A brush with the law.

FAL has handled things admirably. I started typing a lengthy explanation of how real cops work, then thought better of it.

Short form is this:
There are jerks in every profession. Not all cops are jerks.

The cops asked her questions probably to occupy the time while checks came back, not to get her to justify her concealed carry permit.

The cop that pointed a gun at you, according to you, simply for speeding, should be in the unemployment line, if not facing criminal charges.

We are not trained to put people in jail for nothing.

Very few people are convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

You shouldn't treat cops as the bad guys - most of us are here to protect and serve you.

We're not perfect; neither are you.

Yes. It takes AT LEAST four cops to respond to an armed person call. You'd blame the cops for not responding strongly enough had it not been the 5'3" law abiding female, but rather a nut job hellbent on taking out the doctor/staff that "let" his wife die. Then many of you would be saying "What were those cops thinking? What idiots, responding to an armed person call with just one cop!"

Wow guys,I did not post this because I felt the officers did anything wrong.I Found it hummorus because my lady is such a goody two shoes that she wouldnt even consider crossing the street at the wrong spot.I felt the officers involved handeled it well considering she had a gun in a posted area,And had no Idea if she was nuts or what,Ive had a few lady's in my life that if they had a gun Id be afraid.lol.
Bob.

Bob,

We know you didn't expect this post to turn out this way as I'm certain no one did. Sometimes things just get going in a different direction. What I can say is everyone here has handled themselves very well and in a curtious manner. We all here at PM appreciate that.

Those of us that have worn the uniform and done the job, know what we speak. We build sort of a bond and many of us know of someone that has paid the ultimate price for doing their job while protecting citizens.

We look at traffic stops as pretty minor tasks and many of the citizens we stop have in fact never been contacted by the police so, we as professionals, try to make that contact as brief and comfortable as possible. You do on occassion get the attitude from some folks that have for whatever reason, been contacted on numerous accounts and they often times believed they are being picked on. Don't get me wrong, we can make a project out of anyone, but usually those are short lived and we get bored too quickly to waste too much time on any one person.

Even though traffic stops can be mundane, the fruits of your labor can, at times, be astonishing. We can catch some big time criminals if we just dig a little. And so the reason for the questions, you tell us one thing and then you do something else, that red flag starts ringing a loud bell as Barry stated earlier. So relax guys, the next time you get stopped, remember, the Officer dosen't know you and has no idea what, if anything, you have just done. Just do as your asked and be polite.

For those of you that have been handled improperly by the locals, it happens from time to time. The Officer may be angry, scared, who knows and you happened to be the one that got picked on that night. I do believe a gun in the face for speeding is a bit over the line, however, we sitting here today, really don't know the facts around why it happened, after all it's just one side of the story. We do have Barney's running around in many depts. I always carried a bullet in my shirt pocket so I could show the person when they made a Barney remark, it always got a good laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Love these cop bashing threads.... Funny, you never see an auto mechanic, plumber, carpenter, truck driver, nurse, office machine repairman, computer geek squad guy, blah, blah, bashing thread. Maybe the cops should start some threads about some of the A-holes we've had trouble with and bash their work/profession based on their attitude and crappy behavior of a once/twice encounter. I promise you that could be a very entertaining thread.

Naw, I'm honored, privileged, and humbled today because today is a local school Homecoming Day and Parade. Some of the students are marching in the parade dressed as their hero’s. They are dressed as people they admire and think make a difference in their world. In the parade today is a young man dressed in a uniform just like mine, he is carrying Daren the DARE Lion and a sign that his hero is… me. I got a serious knot in my throat when his mother called me and asked if she could borrow one of my uniform shirts and explained why.

I had another serious knot in my throat yesterday when a little 10 year old girl confided in me, and refused to speak to anyone else, but trusted me with her and her friends daddy’s “secret”… Very soon I’ll have that man in jail for breaking the trust and violating the innocence of a young girl. I’ll do that by asking questions and working hard to protect that sweet little girls right to be safe and with the expectation that grown men not look at her as a sexual object for their perverted pleasure. So go ahead and bash away, I’ll sleep happy in the knowledge that I make a real difference in the community I serve.

