Baiting

Dog Driller, yea, at night I have to use an IR illuminator for the night vision outfit to see. It won't work without one, even on a full moon. But, with an illuminator, it's peachy keen.

Weekender, it sure did tenderize that crow. Turned it every which way but loose. That little .17 Remington is something. I'm very impressed with it. I felt undergunned when I first started using it, but after watching those two coyotes hit the dirt pronto, I have since changed my mind. I only wish I had the DVR to record videos at the time. I can't wait for another yote to show up and get the shot on video.

We can't wait for the DVR to capture a Coyote harvest with the 17 Rem EITHER. As I've said before it's only a matter of time. With your sheer determination and a deer carcass to set the scene it A DONE DEAL

Last edited:
Couple of my best spots are location on brothers lease where they dump pigs they have taken. As well as on the occasion they shoot there trophy there after it is also the gut pile. And it is where the rancher has taken dead cows and calf's for years. So the coyotes know that area is usually a great spot for a easy meal. It is a large lease and no body hunts that area. So when I make a trip with them I don't even bother calling that location just sit and wait. It has proven to be a trusty spot for a easy kill. I also do a little rabbit hunting every year around my place. I use the left overs to bait out a spot that I do not call. As well as boar hogs that are shot. Take them to the same place. Works really well. I enjoy nothing more than calling, but some of my spots I do not call until after deer season. So I rely on gut piles and what not for yote shooting.

Ad63, I noticed the same thing when hunting in New Mexico in 2011, that a rancher would take all the dead cattle to one particular area, a bowl-shaped area. Coyotes hung around that area at night and we saw several sets of eyes at that place. No doubt they visited during the day time too. They do learn where the food is. I often thought it would be neat to hunt such a place from a blind, maybe even do some night vision shooting.

I'm like you in that I really enjoy calling, but I have learned to operate a bait site rather efficiently in order to be productive here where I live. For one thing, I have lost a lot of ground to calling (posted etc.), as well as the fact that we don't have a huge population of coyotes. On top of that, the mountainous terrain here doesn't always make for the best calling setup. While I really enjoy calling, it isn't as productive as my bait site is.

Got a question for you guys. Does Chamberlin still make the driveway alarms that some members here use over bait? I have an old link that a member here sent me but it says the Chamberlin is no longer available. Maybe just out of stock?

Thanks

like the pics especially the moose -- to funny,

activity here has quieted .. I know it will pick up soon fresh bait and the temps are cold.

6mm06, ordered a Mueller scope 2-7X32 multi shot from amazon $135.00 free shipping... I can't wait to get it.

I shot this beautiful female this morning from my bait pile. Hopfuly more to come.

It seems like the pressure from hunting over bait all year and trapping maybe catching up with the coyotes as the populations are lower then I have seen them in many many years. Very little sign around at all.

I'm going to guess that photo is a moose. Nice photos.

Dog Driller, good luck with the Mueller. Keep us posted how it goes.

Scalloper, same here. Little to no coyotes. I have taken 8 at my bait site, but that's been over the course of the last two seasons. My last one was September 24th. Since then I've only seen one coyote, one night. He took the rib cage and carried it off. Haven't seen him or any other yotes since. It's been two months and only one coyote on the cameras. Nice looking coyote in the photo.

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223Duckstopper, in your last picture what is that? We don't have anything that looks like that here in SC. That I have ever seen.
Fisher

Scalloper is right, it's a Fisher. They are a major problem on a bait pile because they'll carry off all your bait. I tied (using electrical ties) 3 duck carcasses to a log at the site in the picture, but noticed my camera batteries were low. Came back the next day, 19 pictures of a Fisher stealing all the carcasses.

Crazy me. I didn't read it right. I thought it was the "legs" photo you were talking about.

Is that next-to-the-last photo a moose or what?

I have a question here. I just got a couple elk carcasses and a few heads and scraps from a local butcher and was going to split it up and put some at about 5 or 6 different spots that I know there are coyotes. But then I started thinking that if they are eating the elk then they wont be hungry enough to come into my call. So what would you rather do? Hunt it over bait or just calling or would it be possible to do both?

well filled my deer tags so going to go tomorrow morning and put out some fresh turkey scraps, grease from the turkey and grease from a ham at the same spot that i cleaned the deer and then dumped the scrap. Hunted it for the first week of muzzle loading and knew that a pack of coyote was in the area since i had heard them. Property owner said they run around in his yard and make a lot of noise barking etc. at night. Only thing is they may be there today and he said he would not hear them again for a week. I saw a nice one when i was deer hunting but let it walk. Seems like a pack of about 5 or 6 according to the property owner. Since they seem to roam a larger area around his property i thought that dumping some scrap and grease and try to bring them in would be a good way to increase the odds. Deer hunters in the woods around me so dont want to do a lot of calling and ruin there hunt for deer. Friend told me to pour the grease all of some stumps etc. and then spread the scrap meat and bury some of it as well as some left over bacon grease was the best way. Any thoughts? I shot the last buck last Wendsday afternoon and then this past Tuesday i hung a zip lock bag full of bacon grease from a tree limb too high for coyote to get to and punched holes in it so it would drip slowly on the ground and the scent would spread. Thinking maybe this was why he heard them go so crazy last night in his back yard. Hoping to see them tomorrow afternoon and night. Temp will be about 20 degrees tomorrow night so going to stay until the old bones get too cold to stand it. Any thoughts on should i bury the grease or hang it like i did the bacon grease. Thanks

We use deer,beaver,beef and road kill on our bait piles. I like a big pile so every time they come in they can eat. I never use less then a 5gal bucket full and at times a 55 gal drum during freezing times. Its normal for coyotes to cover large areas but if the feed is there they will hang out for afew days. To date the last 3 years I have shot 35 coyotes on a bait thats 71 yds from my home. Hope this helps

I just returned from my bait site. Shot a skunk in the head with a 70 grain tnt @ 50 yards. Had my hunter alert going off in my blind, but I couldn't see anything. After 3 hours I decided that an early quit was called for to repair sensor. Low and behold, the detector WAS working after all! My first kill with my new douglas barrel. The buzzards around here usually make quick work of the skunks. i was going to check out my picks on the trail cam, but the skunk was about 6 foot from it!
smile.gif

Well, finally I had a coyote show up at the bait site two nights ago. So, I stayed at the cabin last night in hopes of it returning. It was a quiet night. I don't think even a mouse stirred. These coyotes here are so darn unpredictable. This season is beginning to look like last year - a coyote would show up, take the bait, have plenty to eat, and then not return for maybe two weeks or a month.

This morning the crows were at it again, so I popped yet another one and got the shot on video. I edited (combined) the last crow and this morning's. Here's the video. Today's crow is the second one shot.

Click the photo to view the video.

I'm really wanting a coyote shot on video. Maybe it will happen soon, but for now it sure is slow.

Back