Boyds gunstocks problems?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiXW,

I would have cancelled my order at that point. I would not have apologized either. Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiXW,

I would have cancelled my order at that point. I would not have apologized either.

X2!!!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rX
I have 3 other guns that I am restocking this year and wanted to try one first and then do the rest.

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rXLet me start by saying that I think the Boyds' stocks are some of the best looking, well crafted stocks out there and couldn't be happier with the one I currently have.

sumthin wrong here

Nothing wrong there. My first stock by them is on my .17hmr. Came that way, so my first one would be me buying it and installing it.

Over the past 15 years, I have gotten half a dozen stocks from
them without a glitch until last year when ordering a Prairie
Hunter and adding a recoil pad. Something got mixed up in the
order and it was not received when they said it would. A phone
call and a few pleasantries got the ball rolling. A couple
weeks later I got a call from Jen asking if I had ordered two
stocks. Well, no. Didn't think so and was checking up on it.
She sent out one, and some happy customer did not have any
waiting time to get a PH stock with recoil pad!

Sometimes crazy things can happen, and I understand that.
Neither of us got upset and just worked through it.

Boyd's is a first class operation. Friends and I have ordered a dozen stocks(at least)without a problem.

Life is life, crap happens. When a human element is involved, we are subject to????

Misunderstandings happen easily.

All I am saying is to give Boyd's a chance, I think that you will be more than happy.

Yep,yep, yep!! May have been one of those women days/weeks/months!
Boyd's been around to long for shoddy products and CS. JMO

Last edited:
I got one from them a couple of years ago and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever paid for .It was suppose to be drop in and I had to take it to a gunsmith because none of the hole matched my gun. I sent it back with a drawing of where all the holes should be and they sent it back saying the stock was to there specs and nothing was wrong. I'll never order from them again.

Im definitely not trying to write off Boyds as a bad company, or one that makes junk. I think they make great products and I remain optimistic about ordering more in the future. Maybe this was just a bad day for her, or busy last few weeks and Ive been slipping through the cracks.

Either way, my point was, and still is, that their "customer service" is the problem for me. They act like they dont care if they lose the business of one man. Well if thats the case, then Ill keep my hard earned money and use it places where they value my business.

I've had nothing but good dealings with them. But I wouldn't put it past them. Stockys is the only people I'll never return to. I called asking about a stock and proceeded to get the bitchiest woman I've ever dealt with. Zero customer care and would have been better off running a prison kitchen.

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rXIm definitely not trying to write off Boyds as a bad company, or one that makes junk. I think they make great products and I remain optimistic about ordering more in the future. Maybe this was just a bad day for her, or busy last few weeks and Ive been slipping through the cracks.

Either way, my point was, and still is, that their "customer service" is the problem for me. They act like they dont care if they lose the business of one man. Well if thats the case, then Ill keep my hard earned money and use it places where they value my business.

One isolated incident should not define the entire company.

OK, I am not impressed. The UPS guy just dropped off a Boyds
rough sanded stock for a JC Higgins 101.16/Stevens 87A/Savage 6A,
and the emphasis in on rough. As in the corner above the
pistol grip isn't even symmetrical, and the butt plate sides
look like they just came off the belt sander. And to top
if off, they couldn't even make it out of a blank of all
heartwood. I have a nice little section of sapwood(blonde
colored wood) around the ejection port/side safety cut out.
I can't say I won't buy another Boyds, as in some cases they
are the only option, but my expectations will definitely
be lowered.

I had no contact with customer service. And since the
original plastic stock broke at the pistol grip, I will make
do with this wooden replacement. I don't want to wait
for a replacement. I could have lived with the "rough"
sanding, but two toned walnut(sapwood) should never have
been shipped.

Squeeze

Note to self. When dealing with Boyds contact Jen. Since this thread has started she has responded to several PMs regarding a question I had about availibility and has been nothing but very cordial. Obviously the OP did not deal with her.

Good grief!
Didn't Boyds reply to this thread and offer to do whatever it took to make this right if you'd simply PM them with the info.

Oh,,, wait,,,, here it is.

Originally Posted By: Boyds' GunstocksPlease send us a PM including your name, order #, phone #, and email address. I would be happy to personally look into this on Monday morning and see if we can find some sort of resolution. I apologize for the customer service you feel you received and look forward to making this a better buying experience for you!

Best Regards ~ Jen

Have you done so? Did they not reply, tell you to pound sand, or say they didn't give a rip about your business?
If not, stop whining and give em a chance for crying out loud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tugboaterOriginally Posted By: CoyotejunkiXW,

I would have cancelled my order at that point. I would not have apologized either. Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiXW,

I would have cancelled my order at that point. I would not have apologized either.

X2!!!

Agreed ^
But I wouldn't have pitched a public b--ch on the internet either.
Cancel the order, deny any charges that "might" have showed up on my card, and move on.
The end.

Originally Posted By: RePeteGood grief!
Didn't Boyds reply to this thread and offer to do whatever it took to make this right if you'd simply PM them with the info.

Oh,,, wait,,,, here it is.

Originally Posted By: Boyds' GunstocksPlease send us a PM including your name, order #, phone #, and email address. I would be happy to personally look into this on Monday morning and see if we can find some sort of resolution. I apologize for the customer service you feel you received and look forward to making this a better buying experience for you!

Best Regards ~ Jen

Have you done so? Did they not reply, tell you to pound sand, or say they didn't give a rip about your business?
If not, stop whining and give em a chance for crying out loud.

Glad you said it but you are not alone thinking it.

I have purchased two of their stocks and have been satisfied thus far. I have a Howa in the Hogue over molded stock that I want to put into a real stock. When I get around to it it will be from Boyds. The last Walnut stock I bought looks like if I were to add a few coats of Tru-oil to it or strip it and re-stain it it would bring out the figure really well. Of course I still need to have the action barreled to go into the stock first.

Well, at least boyds didn't get PM to remove this topic. I once got some tech sights that were machined wrong, wouldn't even clamp to the rail. The replacement was lopsided and also not machined right. I posted my experience at rimfirecentral and because they are a sponsor they asked it be removed and so it was. So anyone who searches for reviews on their product is get only positive reviews because they pay to have the bad reviews removed! Or some other companies actually get in a pissing match in a forum with a customer. The correct response is always I am sorry sir, let us make your order right and please accept a hat or t shirt for your troubles. Yeah, they might eat it on one order. Then that person goes online and says how wonderful their customer service was and 10 more people place orders. That is how I always conducted my buisness as a plumbing contractor. A little above and beyond and next thing you know their friends and family are calling.

Think you hit it on the head TripleDuece660. A little CS goes along way. Think Boyd's are doing right, now its up to the OP. Put up or Shut up!!

I wanted to update the post. I did speak with Boyds and we were able to come to a common ground on the order and the service. I took note to the off the hip responses assuming I was whining or an [beeep] to them, which was obviously not true.

They did admit that they had some problems as of recently with communication with not only the production line, but also with getting back to me. I apologized for having to resort to getting their attention online, but after 4 different phone calls over several days to the company and voicemails with no call backs, I had to get in touch with them some how.

With that all in the past, I do feel its only right to update the negative post. They finally stood up and rectified the situation and I am happy with the solution. They even upgraded the stock to 2 day shipping to more closely try to meet a deadline that was missed.

The stock arrived as they predicted in 2 days and it took 10 minutes to get the old stock off, and this one on. It was completely inletted and I had to make zero adjustments to it.

In the end, Im glad it was resolved and Im glad Boyds stepped up to try to make everyone happy.

Back