55 GR Nosler 243?

A quick add on about the 55 MV's. A full house load of H380 gets an honest 4,000 fps in my partner's 22" barrel .243 Win.

The MV I'm using for my comparison above, is from my 6/284. But, so is the MV I'm using for the 87 Vmax.

Bullshop, you were using .243 Win. MV for the 55, compared to 6/06 MV for the 87. That's not apples to apples. My compare is and is therefore, in my opinion, more accurate and fair.

- DAA

I've only shot 7 coyotes with the 55gr Btip @ 3,900fps.

So far, I am disappointed. I have had runners and floppers that I did not get with the 75gr Vmax. I even lost one, which I have not had happen in a very long time, even when using my Hornet.

I shot a prairie dog at 308yds. It was on all fours, feeding. At the shot, it did not move and my son said I missed. It then crawled several feet to it's hole, dragging it's back legs. We went to look and there was a blood trail.

I'll use them for a few more coyotes, and if things don't improve, i.e. 'bang-flops', I'll go back to the 75gr Vmax. I only switched to the Btip because I ran out of Vmax and could not get any more at the time.

Dang... That is very different than what I've seen with them K-22.

I've only shot about 90 coyotes with them in my 6-284. Out of those, only a few took so much as a single step after being hit, even after being hit somewhat poorly. None ever in any danger of escaping (yet...).

But I've seen way more shot by my partner, using a .243 Win, pushing them at just over 4,000 fps. It just flat knocks the stuffing out of them very consistently. Bang flops are the rule, normally.

Who knows!

- DAA

DAA
Agreed!!! I cant dispute anything you said and think I pretty much said the same thing.
Sorry I did miss the higher velocity you posted for the 55gn in your 6x284.
BTW what twist if your 6x284"
I also agree with the recoil thingy you mentioned. My 6mm/06 had a break but my 6x284 does not. I miss the break for the very reason you mention. I hunt alone so have to spot my own hits and that is much easier with the break.
I may be considered un-sportsmen like but I take any shots I have time for at any range I feel I have a decent chance of making a hit on weather I can stay in the zone or not. I am hunting to put food on the table just like a coyote does and they don't seem very sportsmen like either. I don't get at all wound up in what others feel about my coyote hunting ethics or lack there of.
My limit is about 800 yards if I cant get closer but it is very rare that I cant get closer than 800 yards. My 800 yard limit has little to do with ethics and all to do with probability of hitting.
The closer I can get the higher the probability goes.
I appreciate your input and has made it worth while. Since guns and shooting are such a large part my life and how I earn my money I do enjoy getting into discussions like this but its not much fun or rewarding if no one talks back.
Just curious what can you expect to get for prime coyote down where you are? From here my best furs have been bringing in the high 90's for the past few years. I am a bit worried what this year will see with the Russian ruble devalued by about 70% from last year. Russia is one of the main bidders that has been keeping the price up.
Anyway its been fun and hope you have a fine end to this season.

My 6/284 is a 13T.

I wish I had a clue on prices this year. Have heard everything from holding up, to the sky is falling. Nobody I know has sold any yet though. My goods run the gamut too. I get into the little red coyotes when I hunt south, which never bring much - I bounty those and don't bother putting them up now. But then I also get into the really silky pale large coyotes when I hunt north, which bring pretty good prices - not as good as yours, but still not bad. Bounty is the easy money, for me, these days.

- DAA

No bounty here. What does that pay? Don't worry I wont be moving any farther south. Moved here to Dell Montana two years ago from Delta Junction Alaska. We moved here for the warmer weather. Funny thing is folks here think its cold here, HA!!! After 20 years in Delta we felt we needed a change. We like it here in Dell.
I think on my low end last year was $38.00 and my high end was $98.00. Year before last I got top lot honors from NAFA for my fur. I was quite proud of that.

I have shot one yote with the 55 grain nosler out of my 6mm Remington at over 4000fps at about 50 yards. One wound was smaller then 1/2" and the other about 3/4". Due to the yote flipping around I couldn't determine which was the entrance and the exit.

Originally Posted By: DAAA quick add on about the 55 MV's. A full house load of H380 gets an honest 4,000 fps in my partner's 22" barrel .243 Win.

- DAA

what is a full house load of h380?? its funny that is the load I chose for my sons sears 243, which is actually a push fed winchester. I think I put 50 grains of h380 in, is it north of that?

Originally Posted By: steve garrett I think I put 50 grains of h380 in, is it north of that?

Well north!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAADang... That is very different than what I've seen with them K-22.

