An effective 20 gauge load for yotes?

Yes Sully was wrong in that you can get 200 yard performance out of a 20ga slug. But then again maybe he wasn't. The OP is talking about a Savage 24 not a T/C or a pump gun with a rifled barrel. So recommending a slug at 200 yards to the OP was off base too.

To the OP, While your 24 has advantages as a meat gun it also has many limitations, especially for coyote hunting. If you can get a hold of a 12 ga pump just go that route.

CB

From Chuck Hawks...

The 20 gauge sabot bullet weighs 260 grains. It also has a MV of 1900 fps, and its velocity at 100 yards is given as 1615 fps. The ME is 2084 ft. lbs., and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 1506 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +2.0" at 50 yards, +2.7" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards.

fe1d9de3.jpg

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

I wonder why Nikon makes a "slug hunter BDC" with a 200 yd circle? Hmmm....

Quote: your stupidity has earned you a place on the do not reply list.

I honestly don't know how, and in some cases I feel it may of been well deserved, but I've always refrained from calling anyone posting here stupid. I guess mainly because of the TOS?

Going forward, if it is an acceptable word to call a person here, I'm sure I could a few fitting places to use it.

Mods, can we get an official ruling on this?

I will say I have seen or heard about alot of gutshot deer from guys that thought they had a 200 yard slug gun. Just because it has a rifled barrel don't make a rifle. Just saying. I want an animal to die fast and not suffer but thats just me and my ethics. Yours my differ and thats fine.

As for what to use without having to get a new gun I would say 2,3,4 buck wouldn't be a bad spot to start. May be able to find some high density load that would work too in BB. If you want to spend that much.

The 20 has a little less range but many people say it works ok. Don't expect to have more then a 40 yard gun if you are lucky. If you are lucky a 12 gauge can take it to 50 maybe even 60 yards. So if 10 or 20 yards is important to you get a 12. If its not important start testing ammo and pray for a good 35-40 yard 20 ga pattern and go at it. There is just a really lousy selection of 20 ga loads. 12 ga is superior just because there are so many loads it is a better chance to find one that will pattern good at 50 or more yards.

Originally Posted By: sully2

I shy away from "tactile" rifles because its a phase...and someday you'll buy them for 25 cents on the dollar when people get tired of the,. The "wannabe snipers" will all have passed...or grown up..one or the other.

Sully,
I know a lot of good folks on here that hunt with AR's. None of them are "wannabe snipers", all of them are "grown up", and they are some of the best hunters I know.

And if you're going to criticize "termoil", please learn how to spell tactical.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760From Chuck Hawks...

The 20 gauge sabot bullet weighs 260 grains. It also has a MV of 1900 fps, and its velocity at 100 yards is given as 1615 fps. The ME is 2084 ft. lbs., and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 1506 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +2.0" at 50 yards, +2.7" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards.

fe1d9de3.jpg

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

I wonder why Nikon makes a "slug hunter BDC" with a 200 yd circle? Hmmm....

Nikon makes it - because some folks will buy "into it".

It is laughable that chuckhawks even included the drop#'s for 300yds and beyond.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceYes Sully was wrong in that you can get 200 yard performance out of a 20ga slug. But then again maybe he wasn't. The OP is talking about a Savage 24 not a T/C or a pump gun with a rifled barrel. So recommending a slug at 200 yards to the OP was off base too.

To the OP, While your 24 has advantages as a meat gun it also has many limitations, especially for coyote hunting. If you can get a hold of a 12 ga pump just go that route.

CB

I thank you....I think??...lol

My first reply post was( wish I had been more explicit but alas..) I wished to see someone...using that Savage...hit a Yote target at 200yds with a 20 gauge slug.

I wanted a 24 in the worst way when I was a kid...back when they were 22/.410...but for some reason never got one.

And whil I would be trying to use slugs thru it for Yotes...I sure wouldnt hesitate to use #4 or #3 buckshot on called in Yotes...which would be relatively close range.

Or maybe some of these so called shotgun experts would recommend #2 at 200 yards!....LMAO

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Um...... that's from my iPhone, bro. Chucks stuff is in orange.

and some folks consider iPhones to be Smart too...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: sully2

I shy away from "tactile" rifles because its a phase...and someday you'll buy them for 25 cents on the dollar when people get tired of the,. The "wannabe snipers" will all have passed...or grown up..one or the other.

Sully,
I know a lot of good folks on here that hunt with AR's. None of them are "wannabe snipers", all of them are "grown up", and they are some of the best hunters I know.

And if you're going to criticize "termoil", please learn how to spell tactical.

#1 I never stated ALL are....but let me ask this...how do YOU know who of them dont harbor such fantasy's?????? And myself and many others STILL believe that its a "phase" and someday the bubble wil burst and they will be unloading tactile "weapons" by the barrelfull.

Tactical rifles; tactical semi auto pistols; tactile scopes ( must more $$ because they are "tactile"..
blink.gif
) and the one that still slays me is the tactical knife syndrome.!!
Its all built and sold because someone wants it..and nothing more.

Peruse the internet and look for an honest to god GUNSMITH!!! No..I dont mean a guy that can snap together parts and "build" an ARsomething or other. 90% or better of advertisements are so those things.

And as I said..someday the bubble will POP!

Last edited:
Sully is just expressing his opinion, nothing against the TOS on this website.

at least he didn't state that tactical weapons only look good in the hands of a "Tatted Up" Sniper...
smile.gif

I think I need to get checked out...

In a midst of lots of blubber, there is a few tidbits I agree with you sully. The "tactical" thing is way overbore & quite rediculous. The other day I was at BP, I see a flashlight that is $40, then right beside it is the same light but "tactical". It has the end knurled/spiked & cost $20 more. Things like that set me on fire.

There are lots of "wanna be's", mall ninja's & invisible villian shooters, whatever out there. However, there are all types of crazies around no matter what your into. Although, there are certain things that have come from "tactical" that are quite nice/usefull.

I in NO way consider myself a "Tactical" kind of guy. However, I'm open minded enough to try some things. From this I have found my favorite stock configuration. I far & above prefer the A3 to any type hunting stock I have ever touched. I also have a custom barreled AR-15 (although I've never shot it fast whatsoever) that will outshoot MANY bolt actions that I like very much.

I shoot several competitions. Most benchrest, club, & egg shoots but the funnest (best format) I have ever been to was a "Tactical" style match engaging targets from 60-600 yards from different positions (it reminded me of shooting deer in a cut-out). It was a blast.

Tactical knives, flashlights, guns, rocks, bacon (yes it's a real thing), etc. may fade in the future but there are SEVERAL things that spawn from them that never will. The "traditional" sport guns will likley fade or morph with some ideas "from the dark side" more than likely.

If you gave some things a chance you might find some are VERY usefull. Picatinny rails/rings being one of them! You know you want some...

Sully2,May I offer a suggestion.I was told by an older fellow years ago,"It's not always what you say,it's how you say it". Something we could all keep in mind,and strive for.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeI think I need to get checked out...

In a midst of lots of blubber, there is a few tidbits I agree with you sully. The "tactical" thing is way overbore & quite rediculous. ......

Clutching my heart and falling back!!!! "Im coming to meet you Ethel...with a bottle of Ripple in my hand"!!!!!
lol.gif

Last edited:
Back