.243 58gr & 65gr V-Max

TXCOONDOG

The lightest bullets I've shot out my two AR 10's in 243 are the 75 & 87 gr V-Max' with one being a 10T and the other is an 8T.

I haven't had any issues with splash, etc., but it does leave a large exit hole (not a concern) from both mainly at 200 yds and in.

Looking for a little more velocity and flatter trajectories to 300 with an occasional 400-yard shot. Any issues with the 58 or 65 gr V-max such as splashes, etc. on coyotes?

I'm a reloader so always open to other bullets I should be looking at.

Note: I'm aware of bullet jump, RPM, etc with the 8T so I'm mainly looking to run 65 or heavier varmint bullets in this twist.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have shot about 100 with 58 and 75s ((about 50/50) and never had a splash. Shooting a 1 in 8 Ruger in excess of 3400 and 3100 respectfully.
Kino has shot hundreds with the 58s. If he does not respond to this send him a PM.

I shot them a lot several years ago (58's) and don't ever recall a splash. They seldom exited, but I was pushing them in the 3,800 range. I liked the 70 gr. Ballistic tips as well.

i shoot 65 gr vmax @ 3500 fps with ar 10 and 20" barrel. sole purpose is thermal night hunting, i can hold high back to 325yds. Only exits i get are under 757ds or so, in 2 yrs iv yet to have a runner more than 50yds

I've had good results running the 65gr over varget in my day gun the past few years. No runners, drt. I run 55gr nosler bts in my night rig. They seem to be a little stouter construction, but I have seen both ends of the damage spectrum with them too.

From my experience the 58s shoot great but they will splash on frontal shoulder shots and gut shots leaves a giant mess.

Now they are once again available I've moved back to the 55NBTs. The Noslers are tougher, more chances of being fur friendly and super accurate.

Would you guys clarify 55 NBT. There are three 55 grain choices ballistic tip, ballistic tip boat tails, and flat base tip?

Last edited:
Haven’t done it out of the AR platform but my 243 Ackley with 58s was fast, flat and accurate.

I’m sure as always there’s the ones that will say it’s impossible 🙄 but with mine, out to 400yds it’s just point and shoot. Over 4,000fps and scary accurate. I maybe don’t shoot mine as much as you would or others do, but it’s lasted 4 seasons and no accuracy loss. Not “varmint” hunting, just a calling rifle. Love the 58s with a hard passion.

Would you guys clarify 55 NBT. There are three 55 grain choices ballistic tip, ballistic tip boat tails, and flat base tip?

This is what you seek.....

Nosler makes the 55 ballistic tip that's lead cored, purple tipped that is the original holy grail that's linked above, another called a Silvertip that's the same bullet but moly coated with a grey tip instead of the normal purple color and an all copper version for dudes with man buns that live and hunt California (they also squat to pee).

They also make the Varmageddon in 55gr. They have a much thinner jacket and are designed for prarie dogs and such, designed to fragment extensively.

The splash and large exit wounds are caused by small light fast bullets, you can fix 90% of the problem by shooting a 1 x 8 or faster twist barrel and a 105 to 108 bullet slowed down to 2900 to 3000 fps they will not be as flat as the light bullets but more effective and less stress on your barrel, I have .243s with 5000 rnds down the tube, that are very accurate.

The 55 Nosler I believe is what your after. I shot a coyote sitting on a log quartering to me in the throat a few weeks at about 35 yards out of a 22" Axis 243. Pin hole in and no exit. That's gonna be as fast and flat as it gets with a solid base bullet.

The splash and large exit wounds are caused by small light fast bullets, you can fix 90% of the problem by shooting a 1 x 8 or faster twist barrel and a 105 to 108 bullet slowed down to 2900 to 3000 fps they will not be as flat as the light bullets but more effective and less stress on your barrel, I have .243s with 5000 rnds down the tube, that are very accurate.

5000 rounds out of multiple 243s???

I along with 99.999999999% of the other 243 owners must be doing something wrong!! Barrel life is 12-1500 rounds from premium barrel makers like Bartlien, Brux, Kreiger, ect.

I have shot out 3 different 243 barrels, a 4th is getting close. I currently own 4 different 243s in various platforms, twist rates, barrel lengths, been around 243s my entire life and point being you are the only person I've ever heard claim 5k rounds from a 243!

Kino M, 5000 rnds is very doable in a .243, I own 6, 6mm, rifles if you slow down your loads a increase bullet weight, and don't cook the barrel with rapid fire. I use mostly Wilson 1 X 8 barrels I do have a new build with a Kreiger 1 x 7.5 barrel. I haven't mounted a scope on yet, I don't mind being the 01,000000000 % at all. and there's always room for improvement. Murl B.

I like the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip and 60 grain Seirra hollow points. I have both loaded a little over max book loads with no pressure signs in both my ARs. Both are going over 4,000 fps. Both these bullets driven at max loads are going to shoot Flatter, or as just as flat, as the flattest shooting calibers out there to 400 yards.

Last edited:
I'm going to try Varget and R15 as I have 8 lbs of each. Any other powders I should try?

I appreciate all the input.

Last edited:
8208xbr is amazing with the 55gr NBT both lead and lead free. 5 shots with lead free out of my Savage 10 Predator Max1 in 243:
243552a.jpg

Back