Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Finally getting back into the swing of things after a couple years off from woodchuck hunting. I started July 10th and I've racked up 31 so far. I'll probably fall short of 300+ for the year but I'm hoping to break 200 for my "season".

Played another round today at the golf course. Got four in just under two hours. All large, healthy adults this time. 60 yds, 125 yds, 130 yds and 50 yds all with the 17 HMR and all head shots.

The first was one I've been after for two years. It never strays far from the burrow, but I was able to sneak up on it when it's back was turned and waited for it to go broadside. Had to put another into its head to finish it off and it was still kicking.

The second did a complete circle before going belly up.

Like the first two, the others were all sniped from the prone position.

Before going home for dinner I decided to check out the farm where I missed one three times last night. Thought for sure I must have jarred the scope somehow. So much so I went to the range this morning to dial it in. It was off ever so slightly at 100 yds. Chalk the misses up to human error. Still don't know what went wrong?

Anyway, the hog was a no show and the wife called to say dinner was ready. So I headed out the back way checking as I drove. When I glanced at an upper field to my right where I'd seen one run last week, I spotted one on the ridge at 140 yds. Had the 223 with me and decided to give it some exercise. Dead on arrival. Included a shot from the truck. The hog was just below the dried grass at the top of the ridge.

That was a fun day!

Took the opportunity tonight to go old school and break out the old Winchester Model 60 .22lr. I seldom use a .22 for woodchucks but due to troubles getting .17HMR ammo and having some extra .22 ammo around I figured now was a good time to use it. It was nice change from carrying a varmint weight rifle around. I kept the shots under 100 yards but still managed to miss one of the five I shot at.

One of the young ones of the night.

One of the adult females.

Added another 11 to the tally with the .20 Practical tonight. Missed one at 250 yards trying to get him on the move after shooting his buddy. Thankfully the little bit of rain we got and the overcast sky helped get more chucks out in the fields tonight. The upcoming cold front should make for some good chuck hunting next week...

Two pairs that died within 10 yards of each other.

Those are some healthy looking chucks! Nice shooting! 11 in one night. I have not seen numbers like that in years!!

Just noticed you're from Bradford County, PA. My daughter-in-law's parents are in Columbia Crossroads. Where are you?

Went from one end of my territory to the other tonight looking for hogs I've seen earlier and have eluded me up to now. The first one was at 115 yds with the 17 HMR.

Guess I was within ear shot. Ha, ha.

Did not see the second one, but did get a pup at 177 yds with the 223. Side A and side B.

Just after I shot the second the wife calls and says there are two state police officers at the door. Next thing I know I'm talking to one of them. He said they got a call from the Ford dealership next door to where I shot the first hog. He asked a few questions and that was it. Good to go. But I'm definitely going to talk to the owner of the dealership. I've bought several cars from him personally over the years. Have to get this straightened out for the future. Anyway, another fun night!

Originally Posted By: DogboneThose are some healthy looking chucks! Nice shooting! 11 in one night. I have not seen numbers like that in years!!

Just noticed you're from Bradford County, PA. My daughter-in-law's parents are in Columbia Crossroads. Where are you? "

Coincidentaly...about seven miles north of Columbia Crossroads.

Dogbone, I had a similar experience - really upset me. I'm shooting ground-hogs in a field behind a post office for a farmer who was just being wiped out by the things, and an old guy walks down to check me out from an adjacent development. He goes back screaming at his wife - "He's just shooting ground-hogs". The next night, I'm set up in the same position - all angles safe, using my old 222 rem with little 3-9 Leupold on it, nothing fancy. So I finish up with another 2 or 3 killed and am already walked back to my car at the edge of the field and packing up when I look up, and there is a county sheriff deputy walking out of the fence row with an AR15. I call to him, asking "Officer, are you looking for me by chance?", and out pops 3 more - all with AR15's pointed at me yelling for me to drop my weapon and walk quickly toward them. They ask me if I have any other weapons on me (had a knife on my belt), they get my id, the one lady cop goes down and checks out my gun, then inspects my car (maybe to see if I was drinking or anything, not sure). But I played along, stayed cool, offered to get the farmer on speed dial for them, showed them the crop damage, the dead ground-hogs, and he handed me my license back and said "You're fine". Went on to say "What we have here is a situation where people from the city are moving into the country, and they don't understand how life is in the country - but... if they stick around long enough, they'll learn." :0) Stand your ground, no pun intended.

wdchuckhuntr, that's an incredible performance - you must really be making short work of them! Keep going. Heck, I'm still only at 31 and I started much earlier than you. Just haven't had the time. Working up a new 40 V-MAX load in my 22hornet though now, so hope to do a little more hunting over the next month. We have beans going in over top of the winter wheat that was just harvested now, and another cutting of hay happening in some places. So time to get out there again!

Guns drawn. Coming at you with AR15's. That would freak me out. Hope that never happens. Guess you just have to be cool, don't be stupid and show you're legit. Any maybe try to educate the city folks along the way.

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntrOriginally Posted By: DogboneThose are some healthy looking chucks! Nice shooting! 11 in one night. I have not seen numbers like that in years!!

Just noticed you're from Bradford County, PA. My daughter-in-law's parents are in Columbia Crossroads. Where are you? "

Coincidentaly...about seven miles north of Columbia Crossroads.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Should try to hunt together if the opportunity arises the next time we visit. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: DogboneWe were just there a couple of weeks ago. Should try to hunt together if the opportunity arises the next time we visit. What do you think?

I don't see why not. Shoot me a PM when you're headed up this way.

Added another one to the tally with the .20 Practical tonight shortly after getting home from work. I took the .17HMR out later and bagged another 4 with that.

A nice male who thought he was safe in the tall grass.

Number four with the .17. A nice 135 yard kill with a decent crosswind.

You guys are really getting into some nice chucks.
Went out late today it started raining hard right after work so by the time it quit it was pretty late I only made it to one fresh cut hay field and spotted one about 247yrds I had the 22-250AI and the 17FB but it was pretty windy so I got out the Ackley, put the crosshairs on his head and let a 75gr Amax loose it took him about two flips over the mound, didn't see anymore and it started to rain again so I called it a short night, I'm going to go back and try it again tomorrow.

IMG_20130719_195344_346_zpsc16287fa.jpg

Figured I would hit the farm in Maryland again yesterday afternoon before the storms hit.
Got there about 5:00 and noticed activity right away. Did not get more than twenty yards from the car when I spotted this one about 160 yards away. Put a 50gr. Nosler in him.

Love the bug eyes look.

huntingpictures294_zps7b3470a6.jpg

I was able to get three more before the rains started. Made it back to the car just in time.

huntingpictures296_zpse8387cda.jpg

huntingpictures297_zps6c1444a3.jpg

huntingpictures295_zps2fff6ced.jpg

My youngest daughter Lakin has been wanting to go out hunting with me so I'm going to take her out this afternoon to a local farm...weather permitting.

Dave

Interesting how the same gun and the same bullet will blow some up, but on others there's no evidence of entry or exit.

Must have something to do with what the bullet hits (bone, muscle, organs) and how fast it's going at the time. I don't know?

Originally Posted By: DogboneInteresting how the same gun and the same bullet will blow some up, but on others there's no evidence of entry or exit.

Must have something to do with what the bullet hits (bone, muscle, organs) and how fast it's going at the time. I don't know?

I'm not sure either. One thing I do know is that the 32gr, and 39gr. Sierra's from my 204 Ruger seem to do more damage than the 50gr. Nosler's out of my 223 AI.

Back