GC.
Not being an officer I can say that sounds like a back 40 offence to me.And your a better man than I for only putting him away.I have three daughters and if it were one of mine Id probably be a guest in a cell some where.

Quote:
GC.
Not being an officer I can say that sounds like a back 40 offence to me.And your a better man than I for only putting him away.I have three daughters and if it were one of mine Id probably be a guest in a cell some where.

+1. This is why I could never be an Officer. Doesn't matter who's little girl that is,mine or not, If I were involved in that investigation.........well, I'm from the country and know a few places where they wouldn't find the body.

GC, buddy I really hope you nail that dude to the wall and rest assured that there is a special room in Hades for people like that.

Chupa

To call this a cop bashing thread is a pretty big stretch. Now, since you brought it up, I'm a carpenter, and if someone came on here complaining about some shoddy work some other carpenter had done, I seriously doubt I'd immediatly start defending his actions then feel like everyone was "bashing" my profession. Come on man, no one here made one single blanket statement about cops being bad. Just some individual circumstances and stories. EVERYONE here respects,admires,and appreciates what you guys do for us. Just don't be so defensive. Now if I tell you about the time I was pulled over, yanked out of my truck, face slammed onto the hood, 9mm to the back of my head, pockets emptied, Copenhangen dumped out, then issued a littering ticket for an old rusty Falstaff can that was lying in the ditch, does that mean I'm bashing the cops? I don't think so. I was 18 when that happened. Apparently mistaken identity, I'll never know the prequel to that little incident, but I'll never forget it and speaking of bashing, that cop needed some bad!

Quote:
To call this a cop bashing thread is a pretty big stretch. Now, since you brought it up, I'm a carpenter, and if someone came on here complaining about some shoddy work some other carpenter had done, I seriously doubt I'd immediatly start defending his actions then feel like everyone was "bashing" my profession. Come on man, no one here made one single blanket statement about cops being bad. Just some individual circumstances and stories. EVERYONE here respects,admires,and appreciates what you guys do for us. Just don't be so defensive. Now if I tell you about the time I was pulled over, yanked out of my truck, face slammed onto the hood, 9mm to the back of my head, pockets emptied, Copenhangen dumped out, then issued a littering ticket for an old rusty Falstaff can that was lying in the ditch, does that mean I'm bashing the cops? I don't think so. I was 18 when that happened. Apparently mistaken identity, I'll never know the prequel to that little incident, but I'll never forget it and speaking of bashing, that cop needed some bad!

Good post !

My post was not made to offend anyone . Just to tell about something that happened to me . I'll probably always remember the guy talking to me with the "I'm above you " attidude .
I know for a fact that every police officer is not like that . It seem as though some of the guys defend this crap and I think that's wrong .
I can also say that earlier this year I was pulled over for speeding by an Ohio State Trooper . He was very professional and respectful . I got a speeding ticket and have no problem with that at all , I deserved it .

Mr. FAL , If someone were to rape my little sister(or anyone else in my family) , they would be very lucky if the police found them before I did !

This is the last time I will post in this thread . If anyone would like to discuss any of this further with me , feel free to send me a PM .

Quote:
Forget all this silliness, my question would be why does it take FOUR officers to handle this situation?

It depends on how the call came in and how the dispatch went out. It also depends on the department, man power, etc. If the call came in as "A man with a gun...blah, blah, blah..." I wouldn't be suprised to see a boat load of LEOs from multiple jurisdictions show up with bells and whistles. Four officers is not an unrealistic number at all.

Oops, didn't even see the third page of the thread.

Last edited:
10 years in the State Prison system
2 years County Jailer
16 years as a Cop

Saw and did most everything. Citizen Complaints spark the responses. "There is a guy circling my Block and I think he is planning on Robbing me." Cop finds any reason or no reason to pull you over.

