.22 WMR - Adequate for coyotes?

I’d imagine a pellet gun would kill a coyote and deer, wouldn’t exactly be my first choice if I had an option.
I’ve killed hogs and deer with a .22LR, just didn’t have anything else in the truck at the time.

It isn't the guy that needs to feed his family that is the problem, it's the guy with 20 deer hanging in the shed waiting for the semi to come round. Or collecting trophy antlers to sell.
Quite true, though the problem with him is that he’s got a commercial poaching operation, not the firearm he uses.

While the 22 Mag can kill a coyote with correct shot placement, it is not an ethical caliber to use. If you can make a good head shot, that is best. But hit him through the snout and he dies an agonizing death.

For you others that prefer to run the Winchester 40 gr JHP rounds…

I have for years used Winchester 40 grain JHP in the silver box. Always shot best and performed great. I had a decent supply of them but ran into a batch that would split cases and not extract from my Marlin 882. Switched boxes and things were normal again.

I bought a Bulk Pack of the Win 40’s because well, why not? Lol. Terrible accuracy! You could line up several unfired rounds and visibly see that bullets were seated at all different depths. I figured it was due to 150 bullets in a box just bouncing and jostling around together during transport or something. Plinkers at best.

I have found that the Armscor 40 gr jhp appears to be a Win 40 jhp clone and shoots just as well and even a touch better at times. There are 2 versions out there… Brass case and Nickel plated. I have only shot the plated cases. Bullet appears identical. Never had a misfire or split case with the Armscor either. Pretty good ammo and they have dispatched 2 coyotes of opportunity.

To re-emphasize… 22WMR is not what I consider a coyote cartridge. It works, but with limitations. Shooter ability and self control being the 2 biggest limiting factors.

Last edited:
22 mag wouldn't be rifle of choice for coyote but if that's what I was carrying and opportunity was there, that's what I would use. The 50 grain I just bought are Federal's and rated at 1530FPS. They should pack a pretty good punch but still haven't shot them yet for accuracy. And....it was the only box on the shelf. I don't know if they are readily available.

A farmer I hunt on keeps a 22 wmr in his truck. In the last 2 years he has chest hit (he thinks) 3 coyotes at less than 75yds (his estimate) and watched them spin and run away out of his pastures never to be found.

A farmer I hunt on keeps a 22 wmr in his truck. In the last 2 years he has chest hit (he thinks) 3 coyotes at less than 75yds (his estimate) and watched them spin and run away out of his pastures never to be found.
This doesn’t surprise me. Assuming he did hit them in the chest with something like a 40-50 grain projectile I’m pretty sure they are dead coyotes. To most farmers that is all that matters. At least in my experience.

I hunt a bunch of farms. Dairy, Sheep, Horse and Agricultural only farms. Farmers with livestock seem to be less concerned with recovery and more concerned that you at least hit them. Ag farmers aren’t quite as harsh in my opinion. I have been rejected from hunting a few Ag farms for coyotes. One farmer said the coyotes are the only animal out there working for him! He would rather the deer, and turkeys all get eaten by coyotes! Another said since coyotes moved in he no longer has a woodchuck problem. Woodchucks caused him far more problems than coyotes. I see both of their points as valid.

A farmer I hunt on keeps a 22 wmr in his truck. In the last 2 years he has chest hit (he thinks) 3 coyotes at less than 75yds (his estimate) and watched them spin and run away out of his pastures never to be f
I agree with hunt0168, if he actually for sure hit them in the chest, they probably died. Just not DRT. I can also see why an ag farmer probably doesn't mind the coyotes.

I've been around firearms for a lot of years but must say I'm new to the 22 mag. Up until a year ago, I never owned one. I now have a Savage Anschutz and love that little rifle. I found the Federal 50 grain HP and though it was something new. LOL seems they been around a long time. (I need to get out more.) From the little research I did on them, if they are accurate in your rifle, they kill coyotes pretty good. I just need to see how well they do in my rifle.

I agree with hunt0168, if he actually for sure hit them in the chest, they probably died. Just not DRT. I can also see why an ag farmer probably doesn't mind the coyotes.

I've been around firearms for a lot of years but must say I'm new to the 22 mag. Up until a year ago, I never owned one. I now have a Savage Anschutz and love that little rifle. I found the Federal 50 grain HP and though it was something new. LOL seems they been around a long time. (I need to get out more.) From the little research I did on them, if they are accurate in your rifle, they kill coyotes pretty good. I just need to see how well they do in my rifle.
Yeah, to my knowledge the Federal 50s have been the heaviest commercial 22wmr load for years. I have never tried them personally. A little extra kinetic energy can’t hurt.

