

I could be wrong but I don't think Nosler will abandon it's child. I think the guys are right on this one, I would pick the 22N also. Then watch Midway for when the ammo goes on clearance sales and stock up.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR Then watch Midway for when the ammo goes on clearance sales and stock up.

It’s on sale now, or was yesterday, for like $16 and change a box for the 55 gr BT trophy grade stuff. Think the 77gr match grade stuff was less, 13 or 14 a box I think.

Nosler has their trophy grade 55 grain listed at 3300fps is that a 24" barrel. If so if I drop to 18 barrel would decrease about 150-200fps

a general rule of thumb is 25fps per inch. so yes, trophy grade should do about 3200fps its not hard to achieve 3400fps out of a 18" barrel though

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerMy rig now is 3150 fps 16" barrel. Probably no real advantage with the 22 Nosler then. Maybe I'll go 223 Wylde 18"

That is amazing velocity. Most my 55 grain reloads go out in the high 2800's - low to mid 2900's.

I am not sure how they are doing it.

I have noticed almost like clockwork, a loss of about 32-38fps per inch. Those numbers are from my rifles. (small sample)

I thought it was 3500 out of a 24". You should see 3300 out of an 18 with the N. My 18 would push 50s at 3430 iirc.

the 22nosler should be at least a 300fps gain across the board when using the same bullet and same length barrel. the increased speed is most beneficial after 150 yards. if taking shots that far then it could be beneficial.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchOriginally Posted By: JerdoggerMy rig now is 3150 fps 16" barrel. Probably no real advantage with the 22 Nosler then. Maybe I'll go 223 Wylde 18"

That is amazing velocity. Most my 55 grain reloads go out in the high 2800's - low to mid 2900's.

I have noticed almost like clockwork, a loss of about 32-38fps per inch. Those numbers are from my rifles. (small sample)

Hornady superformace has there 223 superformace 53gr listed at 3465 24" barrel. It recommends 20" barrel. I put an adjustable gas block as they recommend

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerOriginally Posted By: arlaunchOriginally Posted By: JerdoggerMy rig now is 3150 fps 16" barrel. Probably no real advantage with the 22 Nosler then. Maybe I'll go 223 Wylde 18"

Hornady superformace has there 223 superformace 53gr listed at 3465 24" barrel. It recommends 20" barrel. I put an adjustable gas block as they recommend

are you sure that you ran this thru a chrono?

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueOriginally Posted By: JerdoggerOriginally Posted By: arlaunchOriginally Posted By: JerdoggerMy rig now is 3150 fps 16" barrel. Probably no real advantage with the 22 Nosler then. Maybe I'll go 223 Wylde 18"

are you sure that you ran this thru a chrono?

Yes sir!! Approximately 10' in front of the muzzle.
Someone else surely must have tried this ammo before.

yes, I have tried it out of a longer barrel. the speed was good but got tired of having to shoot the animal several times if they hadn't ran off by that point. the accuracy was mediocre at best.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueyes, I have tried it out of a longer barrel. the speed was good but got tired of having to shoot the animal several times if they hadn't ran off by that point. the accuracy was mediocre at best.
I agree I like Nosler bullets better. That's kinda why I was leaning towards the 22 Nosler

Back