224 Valkyrie for coyotes???

In my opinion 2.8 in on a coyote dropwise is huge. And as you said beyond 500 isnt coyote hunting. Getting the bullet to expand is the other obstacle. Which takes me back to my previous post of looking at what bullet will shoot in your gun and at what speed they will shoot and how they will expand to deliver the energy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223In my opinion 2.8 in on a coyote dropwise is huge. And as you said beyond 500 isnt coyote hunting. Getting the bullet to expand is the other obstacle. Which takes me back to my previous post of looking at bullet that was shooting your gun and what speed they will shoot and how they will expand.

2.8" at 400 yards isn't going to mean a miss though, but that extra 8" of wind drift for a 10mph wind might.

Neither of them are flat enough beyond 300 yards (where the Nosler is only 2" flatter) to zero at a distance and hold dead on and get a hit, so you need to know your dope for either one. Holding or dialing an extra .2mil is nothing and as a long range shooter I'm very familiar with the fact that reading the wind and making an accurate call is the hardest part of putting rounds on target and that's true at any distance. Cutting down your wind drift (especially cutting it in half) is huge.

As to impact velocity, like I said, starting at 275 yards this example of a Valkyrie load pulls ahead of the Nosler in impact speed too.

This is just comparing two bullets, one that you couldn't even run in the Nosler if you wanted to because of OAL.

Want to run 55's from the Valyrie? No problem. Like I said in a previous reply, the factory 60gr ammo was just short of 3400fps from my 22" Craddock barrel. Load your own 55gr and I bet you can go 3500fps with it too.

So I reiterate, what does the 22 Nosler do that the Valkyrie doesn't while also doing a lot more? That answer is nothing.

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Originally Posted By: varminter .223In my opinion 2.8 in on a coyote dropwise is huge. And as you said beyond 500 isnt coyote hunting. Getting the bullet to expand is the other obstacle. Which takes me back to my previous post of looking at bullet that was shooting your gun and what speed they will shoot and how they will expand.

2.8" at 400 yards isn't going to mean a miss though, but that extra 8" of wind drift for a 10mph wind might.

Neither of them are flat enough beyond 300 yards (where the Nosler is only 2" flatter) to zero at a distance and hold dead on and get a hit, so you need to know your dope for either one. Holding or dialing an extra .2mil is nothing and as a long range shooter I'm very familiar with the fact that reading the wind and making an accurate call is the hardest part of putting rounds on target and that's true at any distance. Cutting down your wind drift (especially cutting it in half) is huge.

As to impact velocity, like I said, starting at 275 yards this example of a Valkyrie load pulls ahead of the Nosler in impact speed too.

This is just comparing two bullets, one that you couldn't even run in the Nosler if you wanted to because of OAL.

Want to run 55's from the Valyrie? No problem. Like I said in a previous reply, the factory 60gr ammo was just short of 3400fps from my 22" Craddock barrel. Load your own 55gr and I bet you can go 3500fps with it too.

So I reiterate, what does the 22 Nosler do that the Valkyrie doesn't while also doing a lot more? That answer is nothing.
Honestly you lost me when you said 2.8" more drop isnt a miss on a coyote. Just a rough estimation that's probably like 25 to 30% of a coyotes kill zone...... 2.8" is the very stuff coyote misses are made of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223 We dumped nearly 60 rounds at 1 coyote two weeks ago ended up getting him at 500-plus yards.

scared.gif

gotta sound like a war zone out there. was this at night?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: varminter .223 We dumped nearly 60 rounds at 1 coyote two weeks ago ended up getting him at 500-plus yards.

scared.gif

gotta sound like a war zone out there. was this at night?
Well duh everybody knows you can't call in a coyote in Illinois in the daylight
cool.gif

Last edited:
Well I'll keep dealing with facts and you keep rounding your drops down and your velocitys up and feeling good about your 1000 yard 22 cal. sniper rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Whatever you need to tell yourself to be right. 22 Nosler sucks and it is what it is.

He he did kill 50 last year with a junk 22 Nosler. Not like he is making up his passion for the round. It has been proven to work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Whatever you need to tell yourself to be right. 22 Nosler sucks and it is what it is.

He he did kill 50 last year with a junk 22 Nosler. Not like he is making up his passion for the round. It has been proven to work.

And he would have still killed them the same if he used a 223 or 224V to launch freedom seeds at them.

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Whatever you need to tell yourself to be right. 22 Nosler sucks and it is what it is.

And he would have still killed them the same if he used a 223 or 224V to launch freedom seeds at them.
[beeep] we probably would have killed a hundred and fifty with the 224 Valkyrie with your drop numbers and velocities LOL
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Whatever you need to tell yourself to be right. 22 Nosler sucks and it is what it is.

[beeep] we probably would have killed a hundred and fifty with the 224 Valkyrie with your drop numbers and velocities LOL
lol.gif

Well if you missed 100 dogs last year maybe it is time to concede to the 224 Valk...

