300 blackout for hogs

Yoteless in Ohio

Team,

I want to save my thumbs from writing a long story on my IPad about why I am asking this question so I will go straight to it without all the whys and because's. (Plus it's time to wipe and leave the bathroom)

Is a 300 blackout a suitable weapon for hogs? I know there are better choices. That's not what I wanting to know. Is it "if you hit it right" like everything cartridge or a respectable round for hogs at 150 yards or less?

There are no hogs where I live, but I travel to Texas once a year to work and hunt for a day. So it will not be a well used weapon otherwise. I am looking at converting a 223 to 300. To use for varmints and hopefully pigs.

Maybe some of the Texas hunters will chime in. I have hunted hogs in Texas a couple of times, shots were on the long side, some big ones also.

Yes but...
My reason for buying it
A). Stands BCG & Mags
B). Low recoil
C). Night Vision
D). Spot Stalk
E). Kill distance between 30-50 yards avg. Killed 3 hogs at 70-80 yards.
I hand load hot rounds use Barnes Bullets.
Can it kill at 150 yards, yes.
Fields I hunt have cattle.
So it's a single purpose NV Hog Gun for spot stalk avg 50 yard shots.

If I had it to do over again I'd get a 6.5 Grendel.

150 yds or less it's a very acceptable choice. Use premium bullets such as Barnes Vortex ammo or Hog Hammers, ballistic tips don't always penetrate well. My 300blk accounted for 60+ in the hands of a half dozen different shooters last year.

A few clarification points that match what folks are saying.

The several times I have hunted in Texas it was east Texas, and shots were more in the 10-50 yard range. I killed a few last week that were closer than that. I stalk them at night and get danger close. As a result I have found myself in the middle of them with an empty gun.

Pigs in the area tend to top out at around 150 pounds. Yeah there are some bigger ones but if I can head shoot them it should matter as much.

The 300 blk seems to be the choice for semi auto and high capacity in the mini 14 platform. I know a competent hand loader that already has experience with this round and loads the aforementioned black tips.

These caliber debates always open a can of worms. I have both the 300BLK and 6.8SPC.

If I am close stalking a large sounder alone at night I can guarantee you I will be using the 6.8.

Add to that a 19mm thermal scope with a 22 degree FOV...... you are basically a blind man when they are not in that FOV with no lights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757
These caliber debates always open a can of worms. I have both the 300BLK and 6.8SPC.

If I am close stalking a large sounder alone at night I can guarantee you I will be using the 6.8.

Add to that a 19mm thermal scope with a 22 degree FOV...... you are basically a blind man when they are not in that FOV with no lights.

Always the case. Just trying to make due what I have available to me or easily available without much investment. I have bolt action rifles that are certainly better choices. And given that I go pig hunting once every one to three years I can't see buying a whole new gun or platform for it.

Originally Posted By: skindaddyif your that close go shotgun with blackout backup

I thought hard about that. But the first time I do that I won't get with 50 yards of them anymore.

Honestly I am starting to just figure on a lever action 44....I can use it on deer in Ohio then as well since we are restricted to pistol caliber rifles or slug guns here. And borrow a side arm. I'm too lazy to hump two long guns at the same time in the marsh bottoms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioAlways the case. Just trying to make due what I have available to me or easily available without much investment. I have bolt action rifles that are certainly better choices. And given that I go pig hunting once every one to three years I can't see buying a whole new gun or platform for it.

I guess I missed something in your post. I thought you were thinking about getting a 300 BLK for hogs. Are you saying you already have one?

If not I would go 6.8SPC for hogs in TX and deer in OH.

Or this.......

Originally Posted By: Zen Archery
If I had it to do over again I'd get a 6.5 Grendel.

I use this for backup when close up stalking. .45 M&P with a 22lb. Wolff spring and 600 lumen Light / Laser so I can light things up if I need to. I figure if you are going to turn on a flashlight and let the hogs know exactly where you are you might as well have it mounted to something with ammo in it.

9sYyWPF.jpg

Last edited:
You didn't miss anything Gman. I have an opportunity to upgrade my mini 14 to a 300 for just a few hundred bucks. A friend is letting one go with a busted up stock and trigger group cheap. So it will be less than a new rifle of any sort. I will be able to keep the parts I like of my gun and use his receiver and barrel.

6.8 is not a legal caliber in Ohio to hunt deer with and I don't hunt coyotes in Ohio anymore., so it is not a real option for me.

That's a nice sidearm. I done own anything like that. I do have a 380. I can borrow pistols where I am hog hunting and intend to in the future.

Love your avatar btw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioLove your avatar btw.

Thanks. I think it's a good pic of that Muslim POS that is in the White House.

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioYou didn't miss anything Gman. I have an opportunity to upgrade my mini 14 to a 300 for just a few hundred bucks. A friend is letting one go with a busted up stock and trigger group cheap. So it will be less than a new rifle of any sort. I will be able to keep the parts I like of my gun and use his receiver and barrel.

If it's good deal the 300 BLK should be fine for close range. I didn't even think about firearm restrictions for game animals. We have scrawny deer in FL so I don't even hunt them anymore. When I moved back to FL 20 years ago I gave my bow to my nephew and haven't killed a deer since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sigprosIt would be cool to have a mini 14 in 300 BLk just because I bet there ain't many out there

Hey are actually in production now with a short barrel and synthetic stock.

Man I got a sbr blackout, I got mixed emotions about it. ... this is my second attempt with the blackout. First go round I hated it, every bullet I used never really expanded and dumped energy. Complete pass through every time unless I shot a pig in the butt ruining from me. So I bought dies to reload for it but I was so not impressed I sold the gun. Now I got another one "don't ask me why" there's just something about sub sonic bullets smacking a target that gets me off. N e ways 110gr bullets do expand and look good when I find them in the opposite shoulder, but a dang 100lb pig will just soak them up and run. Sure I can shoot them in the head but I can do that with my 223. Long story short 6.8 is my next ar, I want a gun that my wife can shoot and not worry about having to make perfect shot placements. Barns new tac tx and nosler ballistic tips are about all I will shoot in the blackout.

Last edited:
Back