Baiting

I really enjoy reading about others that enjoy baiting coyotes. Me and a couple friends started baiting several years ago and it seems like I am the last one in the bunch to continue. I really enjoy this type of hunting. I do like calling but this seems much more relaxing, and it doesnt hurt its more productive on these PA coyotes. This pic is from my best night on jan 28/29. This year so far we have killed 9 off the pile and had a few misses. In the last 2 years alone killed 20 off this pile with several doubles and one triple. This year we have really seen it slow down as of late. Next year I will have another pile going to bounce back and forth to. We are now trying to figure out a way to hunt the pile with out snow. Snow covered nights are the only nights I/we hunt. We just haven't had much luck running lights over bait. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Pmack, I'm not sure if the new units will accept an antenna or not. I assume it can be done but I don't have the expertise to do it.

JK, nice job on the coyotes.

Well, one of these coyotes or maybe both really had me earn them. I'm just glad I decided to stay at the cabin last night. One or both of these coyotes have been hitting the bait for a while, but they were one-night-standers in that they would visit the site one night and then be gone until who knows when. That had me spending a lot of time by staying at the cabin numerous nights without any action. Last night it finally came together though I didn't expect two.

I was shooting the Dtech 6x45 with 70 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings. Both dropped where they stood and didn't take a step. The bullets did exit both however, but the exit was so small that I had to dig in the fur and look hard to find it. The exit was more like a 20 caliber size in the second coyote, and the first one was something like a 22 caliber or 6mm size hole. Not sure what the bullets did or what part exited, but they sounded loose inside. If I were saving fur, this bullet would be a good one - from these two at least.

The first coyote came slightly before 0100 but wouldn't commit to the bait site. I lit it up first with the 940nm spotlight to see what was there. I then turned on my DVR and then I then deployed the 850nm light mounted on my rifle. The coyote walked out away from the bait site and was going up hill, when suddenly it jumped and ran the other way. Something scared it. I figured I had better take the shot while I could for fear it might not return. There was a slight white-out when I shot. Unbeknown to me at the time, the second coyote ran across in the upper view of the sight picture, but can barely be seen so I didn't notice it until later when I reviewed the video.

The second coyote returned just before 0520 and tripped the sensor, but it left and when I used the 850nm light to search for it, I found it was near the dead one in the field. It then ran up the hill and out of sight over the ridge top above my cabin, but I kept watching the hill top and suddenly it returned. That's when I downed it.

The first coyote was 80 yards and the second was 66. Both were males to my surprise, and rather large. I figured all the time that they were a mated pair, maybe even the dominate ones in the area, but when I checked them this morning I was surprised to see that both were males. That's probably why the first one was so nervous. The first coyote weighed in at 34 pounds and the second one was only slightly heavier with 34 pounds, 5 ounces.

The first two photos are of the first coyote, an 80 yard shot.

The next three photos are of the second one at 66 yards.

This view is of the two coyotes and where they fell in relation to each other and the cabin. The 4-wheeler is at the second coyote.

Here's the pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2hoF3utRk&feature=youtu.be

That's mighty nice work 6, and pretty coyotes as well. Congratulations and I know how hard you've worked to keep that bait site going even when it wasn't very productive. Bait site doubles are hard to come by.

We called tonight on a place where we've had some luck in the past and I got a call early in the week that a guy I know saw 5 crossing the field about 3 in the morning when he was riding home from fishing.

No coyotes tonight, but we did call out a big bobcat early in the set. He got a pass.

After I got home, I remembered that I had not turned the alarm on for the bait pile, so I went back into the office to turn the alarm on. I always open the window quietly before doing that to scan the field for anything out there. When I first got home, I had gone to the back of my shop and made a few practice howls on my 2 reed competition howler diaphragm that sounded really good. I think if there are coyotes anywhere within hearing distance there is a good chance they will come later to investigate. Anyway when I looked out there was a coyote in the field. I waited for her (estrus female) to come to the bait pile and gave her a piece of hot lead. She was on the back side of the mound surrounding my pond, so the video isn't quite as good, but you can see she was DRT. I'm really loving that 50 vmax in the 223. Here is the video.

Last edited:

DolubleUp, you just keep on rockin'. Nice job and great video - very clear.

Pmack, good to hear about the sensor. Hope it works soon and you can put some yotes on the ground.

Congrats to jk with a PILE and to 6mm06 with a double, then there is doubleup with ANOTHER one. You guys are giving me a complex lol. Impressive. Thanks for the videos too.

Missed shots are always humbling, Gobbler, and sometimes embarrassing. LOL. We've all been there.

Nice going on the coon.

Nice work 6mm, DU, great video's. moved from Michigan to Florida for the winter months so winter hunting is a thing of the past for now. rules were changed in MIch. so when I go home for the summer I can get out some to hunt. Would be nice to find a local person that hunts down here to hunt with. From my hunting partner in Michigan the last 3 day predator hunt only resulted in 7 coyotes from 16 teams hunting. Buddy sent a text the other day from my favorite hunting spot on the ice of the backwaters of the local dam, not a track on it. Coyotes seem to be down some from the correspondents from friends, not sure if the growing wolf population is having an effect on them or not.

Story of my baiting season, it's always something. Last Friday I get coyote on trail cam,
tt1.gif
only second of the season. Saturday morning wife leaves for Florida till Thursday
thumbup.gif
so I figure it's now time. After 4 nights of no coyote
angry.gif
but 3-4 alarms from fox, coons and owls I turn it off Wednesday for some sleep. It's off Thursday because wife's back and no coyote has returned. This morning carcass is dragged 20 feet away and hammered. Continuing with "Murphys Baiting Season" as I have now named it, my trail cam batteries are low so no flash and only daytime pics.
cursing.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackStory of my baiting season, it's always something. Last Friday I get coyote on trail cam,
tt1.gif
only second of the season. Saturday morning wife leaves for Florida till Thursday
thumbup.gif
so I figure it's now time. After 4 nights of no coyote
angry.gif
but 3-4 alarms from fox, coons and owls I turn it off Wednesday for some sleep. It's off Thursday because wife's back and no coyote has returned. This morning carcass is dragged 20 feet away and hammered. Continuing with "Murphys Baiting Season" as I have now named it, my trail cam batteries are low so no flash and only daytime pics.
cursing.gif

I just ain't as easy as "fish in a barrel". They cleaned mine out when I had to work out of town for a few days, starting over.

Bait hunting is not easy given the amount of time spent refreshing bait, checking cameras etc. Then there's the odd coyotes that will hit the bait one night, get a good supper and then not return until who knows when. One-night-standers are difficult to hunt. For me, I have to stay the night at the cabin on the farm one mile away from home and hope for a return visit. All too often it doesn't come, so a lot of time spent in trying. But, when it happens it's good.

Back