You guys are ridiculous.

LOL that was a touch of sarcasm however I don't even think the power of the 224 Valkyrie can offset pulsars glorious poi shift. And would you expect anything other than ridiculousness on Al Gore's interweb? Would you prefer no one respond to the op's question?

Last edited:
Of coarse it's worth a discussion but telling the OP the 22 Nosler is better at killing coyotes is just bad advise. From what I've seen both are capable of shooting the lighter bullets at close to the same speed with the advantage going to the Valk. On top of that the Valk can also shoot the heavies if one chooses to.

"But the water capacity difference!"...If you have ever worked with the x47, br, norma mag or similar case designs you'd know that these newer case designs are very efficient. The Valk case design is very similar to those and reaps the benefits.

I'm failing to see a reason not to go Valk. The 22 Nosler did not catch on and is clearly dying while the exact opposite is true for the Valk. Better brass, more efficient case design, ability to run light or heavy, industry support. Seems like a win to me.

Originally Posted By: Captramrod01Of coarse it's worth a discussion but telling the OP the 22 Nosler is better at killing coyotes is just bad advise. From what I've seen both are capable of shooting the lighter bullets at close to the same speed with the advantage going to the Valk. On top of that the Valk can also shoot the heavies if one chooses to.
All you guys keep telling him that it's close to the same speed as a Nosler but you know what it's not the same speed. Oh but you have the option of Heavy's just like let's buy a dually truck to get groceries in just in case we wanted to know a heavy boat.
"But the water capacity difference!"...If you have ever worked with the x47, br, norma mag or similar case designs you'd know that these newer case designs are very efficient. The Valk case design is very similar to those and reaps the benefits.

I'm failing to see a reason not to go Valk. The 22 Nosler did not catch on and is clearly dying while the exact opposite is true for the Valk. Better brass, more efficient case design, ability to run light or heavy, industry support. Seems like a win to me.
You guys keep saying the valkyrie will get close to the 22 Nosler with speed why would you want to get close to the speed when you can just have a 22 nosler. Oh I guess you want the option of shooting heavy slow bullets. How about the option of shooting a lighter bullet even faster.
Telling someone to build a rifle that shoots the bullet they want to shoot slowerer just in case they want to shoot a heavier bullet sounds like bad advice to me

Last edited:
When the valkyrie was rolled out it was designed to shoot the 90 match King I do believe and they made it in the seven twist. It didn't even have enough twist to shoot that well so it was botched from the get-go. They then went to a 6.5 twist to make it handle that bullet. 6.5 is got to be way too much to shoot light bullets so you can't have your heavy bullet cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Captramrod01Of coarse it's worth a discussion but telling the OP the 22 Nosler is better at killing coyotes is just bad advise. From what I've seen both are capable of shooting the lighter bullets at close to the same speed with the advantage going to the Valk. On top of that the Valk can also shoot the heavies if one chooses to.
All you guys keep telling him that it's close to the same speed as a Nosler but you know what it's not the same speed. Oh but you have the option of Heavy's just like let's buy a dually truck to get groceries in just in case we wanted to know a heavy boat.

You guys keep saying the valkyrie will get close to the 22 Nosler with speed why would you want to get close to the speed when you can just have a 22 nosler. Oh I guess you want the option of shooting heavy slow bullets. How about the option of shooting a lighter bullet even faster.
Telling someone to build a rifle that shoots the bullet they want to shoot slowerer just in case they want to shoot a heavier bullet sounds like bad advice to me

Again, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Valkyrie will shoot light bullets just as well and fast as the Nosler but do a whole lot more and with better brass and ammo availability. But can't tell you anything because you've got your mind made up that Nosler is the end all be all, because its what you bought and you're stuck on it.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223When the valkyrie was rolled out it was designed to shoot the 90 match King I do believe and they made it in the seven twist. It didn't even have enough twist to shoot that well so it was botched from the get-go. They then went to a 6.5 twist to make it handle that bullet. 6.5 is got to be way too much to shoot light bullets so you can't have your heavy bullet cake and eat it too.

More misinformation. The Valkyrie was designed TO BE ABLE TO load up to the longest .224" bullets made at mag length. The 7 twist was selected so that anything up to the longest bullets COULD be used if the end user so chooses.

It was never designed to shoot 90gr bullets specifically. If you knew anything about the cartridge you'd know that Federal rolled out 60gr NBT varmint ammo, a 75gr FMJ load, a 90gr match load, and a 90gr hunting load. To say it was just designed to shoot 90's is ridiculous and wrong.

Both my 6.7 and 7 twists shoot the 95gr SMK which is much longer than the 90gr into itty bitty groups. 7 twist was not the flaw, it was all the manufacturers that didn't know that they were doing putting out crap barrels with crap chambers. The biggest being Savage. Those guns were terrible.

You're spewing false information about something that you know nothing about.

Back