Personally I am like an old sorry Hound. If you are speeding I like to run the Rabbit. The Officer should have made his decision to write a ticket before he makes the stop other wise he is just harassing the public.

If the Officer is fishing he stops for every BS infraction he can find. If he asks for consent to search and you let him, you will most always get a warning ticket. If you refuse you will most always get a citation for the Offense the Officer used to stop you. The bad attitude will always get you in trouble. You might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride.

I stopped a Truck Driver for making an unsafe turn. He gave me such a hard time, I took him to jail instead of writing him a ticket. (He actually caused an accident) Turns out he was a previously deported Felon and I actually suspected that before I took him to jail. If he would have been polite and accepted the ticket without the attitude, he would not have been caught.

I had the misfortune I guess of arresting the same drunk driver three times in two years, at his trial for felony DUI, his lawyer beefed me for being the only cop in town to ever arrest his client. I had to explain to the jury and show documentation how his first time was due to a complaint from a local fast food joint about this guy drinking in the drive through and being abusive to the female staff. I drove up as the defendant squeled rubber out of the drive through almost broadsideing another vehicle he was stopped for exibition of speed, the second time was due to a citizen complaint six months after the first arrest, the defendants pick up was stopped in the middle of a residential street with the lights out and motor running, the street was very dark at that point and his pick up was black, he was passed out behind the wheel, no brainer. And the third arrest was when this pillar of the community, was driveing sixty(radar) through a school zone. while the school was letting out, it was a mirical no kids were hit. I had to pursue him almost ten blocks before he stopped, he was arrested for attempt to elude, felony speeding, and suspicion of DUI ( he blew a 2.0) I was not stalking that clown, in fact I would have rathered not haveing to ever deal with him, he has a very foul mouth and urinated and crapped and barfed in my patrol unit every time I arrested him. That is just one person, I got the honor of protecting during my career.
I do get tired of hearing how some cop did this or that, and every time a bad cop is in the news it is like every cop is like that just give them time.

Well Blinddog, you'd be interested in an arrest my son made years ago, not long after the police academy. He stopped a drunk riding a bicycle on a main drag in Albuquerque, NM. They did the BAC on him and he was 4X the legal limit (0.32) and was keeping the bike going fairly well. A doctor friend of mine said only a career drunk could do that, most people would be in or close to alcohol poisoning.

I enjoy an occasional beer but what it would take to get me at 0.06 at 180# would slur my speech let alone much higher.

Of the few traffic stops I've had for speeding, all but one of the officers have been courteous and professional. The grumpy one gave me a warning.

As Blinddog says, walk in their shoes and consider the many obnoxious people they may have dealt with before coming in contact with you. Don

My opinion, a complaint was recieved, it had to be checked out.
suppose it would have been some whacko with a gun that opened fire in the dr's office, imagine the liabilities that would have followed.
since the call came through 911, it had to be followed up. I have a permit, anytime I'm pulled over the permit is handed to the officer with my liscense and insurance info, if they ask if I'm carrying I respond yes, I then explain to them for my safety and theirs I'll hand them my piece or unload it for them after they give me the go-ahead, I then move very slowly to retrive my weapon, eject the mag, slide the slide back and lock open and request they lay it on the hood till the interview is over. some cops seem to apreciate that, some act like I'm just a legal criminal. the one thing that is burnt into my brain is, va. tech proved 1 thing, in a true life and death situation, the police cannot help you! but glad they're there for the rest.
RR

I would have told the nurse to off on the way out.

We get a lot of 'snow birds' here in AZ, they love to mention crap like "people don't carry guns in California" I usually answer "great, F-Off and go back there!"

Last run in I had with a cop, I had been hunting all day. He asked me "what's with all the blood in the bed of the truck"? I told him "I just took my Pug to the vet, I think she's in heat"

Cops in AZ never ask you why you carry, if they didn't I'd answer "It's my right to decide when and where I'll be a victim".

Back