Baiting

The heat from the suppressor shows a little brighter place on the bottom edge of the screen, and of course it gits brighter with each shot. Also when the rifle fires there a momentary hot flash from the ignition of the powder charge and bullet as they exit the suppressor.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't find anything on my calling stand tonight, but maybe the male will make an appearance here at the bait pile.

Thank you wildflights. Yes, it was a near miss. Had I not been shooting suppressed, I'm sure she would not have stopped within range.

About 10:30 tonight the male came back. He didn't get two shots. I'll post the video tomorrow. Here he is.

#35 by Double Up, on Flickr

So I'm not sure this is OK here but wanted to share.

I have mice chewing up the honey combs in my hive. Last night they were really active. While doing a quick scan I saw this little bugger running in and out of the hive. Thought I'd give it a shot.

They sure bounce around a lot and I didn't want to put a round through the hive.

77 yards. 243 with 55 gr Sierra BK. Head shot, a little surprised by the lack of damage. A guy could eat right up to the bullet hole.

7B04V6C.jpg

https://vimeo.com/675385901

Last edited:

Wildflights, that was a great shot at that distance, and with a 243. Was a little humorous given his bouncy nature. They don’t stand still for very long.

I had a barrel of fun shooting rats at the chicken coop with a Ruger 10/22 and thermal.

Rats in the coop could be a fun shoot. I have some LARGE rats at the shop down by the piers. The kind that make standard snap traps ineffective.

I finally caught up to this possum eating on my carcass pile last night. He wouldn't go in the cage traps and would bolt if I hit him with white light. He's much darker than the other possums around here (fur has frost on it in the pics) and I've been extra careful not to miss id him with one of our barn cats.

Odd performance. This is the first possum that I've shot with the 243 & 55 gr SBK where it didn't look like an industrial accident. Hit the shoulder, no exit, must have been quartering towards the gun.

FWIW- I cycle through the Pulsar color settings at the end of the video.

https://vimeo.com/676517436

FP3WfiX.jpg

zousI5z.jpg

Last edited:

Have you tried a Conibear trap for possums. I control them with a 220 size trap. Made a cubby as prescribed by state law to use above ground, and placed the trap back in it. Have caught probably close to 40 in the last 2 seasons or less.

Going to call it a season here. Baitpile @ 175 yards pretty well dried up now. Had 2 final visitors last night/this morning. Pepe was around 10:30pm. Nice male coyote came in at 3:30am. 22-204ai 53 vmax for both.

[img:right][/img]

[img:left]http://[/img]

@tj66 Nice way to wrap up a season! Thinning skunks is right up there with thinning the coyotes out!

@6mm06 In WA we are unable to use footholds or conibears without an ADC (animal damage control) permit issued by F&G. I have a dozen shiny new 120's for when I get back to the farm in ND intended for skunks. Would like to thin out the stinky nest raiders and I've heard that a 120 has a fair chance at preserving the quill in an undispersed form
smile.gif

How often do they spray when hit with a 220?

Last edited:
Back