Baiting

Early this morning coyote #2 fell to the 6mm ARC, or rather I should say it ran like a scalded cat and then fell - about 75 yards away. I shot slightly back, making a gut shot. Bullet (Sierra 70 gr. Blitz King) did not exit once again. I will attach the video later once uploaded.

At the shot the coyote, a young male, 2-pointer, ran down the hill to the right, so this morning I searched a big area, riding the 4-wheeler along the tractor roads, searching hillsides here and there to no avail. I then looked up in the hay field and still no coyote. I was beginning to think he got away, and as I was leaving I decided to go up the field / tree line and circle up in the hay field. There he lay, probably 75 yards or so from the bait site. I figured a wounded coyote would most likely run down hill, and he did initially but then turned and went up the hillside. I came close to losing this one.

IMG_8759.jpeg


IMG_8769.jpeg


IMG_8766.jpeg


IMG_8770.jpeg


IMG_8771.jpeg


IMG_8773.jpeg
 
Last edited:
You are starting out with a "bang" 6. VERY GOOD! When I can't find runners the next day, I have had reasonable luck on day 2 or 3 looking to the sky-those buzzards can even find them in the thickets and woods.
 
And so it begins....was a clear half-moon out last night. This fella has been taunting the neighborhood for a couple of months now, but very non-committal to the bait pile with any kind of regularity. About a week ago I changed the bait from Ol' Roy complete meal to Ol' Roy bacon and T-bone flavored variety and he was coming in every night. Must have liked the flavor. Not anymore. Suppressed Tikka 308 running 110gr BT did the job very quickly. Scope is Bolt TX60D. Very pleased with the setup. Noticed he had quite a gash on his left rear leg that wasn't healing up too well. This was about a 5-minute hunt. Got set-up just in time, and he was skirting the area within a couple of minutes back in the wood line. Wanted to wait till he came out in the open more but when he turned straight on I sent the shot. Distance was about 60 yards.

Video




YOTE 081926C.jpg
 
Gotta love the .308; not the best if you save fur, but it puts 'em down w/authority. My Savage likes the 125 BT but the BAR prefers the 110 Armagheddons. Coyotes don't like either one.
 
Last night the 6mm ARC struck again. I had been staying at the shack for a few nights just for the fun of it, and hoping a coyote might show up. I hadn't seen one since the last kill on the 10th. Guess I got lucky. I squeezed the trigger at 0010. He was moving away slightly and I took the shot, hitting a little far back but dropping him all the same. The Blitz King performed well and as usual did not exit. Distance was about 70 yards.

01.jpeg


02.jpeg


 
Thanks, JM. HM, reports I have seen say we are in for a tough winter. I have hunted in tough weather before but surely don’t enjoy it. I have stayed at the shack with temps down to low teens and rested pretty good. As well, February with cold temps and snow is generally my best month, and March.
 
Back
Top