Now going the opposite direction, while out for a walk with a farmer checking fences I carried ole maggy in case a woodchuck presented itself. I think a squeak from wire pulling through a fence staple sounded like lunch to a nearby coyote or something? I took an opportunistic crack at it with a 30gr V-max loaded 22wmr round at about 20 yards and it just splashed on a rib! Saw a baseball size hunk of flesh explode but I don’t think anything ever made it through to the chest cavity. Watched that coyote run across 350 yards of field without a bobble!

Just my experience with a sample size of one. Only mention it because a lot of folks find those 30 gr ballistic tips to be the most accurate. Probably sufficient for a fox round but I wouldn’t ever try another on a coyote after that experience.

I know the 22LR and 22Mag will kill a lot of stuff they aren't intended for and people swear they will get the job done, but I have two many rifles that remove all doubt to use something on a maybe. A few months ago there were two guys shooting 17HMR's. Said they were planning on going coyote hunting with them. I just said "OK". Haven't seen them since so I don't know how it worked out.

I'd have a hard time swallowing that!

Yeah, to my knowledge the Federal 50s have been the heaviest commercial 22wmr load for years. I have never tried them personally. A little extra kinetic energy can’t hurt.

Now going the opposite direction, while out for a walk with a farmer checking fences I carried ole maggy in case a woodchuck presented itself. I think a squeak from wire pulling through a fence staple sounded like lunch to a nearby coyote or something? I took an opportunistic crack at it with a 30gr V-max loaded 22wmr round at about 20 yards and it just splashed on a rib! Saw a baseball size hunk of flesh explode but I don’t think anything ever made it through to the chest cavity. Watched that coyote run across 350 yards of field without a bobble!

Just my experience with a sample size of one. Only mention it because a lot of folks find those 30 gr ballistic tips to be the most accurate. Probably sufficient for a fox round but I wouldn’t ever try another on a coyote after that experience.
I have some of those 30gr stuff and don't recall where I got them. I check a lot closer anymore, dn't really care fot the light bullets. Most my stuff is 40 gr and I'd try some 50 gr if I found them.

He doesn't really care-just wanting to keep them off his calves. And called me yesterday, now he has them coming into the yard (3 times in the last 4 days) in the daylight grabbing chickens. One was close enough to the kitchen window that he could see her teats, so I am guessing there is a den not to far away. Run and grab so no time for him to shoot.

He doesn't really care-just wanting to keep them off his calves.
We’re kind of getting off track from the original poster’s question here but this is the general consensus among farmers and you certainly can’t blame them. I’ve seen calves and lambs that were torn up by coyotes. These folks don’t want to hear about it being immoral to shoot a coyote with pups in the ground, or if a 22 mag is enough gun. I understand their position completely.

I don't know if there is a YES or NO answer. I figure for every 10 people that say it isn't "adequate" enough, there will be 10 more telling you how many they have killed with a 22 Magnum. I remember years ago there was a post asking if the 223 was enough gun. Doubt that one ever got settled. I say, use it and come back and let us know how it worked out.

I don't know if there is a YES or NO answer. I figure for every 10 people that say it isn't "adequate" enough, there will be 10 more telling you how many they have killed with a 22 Magnum. I remember years ago there was a post asking if the 223 was enough gun. Doubt that one ever got settled. I say, use it and come back and let us know how it worked out.
Yes sir… When these questions pop up, any answers given are just opinions of the experiences those people had. Everyone is different… Different abilities, equipment, environments, game laws and on and on. In the end it is up to the individual asking to decide.

As it pertains to hunting… Unless it is an outright yes/no, right/wrong, legal/illegal situation, I’m not about to tell anyone what or how to do something. If it works for you, roll with it. If it’s all you have and game laws allow it, use it. It’s helpful to know the limitations. Both equipment and personal.

You have to ask what ammo that farmer was using, you can get fmj, clad lead, HP lead, plastic tipped and jacketed HP. Unless he is serious about killing drt he is probably using the cheapest he can get or only what he can get at Big O.

I use my 22mag on coyotes.and.it works I will say that they are called and rarely much beyond shotgun range. It is. Lot quieter than a rifle or shotgun.

You have to ask what ammo that farmer was using, you can get fmj, clad lead, HP lead, plastic tipped and jacketed HP. Unless he is serious about killing drt he is probably using the cheapest he can get or only what he can get at Big O.

I use my 22mag on coyotes.and.it works I will say that they are called and rarely much beyond shotgun range. It is. Lot quieter than a rifle or shotgun.

If that farmer will buy some Winchester 40 gr. hollowpoints, and if he takes the time to carefully place his shots in the front end of the coyote, from 75 yards he will have dead coyotes. If he shoots FMJ solids and hastily shoots for "center mass" they will run off.

Back