Can i shoot a Bobcat with a .22??

robertdutton

Hi I am living in kansas and i am 14 years of age. I live outside town on a small farm, i guess more like a greenhouse, with 34 acre feild behind our house. We use to have a cat and 9 chickens. But now we have 0 cats and 8 chickens. Me and my dad think that it is a bobcat and wish to get rid of it. i was wondering how to hunt them and if i could use my semi-auto .22 or my 16 gauge. Also tips on what calls to use and hunting stategies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hunt,Fish,Live
I am an OutdoorsMAN

Either will kill them. The .22 you'll haev to be a lot better shot. If spot lighting is legal, I would try at night to call him up using a bird sitress. Maybe a rabbit distress. Find a good area, where you think he may habitate, such as the woods, or a river nearby. He prolly dont live in your chicken coop. Alot of people are going to say the .22 isnt enough, but a shot to the head or heart area will do. if you're going with your dad, I'd have him hold the .22 and you with the .16 guage. #2's or BB's oughtta do him out past 30yards. Many a fox has been known to eat chickens and farm cats. A few coyotes too. GL.

Hi thanks for al the tips but the only real choice i have is the .22lr. Mine is a semi-auto Marlin model 60W. I was thinking of buying hollow pionts if they have them for .22lr. Any help would be appreciative. Also please help and tell me 2 things. 1.) what types of ammo are avalible for the .22lr?? and 2.) Can you put a 4X airgun scope on top of the .22?? Thnks in advance

Hunt,Fish,Live
I am an OutdoorsMAN

umm i am a 15 year old kid so maybe i can give you some advice if u are going to by shells for a 22 for bobcat i would bye the winchester suprem hollow points i have a 22 and i have shot a fox with those shells they can be hard to find though so if you can find them buy umm umm about the scope i dont se why not but i could be wrong but those shells will def work have fun hope u get ummmm

robertdutton, shot my first bobcat with a 22 using CCI Stingers.

Hit him in the throat at 25 yards, dropped him dead as a mackral.

I usually buy cheapo .22 ammo, and just use it for small game and coup de grace, but if you plan on hunting with it, you oughtta buy the premo stuff, even if it's a few more a box. Think about getting some CCI stingers, or mini-mags. I would recommend hollow points if you're going for heart/lung...but you'll need the weight of a solid if going for head shots (you don't really NEED solids, but they'll penetrate better than hollow points.) If I was hunting with a partner though, I'd still take the shotgun for the otherperson to use upclose or for passign shots.
You can use a bb gun scope, most of them say BB/.22 on them. But I'd invest in a 4x32. That's what I have on my 10/22 and thats really al lthe scope you need for a .22 anyways. You can get a decent one for around $30.

I too shot my first bob cat with a .22lr. Hollow point in the ear at 30 yards. I still have the hide on the wall and that was 10 years ago. Good luck. We all support young hunters.

Back