223 Varmint Guns

You might also look at the Howa 1500 which are good guns that you wont have to spent alot of money on.I was going to buy one in .223 until I found my Ruger and decided to get it instead.I did shoot a Howa 1500 .204 for a while but decided I wanted a .223 for shootin yotes.

Not light weight, but I have a Savage model 12 .223 and it is as good of a production gun as i have ever seen. It's a real tack driver right out of the box.

+2 on the CZ 527

Very accurate, light, and good looking. They have a single set trigger that is awesome.

Lots can be said about an AR though.

I'd pick that one that trips your trigger.

Adam

+1 on the Howa. Picked up mine earlier this year for less than a hundred dollar bill used when all said and done. Shoots lights out!!! Just loves those 55 grainers. Wasn,t very pretty but a little camo job did the trick.

+3 on the CZ527 .223. I have one that is a tack driver, feels good, and has a great looking stock.

I had the good fortune to have a Hawkeye borescope on loan for a week. My two CZ's have the best looking barrels in my gunsafe. The quality and workmanship on the CZ's is a step above other rifles in their price range. The non-target accutrigger on my Savage .243 is very good but the single set trigger on my CZ's is as good or better than the target accutrigger on my LRPV.

Fitch

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While out shopping for a new Stevens 200 I happened to meet with a guy that informed me that he had a Savage 223 rifle for sale if I was interested. I told him to bring it to work and I would look at it. Imagine my surprize when I opened the hard case it was in and there laid a pristine Savage Model 11 complete with Simmons 3x9x40 Prosport scope. I asked what he had to have for the rifle and almost fell over when he priced it at 400 bucks including the Gun Guard lockable hard case and two boxes of rem 55 grn corelock JSP shells. Man this thing was pristine and looked new. I told him I had to try it out and would let him know today one way or the other. I took it down to my range and fired three shots of Fed 55 grn FMG at a target 50 yds away and was not too surprized to find all three shots into one ragged hole that could be covered with a dime. Needless to say I paid his price and am now the proud new owner of this great shooting rifle. The coyotes better watch out now as I think my quest for the perfect Yote gun is over. Thanks for all of your recommendations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
CZ 527, i have teh kevlar varmint. Best gun i have. Remington 700 sps varmint close behind and cheaper. If money is no object lookinto a good AR.

Well after a long wait and lots of good suggestions from everyone I finally decided on my perfect match. I took her to my private range today and she easily puts 5 rounds of Fed 55 grn into a group that can be covered with a dime at 50 yds. I have her set to shoot 1" high at that range which should put me just about right out to 250 yds or so.
sagagemodel11.jpg

Originally Posted By: OkieOutlaw-- as I think my quest for the perfect Yote gun is over.

Outlaw,
It's never over.
shocked.gif

Back