7mm-08

markley

Hey i am looking at getting a 7mm-08. i really like tikka's due to the fact i have a couple friends with them and they really are great shooters. i also like how light they are too for hunting. im looking at the t3 lite stainless. does anybody have any info on these? i will be using it for coyotes, deer and shooting 5-700 yards. also what is the heaviest bullet anybody has shot?

It will do all of the above.
About as heavy as I would go with would be the 162-168's.
The 162 A-max is a good performer for all of the above.
They have worked good for me on deer and antelope.

Are you dead set on the 7mm-08? Just wondering cause I really wanted one untill I started reading more about the 260Rem. That would be another really nice cartridge that would fill the bill nicely.
thumbup.gif

IMO you'd be hard pressed to find a better cartridge for most anything in N.America.I know lots of folks like Tikkas but if it were me I'd get the Win Featherweight or the new compact version.I'm not sure offhand what the twist rate is on my Ruger M77 in 7x57 but it shoots well with everything I've tried between 120-175gr bullets.Case capacity is just slightly greater than the 7-08.The only load that shot poorly was the Norma 110gr factory load.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunRight cartridge, wrong rifle......
How about the 7mm-08 in a Rem model seven? that would be my personal choice. I have to have the 700 action.

i am a remington guy but i have shot my buddies tikkas and am very impressed for how light and accurate they are with my handloads.

If you like it, that is all that matters.

The 7-08 is a GREAT cartridge.

My current 7-08 is a Sako Finnlight with a McMillan Sako hunter on it. It is one of my 2 favorite deer rifles........

100_0382.jpg

I have the model 7 in 7mm08. It's the old style LS before the x-marks. I love it. I adjusted the trigger myself and it rivals my Rifle Basix in my 700. For a pencil barrel rifle, it flat shoots. It's all the whitetail rifle I need around here. My buddy had the 7mm08 mountain rifle in a blued/walnut with a factory detachable magazine. It was a great shooter but was a little long for my tastes in the woods around here. I did like the DM on it though. Shame somebody relieved him of his possesion of it before he knew what happened. That rifle flat slammed some deer running 140 Core-Lokts. My model 7 laminate, shoulders like a full size rifle, carries like a short carbine.
MODEL7.jpg

The o8 is a performer. You know the Tikka will shoot with a great trigger. Sako is a step better. The Rem is a crapshoot.

I have rolled 7s and 11s on every "crapshoot" I've taken thus far.

New brand new out of the box 700 ADL shot a WORST group of under 7/8" the other day. Best groups of around 1/2", and easily sub-moa @ 200 yds.......

What is everybody using for handloads? i was thinking about using the 120 and 140nosler bt or the 139gr sst. also what poowder? what are people getting for groups?

I have just the rifle 2muchgun would love to own!!!!!
7mm-08 Browning Micro Medallion with 1.75x6 Lupy
This gun has taken more game than any rifle I own which include a cougar in BC and Moose in New Foundland and enough deer to fill a truck.140gr does the job.

If you really like the Tikka's why not just step up to a Sako A7. It still has plastic parts, is lightweight, and shoots accurate. Pretty close in price too.

I picked up a nice Rem 700 SPS in 7-08 and a like new McMillan stock for it with a total price under $700.

The rifle looks new. I'm in the process of glass bedding it now. It may not need it, but I do it anyways.

Rem7007-08.jpg

With the Leupold M8 6 power scope it weights in at 7lbs-9 oz.

I think it should work out.

the sako is a little out of my price range. i can get the tikka for a good price because i know my dealer very well. he treats me really good.

I used to load 140gr Partitions over 4350. Lately I load 120 TSXs over R-15.

7-08 ain't picky. Varget, 760, 414, 4064, all work well.....

Quote:I have just the rifle 2muchgun would love to own!!!!!
7mm-08 Browning Micro Medallion with 1.75x6 Lupy
This gun has taken more game than any rifle I own which include a cougar in BC and Moose in New Foundland and enough deer to fill a truck.140gr does the job.

That Browning might blow up you know or the trigger might get stuck from rust.
wink.gif

Back