I've only shot about 90 coyotes with them in my 6-284. Out of those, only a few took so much as a single step after being hit, even after being hit somewhat poorly. None ever in any danger of escaping (yet...).

But I've seen way more shot by my partner, using a .243 Win, pushing them at just over 4,000 fps. It just flat knocks the stuffing out of them very consistently. Bang flops are the rule, normally.

Who knows!

- DAA

I think it's strange as well, so, more 'research' is called for, haha.

My friend and I have been playing around with these in our 243s. We ended up with Noslers listed max load of 45.5 grains of Varget. We're getting 3850 fps through my chrony, and averaging 5/8" groups at 100 yards. We got the bullets seated to a COAL of 2.610", which is .1" shorter than what Nosler lists. But they shoot great, and are flat and fast. No thinking on shots between 100 and 300 yards being zeroed at 100. We've taken 4 dogs with them this last Saturday. They kill them almost instantly, but blow holes in them. However all of our shots were 100 yards or closer. If you want a flat and fast bullet to just kill dogs with, this is your bullet. If you want a fur round this is definitely not for you.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGRun the numbers for flat trajectory with a 150-yard zero vs 100.

You're correct, it will be flatter. My buddy and I just made these for a coyote tournament we were in on Saturday. We didn't have a lot of time to play with them. We found our speed and our drops to 500 and went for it. I know that after 500 yards the light little 55gr bullet will slow down fast, but I've never had the need to shoot at a dog past that. I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow possibly to zero at 150 or even 200.

OH man this thread may just spark the fire for a new rifle. So if the 55gn 6mm bullet at 4000+ fps is good medicine for coyote zapping out to 500 yards wouldn't then a 55gn .224" diameter bullet started at the same speed be even more efficient at slicing through the atmosphere?
I am thinking cartridges like the 22/6mm, 22/243 Middlestead, or the big 224 Clark might be the launch platforms able to get up to speed.

Originally Posted By: bullshop So if the 55gn 6mm bullet at 4000+ fps is good medicine for coyote zapping out to 500 yards wouldn't then a 55gn .224" diameter bullet started at the same speed be even more efficient at slicing through the atmosphere?

The short answer is, for a 55 gr., no. The 6mm has a higher BC. I know, I know, but check it for yourself. The dope checks out in the field too, it's real.

A 53 gr. Vmax, yes. But, I suspect a 53 Vmax at 4200+ fps would be a terrible coyote bullet.

My .20 Dasher, tossing the 39BK @ ~4350, is pretty dang flat and kills coyote surprisingly well. That particular rifle isn't very handy on a daytime stand though. But my .20-250 is!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAA
bullshop said:
A 53 gr. Vmax, yes. But, I suspect a 53 Vmax at 4200+ fps would be a terrible coyote bullet.

- DAA

its not even a good bullet at 3250fps either, more speed would be more problems.

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: bullshop So if the 55gn 6mm bullet at 4000+ fps is good medicine for coyote zapping out to 500 yards wouldn't then a 55gn .224" diameter bullet started at the same speed be even more efficient at slicing through the atmosphere?

The short answer is, for a 55 gr., no. The 6mm has a higher BC. I know, I know, but check it for yourself. The dope checks out in the field too, it's real.

My .20 Dasher, tossing the 39BK @ ~4350, is pretty dang flat and kills coyote surprisingly well. That particular rifle isn't very handy on a daytime stand though. But my .20-250 is!

- DAA

I hope to Lord willing run some bullets on infinity and see what it says about BC. I did just take a quick glance at the Hornady book and it showed a slightly higher BC for the 55gn 224" V-max which is a flat base design than for their 58gn 6mm bullet with a boat tail design. I think if both use a boat tail the BC spread will be even wider in favor of the .224" diameter. I have to go work on a bullet order now but maybe later today try to use the Sierra Infinity program to compare a .224" and .243" bullet of about the same design and weight and see what I can find out as to BC comparison.

Quote DAA """"The short answer is, for a 55 gr., no. The 6mm has a higher BC. I know, I know, but check it for yourself. The dope checks out in the field too, it's real.""""

According to Sierra you were right. The Nosler 55gn 6mm is assigned a BC of 276 and the 55gn 224 is 267. Starting them both out at 4200 fps and looking at the 500 yard numbers the 6mm shows the advantage but they are so close I don't think anyone could discern the difference in the field.
Funny that the Hornady manual assigns the .224" 55gn V-max a higher BC number than does Sierra in their Infinity program. If the Sierra program had given the 224/55 the same BC as did Hornady then the situation would have reversed but again the difference is so small no one could make use of it.
Sorry I took so long, I got busy making bullets.

Back