243 Win - Federal Primers vs CCI

I`m (so far) not impressed with Varget.I bought a second pound of it to try again.Varget cost around $7-$8 more a pound than other powders I like to use.I READ elswhere on the net that Varget doesnt have very good lot to lot consistancy (+/- a full grain in a .308 Win. load)???
Like 458 Win says about web info. who knows.
I do like to keep the barrel clean (20-30 rnds then clean)when working up loads.good bad i dont know, just how I do it.

Why do you pay 7-8.00 more per lb??? Supply and demand??? Cabelas sells them all within 2.00 per lb on all IMR and H series powders???

The .243 was the first rifle cartridge I ever reloaded for. CCI Primers, H414, and Speer 100gr Boattails and 70gr TNT HP's. Why that particular combo? Because its all the gunshop had
laugh.gif

H414 is nice because it spherical and meters superbly. Varget is what I use in my .308 but have not had any trouble with it. $ difference between different BRANDs of powder varies $5-10 where I shop but most powders of a givin brand are within $1-$2 of each other.

Just be safe about reloading and if a particular load doesn't work out owell at least you tried it.

Originally Posted By: ADCcoyoteWhy do you pay 7-8.00 more per lb??? Supply and demand??? Cabelas sells them all within 2.00 per lb on all IMR and H series powders???
I suppose it could be supply and demand in my location? or maybe they seen me coming? haha I dont know.My Cabellas store(Omaha)usually has a small selection of powders / primers so I have bought most from Scheels. I cant recall which place I bought the Varget, but considering how many folks are using it with good results I figured its worth trying again.

I finally got a load with Varget and Nosler 70 BT's to shoot well in my 243, but I had folks tell me that CCI BR-2's worked better with Varget in particular, than the Rem 9 1/2's. I haven't confirmed that yet... ran out of 70's just as I picked up a case of the CCI's, but I will be shortly. Meanwhile, I tried 4064 with CCI's and some Sierra 80 (SBT) bullets - very nice!

41.8 of Varget w/70BT's @ 2.695" using Rem 9 1/2 LR primers.
39.8 of IMR4064w/80SBT's@ 2.650" using CCI BR-2 primers.

Now you might be able to swap in a Sierra 85 HPBT in that last 4064 load pretty easily, but otherwise I would consider both of the above to simply be varmint loads and not ideal for other hunting.

I've only been reloading for 2 going on 3 years now maybe, but I love it! Like you, I waited a long time to jump in but I am sure glad I did. You'll shoot more for the same $$, and shoot better at the end of the day. Enjoy.

I have 2 243's I use for hunting. I shoot a 95 grain Nosler Partition and IMR4350.. Primers are usually CCI but lately I have been using Federal..

As for a good accurate load, you will need to work that up in YOUR rifle.. What works for others might not work for you.. Every gun is different..

Last edited:
Back