Carry Knife?

scared in Manhattan KS? As long as you arnt a pretty little blond girl out at night alone not much to worry about. Lived here a long time and have no problem walking anywhere or anytime. It really is a safe place.

Nah not scared at all. Manhattan really is very safe, maybe the safest city over 20,000 in the entire state. I grew up for 18 years in a town of 1000, where the most serious crime of the century is somebody going 5 over the speed limit down main. So in turn living in a town of 50,000 for the past couple years is I guess you can say a kind of a "culture shock". So to me, "bad stuff" is more statistically apt to happen here than what I was used to.

But again, I agree that this is a very safe place to live and I too would not hesitate walking anywhere day or night (not trespassing of course). This is more of a "why not be prepared just in case" type thing for me. I am in no way going about daily life paranoid or fearful.

Hmmm ......you may not want to hear this either but I'm gonna put it out there anyways after reading the rest of this thread. Given the additional info about how safe it is back there, your other post about 1700 more acres to hunt predators, low funds, your intent to get a knife, and about " being prepared just in case" In lieu of a self defense type knife, you might consider getting a high quality lock back folding trapper and a can of pepper spray. Since you brought up statistics, statistically speaking it seems more likely to me like you would get a lot more use out of it skinning critters and cleaning crud out from under your finger nails than its doubtful use as a PD knife and the can of pepper spray is there in the unlikely event its going to be used.......just in case.
JMHO

Edit to add,
PM me you addy and I'll send you a knife that meets your criteria.......Free!!!!
It ain't much but the price is right and you will feel better with it and you can put your good money into a good knife that you will use for the rest of your life............
Bob

Last edited:
I just orderd a kershaw clash assisted opener for 30 bucks and free shipping.bladeplay has everything you want and then some.I have heard other guys complain about thier service but I have bought from them for 5 years plus and never had a problem ever check it out it would be worth your time

I think you are right Blackdog, a can of pepper spray and a cheap knife will probably do me just fine. I highly doubt I will ever have to use either one in this town, though, it's better to be safe than sorry. I think you just saved me a handful of $$ and I thank you
smile.gif

And wow, you really don't have to do that, but if you insist, that is very nice of you!

I'm with GC and ARCOREY, no one walk's away from a knife fight unhurt. I too carry a knife everyday, use the heck outta it. But after the Zimmerman fiasco I analyzed what I wanted/needed for SD and a knife was way down the list. Pepper spray on the other hand is way up there.

But still for a cheap knife run down to your local Walmart and buy one of the Gerber "Bear Grylis" folding knifes. Right now they are phasing them out and around here they are on clearance. Under $20. Not pretty and not the highest quality but it fits my hand good and is sharp.

Too bad you can't carry the Kerswaw asisted knifes, some of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: CreekTrapperI think you are right Blackdog, a can of pepper spray and a cheap knife will probably do me just fine. I highly doubt I will ever have to use either one in this town, though, it's better to be safe than sorry. I think you just saved me a handful of $$ and I thank you
smile.gif

And wow, you really don't have to do that, but if you insist, that is very nice of you!

Your welcome and a package is headed to Kansas......
There are some real good fellas on this forum I'm proud to call a friend that have been very generous to me, I just ask you to pay it forward..........
Bob

With those legal limitations I think pepper spray would be a more practical choice for a defensive tool. Pepper sray will give you some stand off distance and faster incapacitation that a pocket knife.

Back