Barrel break in??

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleBore Snakes are fine for swabbing out a currently hot barrel at either a Prairie Dog town or another type of high round count shooting situation, but don't depend on one to get a bore actually "Clean" on a routine maintenance schedule....

When I was shooting some action competitions where the round count might be 40-60 rounds per stage, as fast as I could locate the targets and squeeze off the shot, I would bore snake the barrel between stages, just to cut down the debris build up in the chamber and throat, but it did little to clean the really cooked on powder and metal residue...That needs to be removed chemically and with some real elbow work...

If you want to really inspect the barrel condition, you need to acquire one of the Hawkeye Bore Scopes with the 90* eye piece...

Otherwise, you are just guessing...While they are more than some want to spend ($1250+/-), I figure that what I have invested in firearms, it's worth knowing....Shortly after I got mine, I found a potentially dangerous stress crack in the sniper barrel on my .308, so IMHO, it was a good investment..

I agree, a borescope is a must, even though I don't have one... Have you seen Lymans new Digital Borescope with the monitor for just a tad over 300.00 Think I'm going to test it out.

Back