60gr V-Max performance on coyotes in the .223 Rem only [Oh no, not AGAIN!]

I still use the 60gr vmax in both my LTR and POF P415. They are my goto coyote bullet. Every coyote I've shot has DRT'd with them so far. No splashes for me but I probably haven't shot enough coyotes with them yet. I plan on trying the 40 gr NBT this year being I have them loaded 900fps faster so they shoot like a lazer to 300 yards.

Last edited:
A bullet that blows to pieces can not take advantage of it's initial weight, some forget this.

A guy is not going to get a splash with a 40g Sierra spt, 45g Sierra spt. They bleade off speed so fast that they will not blow up a p. dog at 275 with a muzzle velocity of 3850 in a 22 ppc. So, with the light bullets, you get great temp wound cavity short range, around 225 yards is where they start being dismal.

If your gun likes ballistic tips, it will probably shoot 40,50, and 55's very well.

BC is highly over-rated 200 yards and under, maybe further. Marketing has us programmed to shoot a vld type of bullet of some kind.

One of the most accurate and deadly short range coyote bullets a guy with a 223 can shoot is the Sierra 55g Semi point, SUPER accurate and very deadly.

Back