Baiting

That first track looks like a small bobcat,The third one is a skunk The middle one is odd. It is not a red fox because the rear pad is to wide and deep.It almost looks like a fox track that a bobcat stepped into.cats walk track for track in their own trails. what looks like a single cat track could actually have been run many times. once you figure this out you will trap many cats simply by setting that track.Problem with the idea that a cat stepped track for track with a fox is that cat has a heavy stagger to its stride.I would guess its a large grey fox as that is what it most resembles.Ive got 49 years trapping experience and 28 years as a full time Taxidermist.If I see a track in person its usually easy but occasionally its a puzzle.

A couple of answers for you 6mm06

These Tundras are very narrow for a reason. Yes, they are quite tippy. You have to drive them instead of just riding them. The narrower the better when picking your way through a deer yard or an old chopping with rocks, stumps and blowdowns.They have rubrails down the sides of the cowling so you can rub right along a tree and not damage the fiberglass cowl that cover the engine and clutches.Some guys who hunt in more open country have put widening kits on their sleds for more stability.
You would be some surprised to see just where a snowmobile can go with a good driver on it. Newer tracks with deeper lugs or paddles just adds to where a sled can go these days.
My ATV is a Can Am 500cc V Twin. It will handle tracks just fine and so will any one of them with alteast that many cubic inches. I did try a 400 cc Arctic cat with tracks that was underpowered for the amount of snow I was in.

Thanks guys for the information about the machines and tracks. As I say, I don't know beans about these type of machines, and just trying to learn a bit.

Got another one last night...
Chamberlain alarm went off at 7:30 pm, caught me by surprise. By the time I got the gun out of the safe, set up and looked thru the night vision, he was on the move already. Teased me with a couple of very quit hit and runs but never gave any decent shot opportunity so I held off.

Had another alarm trip at 1:15 am, was all ready this time and dropped him right there at 100 yds.

yote212_zpsed80cf76.jpg

I'm in the middle of dropping a new Timney trigger in to the 300 blk, but the 223 did the deed just fine as my standby. Lovin' that Chamberlain alarm setup AND the new PVS-14. this was a dark, cloudy night - no moon at all - and absolutely no trouble seeing this one at 100, shot was a piece of cake though I did turn on the IR on low power.

Lefty, that's great. He never knew what hit him.

Good to hear the alarm is working well for you.

Did you need the IR or could you have made the shot without it?

What magnification was your day-time scope set on?

I could see pretty well without the IR, actually more contrast with it off. Could have gone either way, I guess, but only because of the snow on the ground. I went back and forth a few times, def brighter image with IR turned on, but the yote was very light in color - a little harder to pick up against the background. IR is way more fun though since it puts fire in the eyes.

Day scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40, dialed down to 6X. Without the snow, would probably be around 5X.

here are a couple pics of me going across a snow bank with my wheeler with tracks. they do slow the machine down some but for hunting you can go any where with them. the ones i have are 4seasons so you dont have to worry about rocks or anything. these pics are from a couple years ago i will have to get some new one some time. i think they are a great set up for hunting.
DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

0121111519a.jpg

Wow!! That's a great looking machine. Looks like it would just about climb a tree, and no doubt that steep hillside on my family farm.

We don't always get a lot of snow here, 12" being the most this year, but when it snows, getting about on the farm is sometimes tough going.

What about using these tracks on bare ground, any problem with that?

Have any of you used the Dakota alarms? They seem to be long range but couldnt find any reviews. which chamberlin or dakota alarm would you recomend for 120 yd.or more?

Not familiar with the Dakotas. I bought my Chamberlain setup at Lowe's. It is the model #CWA2000, comes with receiver and one sensor for around 60 bucks. I got an additional sensor which really helps pick up animals at the edges before they get to the bait. Mine has no trouble sending at 100 yards, even picks up squirrels. Should be fine for 120 - 150 yds.

i have not had my tracks out on the bare ground much but i think they will do fine. The only thing i think they are not so good at is big slippery rocks where a tire can grip a little better. they do not ride as smoth as a tire because the have no give to them like a tire but you can climb some steep banks with them how they make the machine longer and wider.
here is a little clip of a ride i took today.

That's a pretty neat video, Preddhunter. I imagine those tracks really make a difference when the going gets tough.

Thanks for posting that. It's very interesting.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I'm wondering how Scalloper is holding up in all that snow. If you are there, let us hear from you. You guys apparently really got a good one this time.

