243 powder question

kevlars

I am going to load some 85 grain SGK's, and was wondering what powder/powders you guys would suggest?

I have on hand:
-Varget
-Hybrid 100V
-Retumbo
-8208 XBR
-Benchmark

Any ideas for those? Or, what else should I try?

Thanks, kevlars

My .243 loves the IMR 4350, but the H380 is a lot easier to meter if I am doing a large amount of reloading for it.

Lots of guys like Varget, but it doesn't group well in my old 788 at all. Slow powder nearly filling the case is what most of my rifles like best.

IMR 4350 is what I usually use for 95gr and up.

IMR 4064 is what I usually use for 80-87gr.

These 2 powders will get it done in the 243, and done well.

The only other powder I would ever bother trying is R-17.

I do also load some 380 for a friend. It meters and shoots well, but is dirty stuff IME. I used to use it a lot in my 22-250s........

I just loaded up varget in my new build pushing 80 gr Sierras. My old 243 liked 38 gr. Behind Barnes 85tsx. Oh the sierra group was .343 center to center three shots. It didn't like reloader 15.

I had a can of Win.760 setting around just begging to be used up. I have a new rifle in .243Win. settled on 45 Grs. of Win. 760 behind a 75 V-MAX Got it sighted in let the barrel cool completely and fired 2 rounds which were touching. plenty good for yotes till I do some real die hard load work up.

I like IMR 4064, IMR 4350,IMR 4831, H4350, N140, which I have used in my other two .243's. with good results with different bullets.

Many powders will work some better than others.All of the above will shoot less than 1"moa with different bullets and primers in my other two rifles.

DAB

Yes, and sort-of.
Win 760/H414, is among the older generation of ball powders. It is sensitive to an extent, it isn't as bad as RL-22 in the 25-06, but still somewhat.

The other issue is the 243. As many many reloading manuals/labs have said, the 243 case is a bit of a screwball. The 243 has random pressure excursions, with everything, for no reason.

Starting this summer, and working into this winter I have become a fan of CFE223(SMP-842) for the 243 in a BIG WAY!

Thus far it is incredibly stable, and provides very fast velocities, without pressure issues.

With the same bullet you are using I had best groups with Varget.

Tried both 4350's, 4064, 8208, and RL17 don't recall trying Benchmark for that bullet but my load for 65gr Vmax was with Benchmark.

I like all the powder suggestions given. But, what bullet weights are you guys using said powders with?

Thanks for all the help,
Kevlars

Back