400lbs (Corrected to 500lbs!) MONSTER BOAR JUST TAKEN - Now with AAR

Nice piggy.

We grow 'em Big here in Georgia!!!
(let me edit) (The Farmers Feed Them Well Here in GA)

We also use .308's.

Last edited:
Yea you do...What the heck do those farmers feed these critters??!
scared.gif

Georgia crops that hogs love include corn, peanuts, soybeans and all the above make for huge hogs. Plus in most of the state the brush is thick enough for the hogs to have some very remote and tough places to penetrate so they can hide quite well.

Patterning them can be quite difficult once they figure out that they're being hunted. That's why Georgia has some huge hogs.

Night hunting is no guarantee that you'll see the big ones that survive long enough to figure that they need to be unpredictable. Hunting them with dogs is probably the most effective means but some farmers don't want ANY dogs on their land and can get quite militant about it so you can't just let your dogs range where the hogs are.

It ain't as easy as some might think.... LOL

$bob$

Originally Posted By: LDhunterGeorgia crops that hogs love include corn, peanuts, soybeans and all the above make for huge hogs. Plus in most of the state the brush is thick enough for the hogs to have some very remote and tough places to penetrate so they can hide quite well.

Patterning them can be quite difficult once they figure out that they're being hunted. That's why Georgia has some huge hogs.

Night hunting is no guarantee that you'll see the big ones that survive long enough to figure that they need to be unpredictable. Hunting them with dogs is probably the most effective means but some farmers don't want ANY dogs on their land and can get quite militant about it so you can't just let your dogs range where the hogs are.

It ain't as easy as some might think.... LOL

$bob$

Well said, some of the big hogs I get I have been after for months....

A few folks have wanted some explanation on the "BARR's" Our own TNVC_KYLE wrote this,

The question of a "Bar" has come up, in a couple posts. It is probably a local term, used here in South Georgia. But, I don't really know. Here's the skinny:

It refers to a pig that has been captured, castrated and then released. On our property, we live trap our wild hog population. We have a special cut-cage that we chase them into and then lift with the tractor. Their legs fall through the openings and they are pinned. After castration, we clip the tail off at the rump, in order to more readily identify the ones that have been cut. These "Bars" will become more elusive and, will rapidly start to grow. They also tend to run together. They put on a large covering of fat and, they also lose the typical stench that a large, wild boar (still with his goodies) will have. Probably this is due to the loss of testosterone. What you end up with is a stable of good-eating, very large, non-reproducing pigs.

Our pigs are a mix of the more wild razorback version and the more domestic style of feral pig. The difference between the two is usually on either end. The snout is longer on the more wild versions and, the tails will be straight. The feral ones will have the shorter snouts and the curly tails. How much of each trait is purely dependent on their lineage. We also see a tendency towards the higher, longer, higher-bristled back on the wild ones. However, this trait seems to get mixed in a lot quicker than the snouts and tails.

Hope that helps!

Be Safe

This large hog was very unpredictable and never established any type of feeding pattern. I hunted for him numerous times but one of the guys at this lease was nice enough to take his gun bow hunting and shoot this hog up for me while I was working out of town. He was not recovered and never seen again.

I suspect he was a Bar hog.

TUGd9cP.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ShurshotOriginally Posted By: Bill KingoreWow what a hog we don't have them here in our part of illinos as of yet but theyre coming. Who makes the d-790 and how much does it retail for?
manufactured by Night Optics
http://tnvc.com/shop/d790-magnus-6x-gen3-night-vision-scope/

The D-790 is really something special with it's high resolution glass with a very fast lens. I just wish NV pics through the tube can show how much ID detail is really seen with these units.

MDH_D790_Gen3_50yards_zpssij0tkdt.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gman757This large hog was very unpredictable and never established any type of feeding pattern. I hunted for him numerous times but one of the guys at this lease was nice enough to take his gun bow hunting and shoot this hog up for me while I was working out of town. He was not recovered and never seen again.

I suspect he was a Bar hog.

TUGd9cP.png

Frickin' Godzilla Gman!
w00t.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Yes id say they appear to b very special I looked at the link I am guessin I need to start a scope fund. With that being gen3 does it need an ir source at all?

Originally Posted By: Bill KingoreYes id say they appear to b very special I looked at the link I am guessin I need to start a scope fund. With that being gen3 does it need an ir source at all?

I'll let Vic give the answer to your question above,
But my experience with my Gen 3 Aquila is :
moon light= no IR needed.
no moon light= IR needed.
and the torch-Pro IR is awesome, when needed.

Back