Its been tough for sure. I have put in many hours and only have shot 3 so far. I did see a very large bob cat on the first outing but no shot offered. Dealing with the snow moving the shooting shack keeping the bait pile baited burns up a lot of time. Definatly a challange for sure. But I must say the shooting shack is very comfortable and very warm. I have stayed out a few days/nights for upto 22 hrs with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Uncle MikeI do not have a pic of my buddies rig but here is one of my fathers Honda with a Canadian brand of tracks.He paid over $3000 (US Funds) for these.
dadstoys005.jpg

IMO a snowmobile is the way to go here. So much faster and they tend to float over the snow, for the most part rather than a heavier ATV. Don`t get me wrong, a tracked ATV is a helluva machine but snowmobiles are better suited for how we hunt in the deeper snow. We use Ski doo Tundras. They are fairly light and very maneuverable although the heavier, longer wider tracked sleds also have a purpose.
Yotehunting09.jpg

yotehunting09-1.jpg

ahoundhunt09011.jpg

2X I had the tracks on my Honda and its not for me. To slow and they steer very hard. I sence bought a Bear Cat 570 XT with a 22" wide track and 8" skis it floats on powder. I only have 600 miles on it but seems to go about anywhere. The Tundras are very nice as well

Well, finally last night I had a coyote hit the bait (calf). That's the first and the calf has been out quite a while.

I'm hoping the coyote returns tonight and gets further acquainted with the calf and less nervous. Tomorrow night there's an 80 percent chance of rain, and Tuesday night looks clear and down to the lower 20s, so I plan to hunt Tuesday night and hope the coyote returns.

Click on the photos to view the videos. I had two cameras at different angles.

Glad to see you finally getting some activity, 6mm. Should be just a matter of time now.

My bait has been very quiet since I took out the last one. Did have a 10 second midnight appearance last Wednesday, but hasn't been back since. I'm going to try doing some howling for the next few nights to see if any are in the area.

Mr. C. was back last night, early around 7:32 PM. It stayed at the calf until shortly after 8:00 PM when it managed to free a leg and carried it off. It returned to the calf around 1:07 AM.

I had planned to hunt tomorrow night since we are supposed to get rain after midnight tonight, plus breezy with winds from 15-25 mph. Not a good night to hunt, but I'm thinking of giving it a try anyway. I'm afraid the coyote will get all the calf before I have a chance to hunt. I'm also down with a bad cough and have to clear my throat often, so was waiting for a couple of days. But, as of right now I'm thinking of hunting tonight.

Click on the photos to see video.

That darn coyote came up to one of my cameras and sensor that I have mounted
low on a stake. He moved both. The sensor was turned somewhat sideways and
the camera had been repositioned to where it barely got any more footage of the
coyote last night. That is definitely a first. My scent was on the camera from
yesterday when I checked it.

Watch this clip all the way through. It's blank to over half way, then the coyote comes up.

Well the dry spell is finally over for me. I was gone for the weekend and of course it got very cold. below zero and the coyotes went nuts at all of the bait sites, got a call from one of the property owners that the coyotes were there mid morning so when we got home yesterday I told my wife I was going to sit over the one bait thats close to home. When I got there all the bait was gone, nothing left at all. I had my caller with me so I thought I would at least give that a try. I called two in and was lucky enough to get this female.
Firstcoyote2013003_zps1e6f8e6c.jpg

Firstcoyote2013002_zps44b34029.jpg

All Right DannyK!! Nice going. Maybe things will begin to look up for us. It sure has been a slow winter here.

I'm going to stay at the cabin tonight in hopes of getting that one. If I get it early, I will probably come home since it's supposed to get really nasty after midnight.

6mm06, glad to see you get some action -- hope you get it - nice looking dog.

danny k, nice going -- what is the gun you used ar? caliber?

i have not had much action, although i know they are around by the tracks. i have been using baitsicles to supplement the bait i have. they love them -- they don't just eat them -- they steal them. I normally have put baitsicles out with a rope or cable froze down in the bait. the last 2 i put out get a couple nights action and then the whole thing disappears. i have one ready to go out --dry dog food meat trimmings, bacon fat. along with a garage door cable in the middle. that should slow them down. wind has been howling 30-40 mph and sub zero for 2 days solid -- not the kind of weather i want to go calling in.

Back