788 Remington ,bolt handle problems ??

I own four of them and have shot a combination of factory and reloaded rounds without a problem for many years - like 30.

That said, there is probably a strain of truth in the bolt handle breaking off tale, kind of like "where there's smoke, there's fire."
I suspect that the people who encounter these issues are the ones who push a round to the absolute limits (past the limit, actually) so that you get a sticky bolt lift on ejection, that probably mixed with improper resizing so that you have a crush fit on closing. Neither scenario being a sound practice for a hunting round.

There is a smith that passes by this site that will tell you that he has had to redo 788 bolts, but he will also say that he does not know anything about the care and feeding of those broken rifles. Kind of like detached bolts on other makes and models.

Don't load like an idiot; if you need a faster round buy a different caliber, and you'll probably never have a 788 bolt handle issue.

788's are good functional hunting rifles who's price has been severely inflated in recent years. Maybe we ought to all start bemoaning the fragility of their bolts so that the demand and the price will drop. Let's all blow this concern way out of proportion......

If you need a functional rifle and the caliber and price suits you then buy it. Just don't reload like a moron and you'll probably never have a problem.

My very first deer rifle was a 788 .308 carbine. I now own 4 788s and reload for all of them. Never broke a bolt handle. Like someone else said, you can break anything if you try hard enough. One thing about them, because of the rear locking lugs they are very hard on brass. The bolt actually compresses and lets the brass stretch. It is worse with hot loads.

Yes, they can break. I believe I have even seen a set of tools sold to reattach them. The fact that tools were made specifically for such repairs tells me there's more than just a few breaks happening.

However, that being said, I have seen only 1 which was broken. However, a replacement was not available, from any source. The repair is not cheap.

First off...the bolt handle on a 788 Remington is not attached in the same manner as the bolt on a 700 action unless saying that both are silver soldered makes that true.

If you'll follow the link, you'll find a few more objective answers to your response from folks who have "been there"...

As one poster states, they are a rifle that had a few advantages and a few problems and thus they were worth about what you paid for one back in the 1970's. The current "cult" following of the 788 has raised their used prices, but it didn't solve their built-in problems that were the real and not the fictionalized reason Remigton quit making them..

http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16580&highlight=bolt

HTH - BCB

PS - As I stated in this link, I am a 788 owner, both past and present, but that doesn't make me want to deny the truth...

Quote:
First off...the bolt handle on a 788 Remington is not attached in the same manner as the bolt on a 700 action unless saying that both are silver soldered makes that true.

If you'll follow the link, you'll find a few more objective answers to your response from folks who have "been there"...

As one poster states, they are a rifle that had a few advantages and a few problems and thus they were worth about what you paid for one back in the 1970's. The current "cult" following of the 788 has raised their used prices, but it didn't solve their built-in problems that were the real and not the fictionalized reason Remigton quit making them.. .. Thanks .to everyone who replied .. And for these links ... Mine is a 223 obviously made between 75 and 80 .. The clip rattled alot and I found 2 layers of duct tape along the sides and around the front of the clip worked great . It also makes it a non drop free , so I,m not as paranoid of it falling out ... My plan it to use ot as an around home area fur rifle .. My load is 21.4 gr IMR or H 4198 with a mag primer and 55 gr Hornady FMJ BT that I moly tumbled .. After I bedded the front of the action and the rear tang , the rifle printed a 4 shot group [clip full] 1 5/32"x 1" @ 200 yards with a 1.5-6x26 Burris Signature scope ........ I took the iron sights off and sewed a non leather strap sling onto the military style swivels that I installed .............

For expeditinary wolf hunting I will get a Ruger ......They don,t break ...... But I enjoy this little rifle so I look foward to alot of fun hunting with it .....
http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16580&highlight=bolt

HTH - BCB

PS - As I stated in this link, I am a 788 owner, both past and present, but that doesn't make me want to deny the truth...

