Barrel Break In???? Myth or Fact?

I do a simple break in clean after each shoot for the first 3 the do 3 groups of 5 clean after each group then just start shooting

Thanks everyone for your comments! I think this topic was a pretty good one and we can see most of the hype on doing a "barrel breakin" sounds to be a ploy to get us to shoot out our barrels faster!

VolCrew, Thanks for posting the article link... Great article and well researched...and presentation..

Since it hit the market, I've been a big fan of the foaming bore cleaner... It's cleaned a lot of gunk of both kinds out of my barrels... I also believe is following up the cleaning with some CorrosionX on a clean patch...Using Kroil is about same effect for keeping the steel lubricated...

I've used manufacturer's suggestions on barrel breakin before as well as shot barrels without doing it and find little, if any difference in the accuracy...Inaccurate barrels don't seem to gain much and neither do accurate barrels...

Now, I will shoot quite a few rounds down range, watching the heat up conditions, soak them in the foaming bore cleaner over night and go back to shooting them with no negative effects...My really accurate barrels clean up easily and the others just take a few more patches..

Originally Posted By: VolCrew
Coincidently, I was just reading a very good thread on this subject entitled "Objective Research on Barrel Break-in Procedures"

He kind of missed the mark on that one didn't? If it has no value why would the custom manufactures hand lap the bores? I also thought he missed the point of what the clean after the shot was doing. It appears he thought it was the cleaning the "lapped" the bore, missing the point by a great margin. The point of cleaning after each shot is to give the next bullet access to the bore, not copper so it too can act on the bore. That is why that proceedure is much slower and does less than hand lapping the bore.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeOriginally Posted By: nmleonQuote:What do the "experts" recommend so the average Joe doesn't screw things up with his ignorance in cleaning his rifle.

Always use the proper bore guide.

Always use a one piece rod that spins freely.

Always (when possible) clean from the breach.

Never use a brass brush or jag when using a copper solvent (what's brass made of..DUH).

Be careful when using different solvents, some don't mix well.

Don't let your jag or brush come out of the muzzle.
Don't overclean. Let your rifle tell you when it needs to be cleaned.

"A dirty barrel is a happy barrel." Mark Spicer-SAS sniper and instructor (ret), author of British army's marksmanship manual (and other "sniper books").

Do you push a jag with a patch in and back again without taking the patch off??? I was always told to pull the patch off, then pull the rod back through.

I was also under the impression you shouldn't pull a brush back through without pushing it all the way out, otherwise the brissels stay canted back when you pull it back through, this can cause them to wear uneven and in some cases break...?

I ask because I wish to find the correct answer, not to try and discredit your methods.

I'd also like to hear the answer to this - or did I miss it?

You push it all the way thru, mostly so you don't reverse the direction of the crap you removed or embed it further. You can also drop all crud in the action if you reverse it. I've been told reversing the brass brush sometimes causes the rod to flex and make contact with teh rifling.

To me they all sound like things I didn't want to have happen.
smile.gif

They also tell you not to use plastic coated rods or carbon fiber rods because they can pick up bits of metal that might come loose, or that might be laying on the bench. The theory is you scratch the barrel from that point forward ever time you clean the gun. Don't know.

Back