788s,Guess you either love'm or hate'm, huh? Well I love'm and the deer and coyotes hate'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Do an internet search for any make/model firearm and you will no doubt find criticism for one reason or another. Nothing pleases everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
788s,Guess you either love'm or hate'm, huh? Well I love'm and the deer and coyotes hate'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Do an internet search for any make/model firearm and you will no doubt find criticism for one reason or another. Nothing pleases everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Okie:

I don't hate 'em at all. As stated earlier, I still own a couple of them. I just ain't gonna love 'em unconditionally either because I own a couple of them.

As I said earlier, in reality they're worth about what you paid for one back in the 1970's. Some folks apparently just like being overly sentimental and willing to put out lots of cash for something Remington long ago decided wasn't worth making any longer because of their inherent problems. If they were as good as some folks want you to believe, Remington would still be making them...

-BCB

They do break, I purchased one of mine used with a bubbized butter knife style bolt handle. It shoots great but I do not push the limits with my reloads.
And as stated by BCB they have issues but so does the Rem 700 and the Ruger 77 and Win 70 and.......

jme

arky65

Where the bolt handles get broken off most 788's and custom guns is when the owner tries to chamber a round from another gun or a previous chamber and the round gets stuck.

Rage starts to build as the guy tries to wrangle the bolt closed by standing on it, then trying to open it.

In desparation, he then grabs a 2x4 or hammer and all it takes is one good lick and the bolt handle goes fly'en.

For some guys, you can't even idiot proof a rake.

I have a collection, and yes I have one that has a broken bolt handle, 243, but I share a bolt for another 243 works fine, would like to buy a 243 bolt if some one has one. The bolt handle is pressed in and solderd in the old days using a lee loader you did not get a full size resize- too much pressure twisted it right off.

The only problem I've had with mine was something with the sear. The only reason it was malfunctioning was because it was dirty on the inside. Just keep them clean and they'll work for a long time.

When I needed to fix a broken bolt on a 788 in .222 I surfed the net and found there was a problem with the bolts breaking. There were ads with quotes on fixing broken 788 bolts. I didn't see any for 700's, 70's ect. So there must be a problem with them.

I own one in 223 and the bolt is still intact so far, I have a friend who broke 2 of them, I was not there so I cant say for sure what he was doing to break them. Having said that I have had to pound on my bolt, NOT TO CLOSE IT BUT TO OPEN IT!! This seems to happen when I have reloaded brass to many times and the have stretched or I have reloaded rounds fire formed brass from other guns. So now I dont use brass other than that fired from my gun and after the 3rd reload I turn them over to my mini 14 that will eat anything, so far no more trouble. It must have something to do with the tight tolerances with the multiple lug locking system.

Quote:
As I said earlier, in reality they're worth about what you paid for one back in the 1970's. Some folks apparently just like being overly sentimental and willing to put out lots of cash for something Remington long ago decided wasn't worth making any longer because of their inherent problems. If they were as good as some folks want you to believe, Remington would still be making them...

You ever decide to sell yours let me know. I'll give you a 1970's price sight unseen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif I agree 100% that they are not as idiot proof as some other models. There-in lies the problem. As far as their worth, I'd say they're worth whatever the buyer will pay. They are no longer made and lots of people like them, supply and demand you know.

I have heard of the bolt handles being an issue but have also heard that the biggest issue is having them knocked around like between the seat of the truck and then braking off.

Another issue with the 788 that I have heard of is broken ejectors and with my luck that is just what I have, a 788 in the 44mag with a broken ejector, well there is still a nub there. Shoots awesome I just have to rack the bolt at the right speed or the casing just falls in the action making the clip an expensive shell holder.

I love it....! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I expanded my vocabulary today.... Now "cheaply made" really means "not as idiot proof". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Okie:

Since I'm obviously an idiot because I had one that a bolt handle broke on, I'd hate to match wits with you in a gun deal. You'll just have to find another hucklebbery to ply your trade on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
"They are no longer made and lots of people like them, supply and demand you know."

And you're obviously an economic genius in hiding.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

-BCB

Back